    ON rebooting I noticed I had lost all my email from my deleted items file.

    I did a scanreg and tried a previous registration but the files are nowhere
    to be seen
    caroline, Dec 6, 2006

  2. caroline wrote:

    > WIN 98 IE 6

    ...and perhaps Outlook Express? This is mail, not a browsing question.

    > I just had a blank screen and the PC shutdown.

    I would be more worried about what caused the blank screen/shutdown than
    about files (email?) you already chose to delete.

    > ON rebooting I noticed I had lost all my email from my deleted items
    > file.

    Wasn't that the original intent? If you want to *keep* email, move it
    to a specific storage folder that you create.

    2006Mail (or similar)

    ...and don't let them grow too large. A few hundred megabytes maybe.

    > I did a scanreg and tried a previous registration but the files are
    > nowhere to be seen

    What is a "previous registration?"

    Have you tried a modern, secure email application?
    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#email

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 6, 2006

  3. caroline

    Gordon Guest

    caroline wrote:

    > WIN 98 IE 6
    >
    > I just had a blank screen and the PC shutdown.
    > ON rebooting I noticed I had lost all my email from my deleted items file.

    Oh no, not ANOTHER twit who uses the "Deleted Items" folder to KEEP things
    in - the Deleted Items Folder is for things you DON'T NEED TO KEEP! If you
    want to keep items, DON'T put them in the "deleted items" folder!

    Doh!
    Gordon, Dec 6, 2006
  4. Hiya caroline.

    In <news:rcCdh.305$> you wrote:

    > I just had a blank screen and the PC shutdown.
    > ON rebooting I noticed I had lost all my email from my deleted items file.

    And that's a bad thing because..?

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Bah humbug - Homepage: http://www.colinjones.co.uk ICQ# 1707811
    Ebeneezer Ponder, Dec 6, 2006
  5. caroline wrote:

    > WIN 98 IE 6
    >
    > I just had a blank screen and the PC shutdown.
    > ON rebooting I noticed I had lost all my email from my deleted items file.

    That's expected. "Deleted" items will sooner or later be permanently
    deleted. You should not put anything there you don't actually want to be
    deleted.

    > I did a scanreg and tried a previous registration but the files are
    > nowhere to be seen

    "scanreg" .... win9x?
    Well, that just restores a backup copy of your registry, not any files.
    Also remember, mail in outlook is kept in database files with index files
    (one per folder for OE, one huge *pst file for Office outlook). A
    unexpected shutdown will often trigger a repair run and index rebuild, with
    permanent deletion of the "deleted items" content.
    Walter Mautner, Dec 6, 2006
  6. caroline

    thanatoid Guest

    Gordon <> wrote in

    > caroline wrote:
    >
    >> WIN 98 IE 6
    >>
    >> I just had a blank screen and the PC shutdown.
    >> ON rebooting I noticed I had lost all my email from my
    >> deleted items file.
    >>

    > Oh no, not ANOTHER twit

    In this case, twat.

    > who uses the "Deleted Items" folder
    > to KEEP things in - the Deleted Items Folder is for things
    > you DON'T NEED TO KEEP! If you want to keep items, DON'T
    > put them in the "deleted items" folder!
    >
    > Doh!

    OP (original poster): Look up "deleted" in the dictionary.

    t.

    --
    Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.
    thanatoid, Dec 7, 2006
  7. caroline

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 17:07:11 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >caroline wrote:
    >
    >> WIN 98 IE 6

    >..and perhaps Outlook Express? This is mail, not a browsing question.
    >
    >> I just had a blank screen and the PC shutdown.

    >I would be more worried about what caused the blank screen/shutdown than
    >about files (email?) you already chose to delete.
    >
    >> ON rebooting I noticed I had lost all my email from my deleted items
    >> file.

    >Wasn't that the original intent? If you want to *keep* email, move it
    >to a specific storage folder that you create.
    >
    > 2006Mail (or similar)
    >
    >..and don't let them grow too large. A few hundred megabytes maybe.
    >
    >> I did a scanreg and tried a previous registration but the files are
    >> nowhere to be seen

    >What is a "previous registration?"
    >
    >Have you tried a modern, secure email application?
    >http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#email

    Oh come on, this is Caroline, who has brought us such gems as
    "I am running OE5 should I get 6"
    "I have NTL 4 meg broadband which is running not slow but slow slow.
    What checks can I do"
    "What is best? wi fi through a slot card or through the laptop USB
    port."
    "Does anyone know anything about the above Sony PCG 9N 1M Laptop.
    Does it require a recall battery and how much RAM would it have"
    Evan Platt, Dec 7, 2006
  8. caroline

    thanatoid Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote
    in news:3NCdh.159383$Fi1.94953@bgtnsc05-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

    <S N I P>

    > Have you tried a modern, secure email application?
    > http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#email

    Hi Mr. S.

