    upgraded to FF 1.05.06 and ALL my bookmark links are
    gone......not happened before Help!!!!!
    Ron

    Rufus Frodo, Sep 7, 2006

  2. Mozilla Champion (Dan), Sep 7, 2006

  3. I'm bumping this thread because losing bookmarks seems to be a common
    problem with Firefox. I have lost all my bookmarks -- AGAIN. I just
    spent twenty minutes searching Firefox's 'knowledge base' and found a
    set of instructions for restoring bookmarks, which I will now go spend
    at least another 20 minutes actually doing. What a waste of my time.
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks#Recovering_lost_bookmarks

    I didn't upgrade to FF 2.0 -- but it 'upgraded' itself spontaneously,
    without asking me, to version 1.5.0.7, whereupon it changed my home
    page (without asking me). In addition to the loss of bookmarks, I
    find this change of home page to be very irritating.

    Does anybody have a suggestion for a more user-friendly browser,
    before I just give up and go back to using (shudder) Internet
    Explorer? I am using Windows XP.

    Thanks in advance.

    -Joanne

    Joanne Corsano, Oct 30, 2006
  4. Rufus Frodo

    Doug G Guest

    Joanne Corsano wrote:
    > I'm bumping this thread because losing bookmarks seems to be a common
    > problem with Firefox. I have lost all my bookmarks -- AGAIN. I just
    > spent twenty minutes searching Firefox's 'knowledge base' and found a
    > set of instructions for restoring bookmarks, which I will now go spend
    > at least another 20 minutes actually doing. What a waste of my time.
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks#Recovering_lost_bookmarks
    >
    > I didn't upgrade to FF 2.0 -- but it 'upgraded' itself spontaneously,
    > without asking me, to version 1.5.0.7, whereupon it changed my home
    > page (without asking me). In addition to the loss of bookmarks, I
    > find this change of home page to be very irritating.
    >
    > Does anybody have a suggestion for a more user-friendly browser,
    > before I just give up and go back to using (shudder) Internet
    > Explorer? I am using Windows XP.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -Joanne
    >
    >>upgraded to FF 1.05.06 and ALL my bookmark links are
    >>gone......not happened before Help!!!!!
    >> Ron

    I've never experienced the "lost bookmarks" problem.

    In Firefox 2.0 automatic updates can be disabled by unchecking a couple
    of boxes in Tools > Options > Advanced > Updates. Firefox 1.5.0.x has
    similar options.

    Doug G, Oct 30, 2006
  5. Joanne Corsano wrote:
    > I'm bumping this thread because losing bookmarks seems to be a common
    > problem with Firefox. I have lost all my bookmarks -- AGAIN. I just
    > spent twenty minutes searching Firefox's 'knowledge base' and found a
    > set of instructions for restoring bookmarks, which I will now go spend
    > at least another 20 minutes actually doing. What a waste of my time.
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks#Recovering_lost_bookmarks
    >
    > I didn't upgrade to FF 2.0 -- but it 'upgraded' itself spontaneously,
    > without asking me, to version 1.5.0.7, whereupon it changed my home
    > page (without asking me). In addition to the loss of bookmarks, I
    > find this change of home page to be very irritating.
    >
    > Does anybody have a suggestion for a more user-friendly browser,
    > before I just give up and go back to using (shudder) Internet
    > Explorer? I am using Windows XP.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -Joanne
    >
    >> upgraded to FF 1.05.06 and ALL my bookmark links are
    >> gone......not happened before Help!!!!!
    >> Ron

    Like Doug, i have also never experienced the loss of bookmarks, this
    experience dating back to Phoenix 0.3. Its a minority of users who do
    experience it, hence FF starting to push towards the 15% level of market
    share. its a small number of people who do experience it, but
    significant enough a number that the developers built in the bookmarks
    backup folder. They would do more, but they really don't know why some
    people are experiencing this when most do not.

    I do not mean to trivialize your problem, and I can understand your
    looking for other options. You could try SeaMonkey:

    if your problems are mostly related to auto update, SeaMonkey does not
    have an auto update per se. It warns you when a new version is
    available, but you still have to download and install manually. It will
    eventually have an auto updater, but, by then we hope the problem will
    be in the past.

    You might also look at Opera:

    http://www.opera.com/

    Its a worthy product. I far prefer Firefox, but then, if my bookmarks
    were disappearing, I might not feel so sure.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 30, 2006
  6. Rufus Frodo

    Stubby Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Joanne Corsano wrote:
    >> I'm bumping this thread because losing bookmarks seems to be a common
    >> problem with Firefox. I have lost all my bookmarks -- AGAIN. I just
    >> spent twenty minutes searching Firefox's 'knowledge base' and found a
    >> set of instructions for restoring bookmarks, which I will now go spend
    >> at least another 20 minutes actually doing. What a waste of my time.
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks#Recovering_lost_bookmarks
    >>
    >> I didn't upgrade to FF 2.0 -- but it 'upgraded' itself spontaneously,
    >> without asking me, to version 1.5.0.7, whereupon it changed my home
    >> page (without asking me). In addition to the loss of bookmarks, I
    >> find this change of home page to be very irritating.
    >> Does anybody have a suggestion for a more user-friendly browser,
    >> before I just give up and go back to using (shudder) Internet
    >> Explorer? I am using Windows XP.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> -Joanne
    >>> upgraded to FF 1.05.06 and ALL my bookmark links are gone......not
    >>> happened before Help!!!!!
    >>> Ron

    > Like Doug, i have also never experienced the loss of bookmarks, this
    > experience dating back to Phoenix 0.3. Its a minority of users who do
    > experience it, hence FF starting to push towards the 15% level of market
    > share. its a small number of people who do experience it, but
    > significant enough a number that the developers built in the bookmarks
    > backup folder. They would do more, but they really don't know why some
    > people are experiencing this when most do not.
    >
    > I do not mean to trivialize your problem, and I can understand your
    > looking for other options. You could try SeaMonkey:
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
    >
    > if your problems are mostly related to auto update, SeaMonkey does not
    > have an auto update per se. It warns you when a new version is
    > available, but you still have to download and install manually. It will
    > eventually have an auto updater, but, by then we hope the problem will
    > be in the past.
    >
    > You might also look at Opera:
    >
    > http://www.opera.com/
    >
    > Its a worthy product. I far prefer Firefox, but then, if my bookmarks
    > were disappearing, I might not feel so sure.

    My limited experience suggest that lost bookmarks and the like occur
    when a new version is installed and allowed to create and use a new
    "default" profile. You can probably dig up your old profile and copy
    the files from it into the new default that is currently in use. Or
    maybe the profile manager will help you select the profile that has your
    good stuff in it. This is a very weak part of the Mozilla products.

    Stubby, Oct 30, 2006