.lost and confused!!

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Laura \( '_' \), Nov 11, 2005.

  1. Hello

    Please forgive me if this is the wrong newsgroup, as I'm not sure where 2
    go. If it is, could some1 please direct me.

    Okay here is my problem:
    I'm running Windows 98 and when I shut down, I have a blue screen saying
    "shutting down". It does not budge from this screen and i have 2 turn it off
    manually and when i start it up again I get the message that "windows was
    not shut down properly,,,check your files"

    What is causing this?
    Thanks :)

    --
    @---}--
    Laura..... :)

    "Do you know where you're going to?"

    Laura \( '_' \), Nov 11, 2005

  2. Hi,

    First, I suggest you find out what Anti-Virus software you are running, then
    find the NG: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
    and tell them your story. This may not be your problem, but you are likely
    to find out.

    Also, you could try and not shut down from the Windows Start menu but Log
    Out, and shut down from the Log-in/Out dialog, if that works, it doesn't
    automatically mean the problem went away, just that your problem went into
    hiding!

    Good luck, Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 11, 2005

  3. okay dokay i shall try that.
    thankyou very much Tony!
    :)
    --
    @---}--
    Laura..... :)

    Laura \( '_' \), Nov 11, 2005
  4. You are most welcome.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 11, 2005
  5. Laura \( '_' \)

    Randy Guest

    Try doing a search from http://support.microsoft.com/search
    It's in the knowledge base; shutdown problem was fairly ubiquitous with
    Windows 98.

    Here you go:
    http://support.microsoft.com/search...3&query=Windows 98 shutdown problem&x=11&y=13

    The first hit should help...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;238096

    Randy, Nov 12, 2005
  6. Windows 98 has been known to crash often. Windows 98 is not a stable
    Operating system. It also sucks because it cannot format a partion over 2
    gb..

    =?Utf-8?B?amFzb25rcnVzZXI=?=, Nov 13, 2005
  7. Why do say Win98 cannot format a partition over 2GB? All of my Win98
    installations are running on 16GB or greater partitions that I formatted
    with the accompanying Win98 boot floppies. That includes Win98 first
    edition and second.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 13, 2005
  8. I do not have a floppy drive. I used Virtual PC 2004 to do this. When i
    wanted to use the whole drive, i got an error message" Partion is to large"

    =?Utf-8?B?amFzb25rcnVzZXI=?=, Nov 13, 2005
  9. That should not make any difference. You can use a floppy .iso image in the
    virtual cd drive the same as a real floppy. When you fdisk the virtual
    drive accept all the defaults and you enable large drive support. If you
    want other than the default 16GB drive, create the virtual hard disk first
    using the Virtual Disk Wizard and then point the new vm to it when you
    create the vm. Check out http://www.bootdisk.com/ for images and utilities
    you can use. I suggest you buy an external floppy drive (very inexpensive).
    Of course, you can also install an internal one if you prefer.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 13, 2005