    I'm the guy who suggested you put OffByOne on your page. Having
    just looked again (my memory is short) at the e-mail clients you
    suggest, I noticed they are all between 5.5 and 12 MB or
    something.

    How about putting up a link to a POP client called nPop which is
    an under 100KB DL (and an optional 540KB SSL DL) and which - IMO
    - does everything anyone who does not run a business needs? The
    program IS in English (or Japanese), there is no help file, and
    the author speaks almost no English, but there are some links to
    help if needed. Anyway, if you understand how mail works, you
    should not have any problems. Oh, and by the way, death to
    webmail.

    http://www.nakka.com/soft/npop/index_eng.html
    http://www.npopsupport.org.uk

    Regards
    t.

    --
    Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.
    thanatoid, Dec 7, 2006
  9. caroline

    thanatoid Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote
    in news:3NCdh.159383$Fi1.94953@bgtnsc05-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

    <S N I P>

    > Have you tried a modern, secure email application?
    > http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#email

    Hi Mr. S.

    I'm the guy who suggested you put OffByOne on your page. Having
    just looked again (my memory is short) at the e-mail clients you
    suggest, I noticed they are all between 5.5 and 12 MB or
    something.

    How about putting up a link to a POP client called nPop which is
    an under 100KB DL (and an optional 540KB SSL DL) and which - IMO
    - does everything anyone who does not run a business needs?
    There is no help file, and the author speaks almost no English,
    but there are some links to help if needed. If you understand

    thanatoid, Dec 7, 2006
  10. thanatoid wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >> Have you tried a modern, secure email application?
    >> http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#email

    > Hi Mr. S.

    Hello t.

    > I'm the guy who suggested you put OffByOne on your page. Having just
    > looked again (my memory is short) at the e-mail clients you suggest,
    > I noticed they are all between 5.5 and 12 MB or something.

    ...except OffByOne. <g>

    > How about putting up a link to a POP client called nPop which is an
    > under 100KB DL (and an optional 540KB SSL DL) and which - IMO - does
    > everything anyone who does not run a business needs? The program IS
    > in English (or Japanese), there is no help file, and the author
    > speaks almost no English, but there are some links to help if needed.
    > Anyway, if you understand how mail works, you should not have any
    > problems.

    > Oh, and by the way, death to webmail.

    Hey! I use it when I am traveling!

    > http://www.nakka.com/soft/npop/index_eng.html
    > http://www.npopsupport.org.uk

    I'll think about this. Maybe English-speakers (those for whom the page
    was written) may be turned away by the Japanese.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 7, 2006
  11. caroline

    caroline Guest

    OK
    So I am a girl who is thick but what I don't understand all you " studs " is
    how the bloody file just disappeared.
    I have run my antivirirus which is clean so how can this file just get
    deleted.

    Caroline

    caroline, Dec 7, 2006
  12. "caroline" <> wrote in

    > WIN 98 IE 6
    >
    > I just had a blank screen and the PC shutdown.
    > ON rebooting I noticed I had lost all my email from my deleted items
    > file.
    >
    > I did a scanreg and tried a previous registration but the files are
    > nowhere to be seen

    Just isolating the "lost all my email..." issue from everything else:

    In OE6, Tools > Options > Maintenance tab; there are several options under
    the "Cleaning Up Messages" area...

    If the first 2 two are checked, your email messages that were previously in
    the Deleted folder are likely just gone. You might want to consider
    unchecking the first 2. You can periodically do this manually via your
    "Clean Up Now..." button.

    As far as the hard boot in Win98, been through a few of those, just seemed
    to be part of the program back then, so it's pretty essential to have your
    settings under control a good back-up strategy.

    Higher beings from outer space
    may not want to tell us all the secrets of life,
    because, in their little grey minds,
    we're not quite ready for that advanced step - yet.

