    Any fixes?

    Regards
    Lee Davison
    Lee Davison, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Lee Davison

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Lee Davison said:

    > Win Me, 512ddr ram, AMD 200xp, ie6, oe 6.
    >
    > It seems my computer is not allocating its Ram correctly. After I have open
    > and subsequently closed several screens or programs, I get an error message
    > saying there is not enough memory to run this program. I have Freeram
    > running which indicates the current ram usage and true enough it drops with
    > every open programme and does not come back up. Even using Freeram to free
    > the ram does not give me much extra if any. Usually when it drops to below
    > 80 ish i lose the bottom grey windows bar and have to reboot.
    > I remember i was once advised to change the wording of a text file in the
    > windows folder which somehow related to ram and i wonder if this was the
    > problem although its been fine for the last year.
    > Any fixes?
    >
    > Regards
    > Lee Davison

    Your OS is total crap.
    Brian H¹©, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Lee Davison

    ICee Guest

    Lee Davison wrote:
    > Win Me, 512ddr ram, AMD 200xp, ie6, oe 6.
    >
    > It seems my computer is not allocating its Ram correctly. After I
    > have open and subsequently closed several screens or programs, I get
    > an error message saying there is not enough memory to run this
    > program. I have Freeram running which indicates the current ram usage
    > and true enough it drops with every open programme and does not come
    > back up. Even using Freeram to free the ram does not give me much
    > extra if any. Usually when it drops to below 80 ish i lose the bottom
    > grey windows bar and have to reboot.
    > I remember i was once advised to change the wording of a text file in
    > the windows folder which somehow related to ram and i wonder if this
    > was the problem although its been fine for the last year.
    > Any fixes?
    >
    > Regards
    > Lee Davison

    Install and run Cacheman. Run the Wizard and it will set up your memory
    and cache, etc. http://www.outertech.com/
    ICee, Jan 4, 2004
  4. Lee Davison

    Senti Guest

    ICee did mumble 2l0Kb.1458$...

    > Lee Davison wrote:
    >> Win Me, 512ddr ram, AMD 200xp, ie6, oe 6.
    >>
    >> It seems my computer is not allocating its Ram correctly. After I
    >> have open and subsequently closed several screens or programs, I get
    >> an error message saying there is not enough memory to run this
    >> program. I have Freeram running which indicates the current ram usage
    >> and true enough it drops with every open programme and does not come
    >> back up. Even using Freeram to free the ram does not give me much
    >> extra if any. Usually when it drops to below 80 ish i lose the bottom
    >> grey windows bar and have to reboot.
    >> I remember i was once advised to change the wording of a text file in
    >> the windows folder which somehow related to ram and i wonder if this
    >> was the problem although its been fine for the last year.
    >> Any fixes?
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Lee Davison

    > Install and run Cacheman. Run the Wizard and it will set up your
    > memory and cache, etc. http://www.outertech.com/

    I'd also like to add that once the OP is finished setting it up through the
    wizard, to click on Options on the right side and uncheck "Load Cacheman on
    Windows startup"

    All settings are saved to the registry and running Cacheman in the
    background will just needlessly use resources.

    Oh yeah.. and try to avoid using memory-resident programs like FreeRAM. ;-)
    --
    ~SF~
    There's a difference between a philosophy and a bumper sticker.
    Senti, Jan 4, 2004
  5. Lee Davison

    ICee Guest

    Senti wrote:
    > ICee did mumble 2l0Kb.1458$...
    >
    >> Lee Davison wrote:
    >>> Win Me, 512ddr ram, AMD 200xp, ie6, oe 6.
    >>>
    >>> It seems my computer is not allocating its Ram correctly. After I
    >>> have open and subsequently closed several screens or programs, I get
    >>> an error message saying there is not enough memory to run this
    >>> program. I have Freeram running which indicates the current ram
    >>> usage and true enough it drops with every open programme and does
    >>> not come back up. Even using Freeram to free the ram does not give
    >>> me much extra if any. Usually when it drops to below 80 ish i lose
    >>> the bottom grey windows bar and have to reboot.
    >>> I remember i was once advised to change the wording of a text file
    >>> in the windows folder which somehow related to ram and i wonder if
    >>> this was the problem although its been fine for the last year.
    >>> Any fixes?
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> Lee Davison

    >> Install and run Cacheman. Run the Wizard and it will set up your
    >> memory and cache, etc. http://www.outertech.com/

    > I'd also like to add that once the OP is finished setting it up
    > through the wizard, to click on Options on the right side and uncheck
    > "Load Cacheman on Windows startup"

    Thanks for catching that, Senti. I do that myself and forgot to mention
    it to the OP.

