    connectivity..." for just a few seconds, then regains the connection.

    Any ideas? Thanks.

    , Mar 23, 2006

  2. Duane Arnold Guest

    wrote:
    > I just bought a Toshiba laptop. It has an internal wireless card. It
    > keeps losing the wireless connection. It says "...has limited or no
    > connectivity..." for just a few seconds, then regains the connection.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks.

    If this is an XP O/S laptop are you sure the Wireless Zero Configuration
    Service is not making the card roam looking for other networks in your
    area?

    That may case the machine to drop the connection to your wireless as it
    tries to connect to other networks in your area.

    Do you have the Preferred Network set in the configuration of the
    wireless NIC so that it stays locked in on your network.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 23, 2006

  3. Duane Arnold Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I just bought a Toshiba laptop. It has an internal wireless card. It
    >> keeps losing the wireless connection. It says "...has limited or no
    >> connectivity..." for just a few seconds, then regains the connection.
    >>
    >> Any ideas? Thanks.
    >>

    > If this is an XP O/S laptop are you sure the Wireless Zero Configuration
    > Service is not making the card roam looking for other networks in your
    > area?
    >
    > That may case the machine to drop the connection to your wireless as it
    > tries to connect to other networks in your area.

    Correction above --- That may cause the machine to drop the connection.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 23, 2006
  4. Guest

    Sounds like you know your stuff.

    It is indeed XP.

    Where do I go to figure out all these things you mention? I don't know
    what a NIC is.

    Thanks! --Matt

    , Mar 23, 2006
  5. Duane Arnold Guest

    wrote:
    > Sounds like you know your stuff.
    >
    > It is indeed XP.
    >
    > Where do I go to figure out all these things you mention?

    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/a/automaticwifixp.htm.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q313242

    Now you could be having some interference too. If the problem continues,
    then you may want to seek-out a wireless NG for more information.

    > I don't know
    > what a NIC is.

    A NIC is (Network Interface Card) that allows a computer to connect to a
    network. It can be a wired NIC or a wireless NIC.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 23, 2006
  6. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-03-23, <> wrote:
    > I just bought a Toshiba laptop. It has an internal wireless card. It
    > keeps losing the wireless connection. It says "...has limited or no
    > connectivity..." for just a few seconds, then regains the connection.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks.

    Weak signal? Interference from other 'wireless' gadgets?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 23, 2006
  7. jump Guest

    I had the same problem, also a toshiba, getting signal intermitently.
    Now it is not happening, but I have not been able to trace the problem
    to one specific thing.

    Among the things I changed are:
    downloaded the latest driver from Toshiba update
    downloaded the latest firmware for my wireless router (linkys in my
    case)

    Other things that happened and might have helped:
    I moved - It is said that routers, wireless phones signals, and
    microwaves, do not befriend each other. Some neighbor might have had a
    huge rumford coil; likely where I was studying...

    Other things I tried to no help:
    Changed wireless channels
    Changed distance to PC (it didnt matter if I was 2 feet away or 40)

    My hunch on what was happening is some bouncing-resonation between the
    power control of the card, and competing networks. I used to see in the
    network monitor (netstumbler), the signal of the preferred network
    going up and down erratically.

    My half cent...

    J!

    jump, Mar 23, 2006
  8. Guest

    My router is set as the only router in the preferred list.

    I've tried various settings (e.g. switching channels), but no joy.

    Every 3-4 minutes the connection is lost. Sometimes gets re-retrieved
    immediately, sometimes after a minute or so.

    I wonder whether there's something wrong with this new laptop I just
    bought.

    The other computers in our house don't lose their connections, and
    they're located much farther away from the router than I am.

    Darn, I was hoping somebody on this newsgroup would have some idea what
    to do.

    Thanks for trying anyway.

    , Mar 24, 2006
  9. Duane Arnold Guest

    > Every 3-4 minutes the connection is lost. Sometimes gets re-retrieved
    > immediately, sometimes after a minute or so.
    >
    > I wonder whether there's something wrong with this new laptop I just
    > bought.

    It's possible that something could be defective with the card.

    Have you tried downloading the card's driver from it's Website and
    reinstalling it?

    Sometimes, that may fix it.

    There is also the option of checking with a wireless NG. They are out there.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 24, 2006
  10. Guest

    I may have fixed the problem. Hasn't happened for the past 5 minutes,
    ever since I switched off the following programs:

    Avast Antivirus
    Zone Alarm (firewall)
    Spybot S&D
    Winpatrol

    Any ideas which one it could be?

    If the problem recurs, I certainly will seek help on a wireless
    newsgroup.

    Thanks.

    --Matt

    , Mar 24, 2006
  11. Duane Arnold Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I may have fixed the problem. Hasn't happened for the past 5 minutes,
    > ever since I switched off the following programs:
    >
    > Avast Antivirus
    > Zone Alarm (firewall)
    > Spybot S&D
    > Winpatrol
    >
    > Any ideas which one it could be?
    >
    > If the problem recurs, I certainly will seek help on a wireless
    > newsgroup.

    If anything, I would lean towards ZA. You do have ZA set to allow the router
    to discover the machines on the LAN. That would be you set ZA to trust the
    router's device IP so that the router communicates with them with
    acknowledgement traffic between the machines and the router.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 24, 2006
  12. Guest

    By experiment I have determined that the problem is Avast Antivirus.