    But maybe they'll change their superior tune - after a little torture.
    Bucky Breeder, Dec 7, 2006
  13. caroline

    Guest

    As long as you haven't used the computer too much since a file was
    deleted, it can be undeleted using restoration 2514 available free from

    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

    The download is a self extracting zip file. Unzip it to a folder on
    your desktop and read the included readme.txt for instructions.

    This program will undelete any recoverable file incl. files removed
    from the recycle bin and also shift-deleted.

    english_d
    , Dec 7, 2006
  14. caroline

    thanatoid Guest

    "caroline" <> wrote in

    > OK
    > So I am a girl who is thick but what I don't understand all
    > you " studs " is how the bloody file just disappeared.
    > I have run my antivirirus which is clean so how can this
    > file just get deleted.

    Hi caroline
    thank you for not getting upset about my little twit-twat joke.

    I do not use Microsoft products for email so I don't know
    EXACTLY what happened, but here is what I would guess did:

    You had a bunch of stuff in the "deleted" folder which is kind
    of like the "recycle bin" in that you can get stuff out of there
    (unless SOMETHING happens) in case you change your mind.

    You computer crashed. Fairly normal, unfortunately.

    While restarting the computer, the OS (operating system)
    "understood" that whatever was in the "recycle bin" AND any
    "deleted" (or if you prefer, "TO BE deleted permanently at some
    point") folders WAS in fact NOW to BE deleted PERMANENETLY, so
    it did just that.

    Until I found a little mail program which is a tiny marvel
    (nPop) with NO problems of any kind (I used an old version of
    Eudora before), I would often copy and save the text of all my
    important mails - categorized by person - in files located
    elsewhere. I would suggest you consider doing something like
    that.

    AFA "Restoration" which another poster suggests, it IS a great
    little free program which works very well in 99% of the cases IF
    YOU DID NOTHING ON THE DRIVE IN THE MEANTIME. Even had you done
    nothing except for posting about this, your lost emails (or a
    large part of them, I don't know if they are stored individually
    or as one weirdo Microsoft-style file) are probably gone,
    overwritten by the new activity.

    (The reasons "Restoration" and other programs like it work is
    that "delete" does not REALLY delete files, just makes them
    APPEAR to be gone, but that's another subject. The "Recycle Bin"
    just confuses things, which Microsoft enjoys doing.)

    Best wishes,
    t.

    P.S.
    Most of us are not studs, but overweight geeks with low
    testosterone levels who haven't touched a woman in years.
    thanatoid, Dec 7, 2006
  15. caroline

    thanatoid Guest

    Bucky Breeder <>
    wrote in news:Xns98924D70E1ED2WeeZurD@216.151.153.21:

    <SNIP>

    >Higher beings from outer space
    >may not want to tell us all the secrets of life,
    >because, in their little grey minds,
    >we're not quite ready for that advanced step - yet.

    >But maybe they'll change their superior tune - after a little

    torture.

    Like Vista?
    thanatoid, Dec 7, 2006
  16. thanatoid <> wrote in

    >>Higher beings from outer space
    >>may not want to tell us all the secrets of life,
    >>because, in their little grey minds,
    >>we're not quite ready for that advanced step - yet.

    >>But maybe they'll change their superior tune - after a little

    > torture.
    >
    > Like Vista?

    LOL! Ahhh HAA! YEEikes - the plan has been exposed?

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 7, 2006
  17. caroline

    Guest

    caroline wrote:
    > OK
    > So I am a girl who is thick but what I don't understand all you " studs " is
    > how the bloody file just disappeared.
    > I have run my antivirirus which is clean so how can this file just get
    > deleted.

    Since you mentioned that you're using IE6, I assume that
    you're using Outlook Express. I haven't used OE for awhile,
    but IIRC, it has an option to have or NOT have all items
    in your Deleted folder cleared automatically when you exit
    OE. Maybe you ticked the option to clear it ?
    , Dec 7, 2006
  18. caroline

    Frosty Guest

    On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 16:28:07 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk a thought
    sat on "caroline" <>'s chest like a vulture, I
    said "Pluck It! And with the feather I'll tickle your throat and you
    can throw it up to me" Said he "I shall" & thus puked:
    >WIN 98 IE 6
    >
    >I just had a blank screen and the PC shutdown.
    >ON rebooting I noticed I had lost all my email from my deleted items file.

    AND??
    Frosty, Dec 9, 2006