    ICee, Jan 4, 2004
  6. Lee Davison

    ICee Guest

    ICee, Jan 4, 2004
  7. Lee Davison

    Senti Guest

    ICee did mumble Ba1Kb.1487$...

    > Senti wrote:
    >> ICee did mumble 2l0Kb.1458$...

    >>> Install and run Cacheman. Run the Wizard and it will set up your
    >>> memory and cache, etc. http://www.outertech.com/

    >> I'd also like to add that once the OP is finished setting it up
    >> through the wizard, to click on Options on the right side and uncheck
    >> "Load Cacheman on Windows startup"

    > Thanks for catching that, Senti. I do that myself and forgot to
    > mention it to the OP.

    Anytime :)
    --
    ~SF~
    If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee --
    Senti, Jan 4, 2004
  8. Lee Davison

    Budweiser Guest

    "Lee Davison" <> wrote in message
    > Win Me, 512ddr ram, AMD 200xp, ie6, oe 6.
    >
    > It seems my computer is not allocating its Ram correctly. After I have

    open
    > and subsequently closed several screens or programs, I get an error

    message
    > saying there is not enough memory to run this program. I have Freeram
    > running which indicates the current ram usage and true enough it drops

    with
    > every open programme and does not come back up. Even using Freeram to free
    > the ram does not give me much extra if any. Usually when it drops to below
    > 80 ish i lose the bottom grey windows bar and have to reboot.
    > I remember i was once advised to change the wording of a text file in the
    > windows folder which somehow related to ram and i wonder if this was the
    > problem although its been fine for the last year.
    > Any fixes?
    >
    > Regards
    > Lee Davison

    remove all your "free memory" style programs---yes windows is a memory hog
    but only when you let it.

    clean up your start up progs to the minimum including the task bar--a short
    cut on the desktop is more efficient--all you really need running at boot is
    (obviously) windows os and your av/firewall if you feel so inclined

    to further improve performance(link nicked from group somewhere)

    Basic computer maintenance

    There again you could always rummage through here:-
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/

    more utilities than you can shake a stick at (fix the fixes?)
    Budweiser, Jan 5, 2004
  9. > Win Me, 512ddr ram, AMD 200xp, ie6, oe 6.

    http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/9.1/features/
    http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/suse_linux/
    Alexander Rogge, Jan 5, 2004
  10. Lee Davison

    Lee Davison Guest

    I got the following if it is any help.
    Regards
    Lee

    FreeRAM XP Pro Comprehensive Memory Report
    Generated on: 20:26:17 05/01/2004

    System Memory Basic Information:
    Current Amount of RAM Free: 267 MB (52%)
    Amount of Installed RAM: 512 MB
    Current Free Virtual Memory: 220 MB (100%)
    Current Allocated Virtual Memory: 220 MB
    Current Free Total Memory: 487 MB (66%)
    Current Total Memory: 732 MB
    Available Page: 1381 MB
    Total Page: 1536 MB
    Available Virtual Space: 2021 MB
    Total Virtual Space: 2044 MB

    Advanced System Memory Information:
    System Committed Memory: 329 MB
    System Locked Memory: 129 MB
    Number of Locked, Non-cached Pages: 7315
    Number of Pages Mapped from Disk Cache: 1753
    Other Allocated Memory: 174 MB

    Virtual Memory (Swapfile) Details:
    Amount Allocated/Swappable Memory: 155 MB
    Virtual Memory Corrupted Bytes: 0 (0% of total)
    Virtual Memory Maximum Size: 1536 MB

    Windows Kernel Information:
    Existing Threads and Processes: 183
    Virtual Machines Present: 1

    Disk Cache Details:
    Current Disk Cache Size: 103256 KB (20% of max)
    Maximum Disk Cache Size: 515332 KB
    Minimum Disk Cache Size: 4096 KB
    Middle Disk Cache Size: 131904 KB
    Current Number of Active Disk Buffers: 18992
    Current Number of Pages: 25814 (20% of max)
    Maximum Disk Cache Pages: 128833
    Minimum Disk Cache Pages: 1024
    Lee Davison, Jan 5, 2004