    Adobe confirm this to be the case? I have also searched the Adobe
    website but without any joy.

    Many thanks.

    Joe Maldon, Jul 15, 2007

  2. Joe Maldon wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can someone please confirm whether or not Photoshop Elements 5.0
    > supports lossless rotation please.
    >
    > I have googled but couldn't find anything specific relating to version
    > 5. There are various posts relating to this - suggestions that
    > lossless rotation can be done in the browser. Is this correct and can
    > Adobe confirm this to be the case? I have also searched the Adobe
    > website but without any joy.

    Here's a couple of quotes about Photoshop and lossless rotation from
    http://photoshop.tribe.net/thread/ddd72479-24c8-4eb1-9d9f-f8bab829e0d6

    "Why is it that Photoshop, The king of all photo editing programs does
    not seem to have lossless rotation of images?"
    -----------------
    "There are a few specialized operations that can be done on a JPEG file
    without decompressing it, and thus without incurring the generational
    loss that you'd normally get from loading and re-saving the image in a
    regular image editor. In particular it is possible to do 90-degree
    rotations and flips losslessly, if the image dimensions are a multiple
    of the file's block size (typically 16x16, 16x8, or 8x8 pixels for color
    JPEGs). This fact used to be just an academic curiosity, but it has
    assumed practical importance recently because many users of digital
    cameras would like to be able to rotate their images from landscape to
    portrait format without incurring loss ---
    and practically all digicams that produce JPEG files produce images of
    the right dimensions for these operations to work. So software that can
    do lossless JPEG transforms has started to pop up. But you do need
    special software; rotating the image in a regular image editor won't be
    lossless."

    "The orientation of a .jpg image when viewed is determined by a 1
    through 4 numerical value in the position field of the file. Lossless
    rotation simply changes this number from, say, a 1 to a 2. Nothing else
    in the file is changed."

    But you can use JPEG Lossless Rotator 5.0 from Download.com

    How to test that it's really lossless:
    http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/lossless-rotation-test.html

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 15, 2007