Lost Account

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by SkyPilot, Jun 23, 2005.

  1. SkyPilot

    SkyPilot Guest

    Today when I turned on my computer and started TB, I was presented with "New
    Account Setup."

    My old Inbox was gone and so where my 600+ e-mail addresses. I am lucky
    that I frequently backup my e-mail addresses.

    Any idea what happened? And where does TB store the inbox? Is there any
    chance I can recover my old e-mail?

    Thanks

    Brian
    Brian J. Rueger | Hampton Div. of Fire & Rescue | "Who dares wins"
    Lt./Paramedic | Fire Communications Officer | Hampton, VA.
    B.S. Comm/I/SEL Pilot | MSgt, USAF (Ret.) 49199 | NREMT-P
    Check out my home page: http://members.cox.net/brueger
    Some of my photography: http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/34185.html
    "Life's too short to drink LITE beer!"

    SkyPilot, Jun 23, 2005

  2. SkyPilot

    Z Guest

    SkyPilot wrote:
    > Today when I turned on my computer and started TB, I was presented with "New
    > Account Setup."
    >
    > My old Inbox was gone and so where my 600+ e-mail addresses. I am lucky
    > that I frequently backup my e-mail addresses.
    >
    > Any idea what happened? And where does TB store the inbox? Is there any
    > chance I can recover my old e-mail?

    How recent is your backup?

    Do you have your whole TB profile backed up?

    Do you see your old profile on the hard drive?

    Z, Jun 24, 2005

  3. SkyPilot

    Ed Mullen Guest

    SkyPilot wrote:

    > Today when I turned on my computer and started TB, I was presented with "New
    > Account Setup."
    >
    > My old Inbox was gone and so where my 600+ e-mail addresses. I am lucky
    > that I frequently backup my e-mail addresses.
    >
    > Any idea what happened? And where does TB store the inbox? Is there any
    > chance I can recover my old e-mail?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Brian

    Unless something very odd happened your profile and email are probably
    still there. See: http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_profile.html for
    locations. In the account folder under the mail folder of your profile
    will be files corresponding to your Tbird mail folders such as:

    Inbox
    Junk
    Trash, etc.

    Also there will be corresponding index files such as:

    Inbox.msf
    Junk.msf
    Trash.msf, etc.

    The files withOUT a .msf extension contain your mail messages.

    Here are a couple of great pages dealing with profiles and
    recovering/transferring data from one profile to another:

    http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html
    http://ilias.ca/mozilla/profilefaq/#transferring

    You should backup your profile(s) on a regular basis. See:
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html. Do not backup the cache
    folder(s), there's no need and it takes up too much space in the backup.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jun 24, 2005
  4. SkyPilot

    SkyPilot Guest

    Z <> pounded on the keyboard and wrote:

    >SkyPilot wrote:
    >> Today when I turned on my computer and started TB, I was presented with "New
    >> Account Setup."
    >>
    >> My old Inbox was gone and so where my 600+ e-mail addresses. I am lucky
    >> that I frequently backup my e-mail addresses.
    >>
    >> Any idea what happened? And where does TB store the inbox? Is there any
    >> chance I can recover my old e-mail?

    >How recent is your backup?
    >
    >Do you have your whole TB profile backed up?
    >
    >Do you see your old profile on the hard drive?

    Never did a profile backup.

    I will from now on.

    SkyPilot, Jun 25, 2005