    I've tried various settings, but the problem still occurs.

    Think I'll just look for a different free antivirus program.

    Any suggestions?

    (I'm really delighted to have discovered the source of the problem,
    since it's so frustrating to have the Internet connection go down all
    the time that way.)

    Matt

    , Mar 24, 2006
  13. Duane Arnold Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > By experiment I have determined that the problem is Avast Antivirus.

    I find that questionable. I see no reason as to some AV solution causing the
    machine with a wireless connection to drop it's connection between the
    wireless router AP and the wireless NIC --- loose the signal or
    transmission..

    > I've tried various settings, but the problem still occurs.

    If this AV is being used on other machine that are wireless on the LAN and
    they too were dropping the signal, you might have a case.

    > Think I'll just look for a different free antivirus program.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    You should seek out an AV NG about other free solutions. I think AVG seems
    to come to mine as a free solution. You should also talk to the AV people
    and talk about your AV concerns and wireless. I think you'll get the same
    response as I am giving.

    > (I'm really delighted to have discovered the source of the problem,
    > since it's so frustrating to have the Internet connection go down all
    > the time that way.)

    You may want to drop a line in a wireless NG as I just cannot see the AV
    being an issue with a wireless connection.

    It's just my take on it.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 24, 2006
  14. Guest

    You're right.

    For some reason, when I stopped the antivirus program I didn't lose my
    connection, but that wasn't the problem after all.

    In fact, it wasn't any of the 4 programs I mentioned.

    Even after stopping all 4, I continue to get the problem--though less
    often.

    I've gone to a wireless newsgroup and now I'm thinking it's just
    interference.

    After all, I have not only a wireless home with 4 computers, but my 2
    Tivo's are connected to it too. Plus all these cell phones, etc.

    The reason it never happened before, I theorize, is that now I have a
    new computer with the latest and greatest wireless hardware/software.
    It detects wireless signals from a block away. So the possibility for
    interference is greater.

    So I've changed the channel on my internal wireless card, and we'll see
    whether that helps.

    , Mar 25, 2006
  15. Duane Arnold Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > You're right.

    I told you. :)

    > For some reason, when I stopped the antivirus program I didn't lose my
    > connection, but that wasn't the problem after all.
    >
    > In fact, it wasn't any of the 4 programs I mentioned.
    >
    > Even after stopping all 4, I continue to get the problem--though less
    > often.
    >
    > I've gone to a wireless newsgroup and now I'm thinking it's just
    > interference.

    A good move and you listen to some Top Guns in the NG.
    Most likely it is interference.

    > After all, I have not only a wireless home with 4 computers, but my 2
    > Tivo's are connected to it too. Plus all these cell phones, etc.

    It seems you have some $$$$$ in the pocket.

    > The reason it never happened before, I theorize, is that now I have a
    > new computer with the latest and greatest wireless hardware/software.
    > It detects wireless signals from a block away. So the possibility for
    > interference is greater.

    Ok.

    > So I've changed the channel on my internal wireless card, and we'll see
    > whether that helps.

    Try to find one the is kind of obscure.

    You seem to be on the right track and I wish you the best of luck, as
    wireless can be flakey to say the least about it.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 25, 2006
  16. Guest

    Well, we have teenagers, and they can't function without a cell phone
    glued to their ear. :)

    When I changed to channel 11 I was still getting drops, then changed to
    channel 6.

    Then I re-installed Zone Alarm and the antivirus program (this time
    AVG) but kept getting the lost connection, but continued to get it
    every now and then when neither one was installed.

    So now I'm using the Windows firewall along with the 1-year free trial
    of EZ Anti-Virus (recommended by Windows), and I have yet to have a
    dropped connection.

    But let's say it's interference. The dropped connections have been
    during the evening hours, when most people use the Internet. I'm
    anxious to see what happens this evening.

    Will keep you posted.

    Thanks for the help.

    , Mar 25, 2006
  17. Guest

    Okay, since I uninstalled AVG (and previous Avast) antivirus programs,
    and installed EZ Antivirus, and uninstalled Zone Alarm and turned on
    the Windows firewall, I've yet to have my wireless connection dropped.

    So I'm thinking there's something about the way Zone Alarm interacts
    with the antivirus programs, or something. Who knows? Anyway, I'm
    glad the problem is now solved.

    Of course it could just be that whichever neighbor of mine had a signal
    that was interfering with my wireless has been out of town the last few
    days.

    , Mar 28, 2006
  18. Duane Arnold Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Okay, since I uninstalled AVG (and previous Avast) antivirus programs,
    > and installed EZ Antivirus, and uninstalled Zone Alarm and turned on
    > the Windows firewall, I've yet to have my wireless connection dropped.
    >
    > So I'm thinking there's something about the way Zone Alarm interacts
    > with the antivirus programs, or something. Who knows? Anyway, I'm
    > glad the problem is now solved.

    I am leaning towards that piece of crap ZA. I am surprised you were able to
    uninstall it.

    > Of course it could just be that whichever neighbor of mine had a signal
    > that was interfering with my wireless has been out of town the last few
    > days.

    Like I said, wireless is flakey to say the least about it.

    Duane :)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 28, 2006