Lost 500MB of files - beyond recovery?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Terry Pinnell, Oct 19, 2005.

  1. I downloaded about 380 MP3 tracks overnight, total about 490 MB.
    Worked on them for a couple of hours this morning. Played maybe a
    dozen in my player/organiser, MediaMonkey, while editing filenames,
    titles, artist etc. Viewed them in WinXP Explorer, and also
    made some filename changes with Bulk Rename Utility.

    Suddenly, they all vanished from the Media Monkey window, and from
    Explorer. I was dismayed to find that the files appear to have somehow
    been deleted beyond recovery. Not in Recycle Bin. And Norton Unerase
    Wizard could find none of them. Nor did using XP Find across the
    entire HD.

    Pretty scary to suddenly lose such a massive amount of data like this!

    A chkdsk on both my OS partition C: and my data partition D: found no
    errors.

    Someone in the MediaMonkey Forum replied:
    "the rria has made a virus they put on some of the servers and it is
    now out in the real world and will send them your computer info and
    delete songs if you got them from an illegal download site."

    My downloads may well have included some which were 'illegal' in
    the strictest sense, although I'm confident the great majority were
    not. I was using my NewsRover program, trying to get some 1940s 'hit
    songs' from 3 binaries newsgroups (alt.binaries.sounds.1940s.mp3,
    etc). I planned to select a few to accompany a DVD-based slideshow I'm
    making for some elderly family members, based on old scanned photos.

    Googling turned up a few reports of some bizarre RIAA-developed
    malware (Nopir.B worm?), which indiscriminately wipes MP3s, presumably
    in a sort of misguided vigilante spirit, but Spybot and Adaware found
    nothing (after the event).

    Anyone know any more about that please? Would Spybot have found it OK?

    Any other ideas on the cause?

    And finally any suggestions on recovery please?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 19, 2005

  2. Terry Pinnell

    fred-bloggs Guest

    Terry Pinnell <> wrote in

    > I downloaded about 380 MP3 tracks overnight, total about 490 MB.
    > Worked on them for a couple of hours this morning. Played maybe a
    > dozen in my player/organiser, MediaMonkey, while editing filenames,
    > titles, artist etc. Viewed them in WinXP Explorer, and also
    > made some filename changes with Bulk Rename Utility.
    >
    > Suddenly, they all vanished from the Media Monkey window, and from
    > Explorer. I was dismayed to find that the files appear to have somehow
    > been deleted beyond recovery. Not in Recycle Bin. And Norton Unerase
    > Wizard could find none of them. Nor did using XP Find across the
    > entire HD.
    >
    > Pretty scary to suddenly lose such a massive amount of data like this!
    >
    > A chkdsk on both my OS partition C: and my data partition D: found no
    > errors.
    >
    > Someone in the MediaMonkey Forum replied:
    > "the rria has made a virus they put on some of the servers and it is
    > now out in the real world and will send them your computer info and
    > delete songs if you got them from an illegal download site."
    >
    > My downloads may well have included some which were 'illegal' in
    > the strictest sense, although I'm confident the great majority were
    > not. I was using my NewsRover program, trying to get some 1940s 'hit
    > songs' from 3 binaries newsgroups (alt.binaries.sounds.1940s.mp3,
    > etc). I planned to select a few to accompany a DVD-based slideshow I'm
    > making for some elderly family members, based on old scanned photos.
    >
    > Googling turned up a few reports of some bizarre RIAA-developed
    > malware (Nopir.B worm?), which indiscriminately wipes MP3s, presumably
    > in a sort of misguided vigilante spirit, but Spybot and Adaware found
    > nothing (after the event).
    >
    > Anyone know any more about that please? Would Spybot have found it OK?
    >
    > Any other ideas on the cause?
    >
    > And finally any suggestions on recovery please?

    I don't know about any malware but PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery
    http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm
    is free. You need enough space on another hard drive to store the
    recovered files.

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, Oct 19, 2005

  3. "fred-bloggs" <> wrote:

    >I don't know about any malware but PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery
    >http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm
    >is free. You need enough space on another hard drive to store the
    >recovered files.

    Thanks - about to try it right away.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 20, 2005
  4. Terry Pinnell

    Alan Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > "fred-bloggs" <> wrote:
    >

    >>I don't know about any malware but PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery
    >>http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm
    >>is free. You need enough space on another hard drive to store the
    >>recovered files.

    > Thanks - about to try it right away.

    years ago, I accidentally formatted and re-installed Windows on the
    wrong drive. (I now unplug the data drive when re-installing the OS)
    and was able to get them restored via a data-recovery company. Cost me
    a pretty penny tho. But 300 tagged MP3s was worth it.

    Alan, Oct 22, 2005