Losing news message filters

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Steve IA, Jan 4, 2006.

  1. Steve IA

    Steve IA Guest

    TB 1.0.6 WinXP home. I read several newsgroups daily using TB and lately
    as I select one of the groups I /sometimes/ get this Alert Message:

    "Your filters do not work because the msgfilterrules.dat file, which
    contains your filters, could not be read. A new msgfilterrules.dat has
    be (sic) created and a backup of the old file, called rulesbackup.dat,
    will be created in the same directory."

    I click OK and my message filters for that group are gone. I can find
    the rulesbackup.dat file and open it with Notepad and the rules lost
    from that one newsgroup are there. I've tried renaming the
    rulesbackup.dat to msgfilterrules.dat to no avail.
    I've unsubscribed to this newsgroup (misc.rural) and resubscribed but
    this did not help either.

    Any ideas why this is doing it sporatically to one newsgroup (which I've
    read for years)? Is there a way to import the filters so I don't have to
    recreate them? How can I keep this from happening again.

    Thanks in advance.

    Steve
    41N
    Steve IA, Jan 4, 2006

  2. Steve IA

    gwtc Guest

    Steve IA wrote:

    > TB 1.0.6 WinXP home. I read several newsgroups daily using TB and lately
    > as I select one of the groups I /sometimes/ get this Alert Message:
    >
    > "Your filters do not work because the msgfilterrules.dat file, which
    > contains your filters, could not be read. A new msgfilterrules.dat has
    > be (sic) created and a backup of the old file, called rulesbackup.dat,
    > will be created in the same directory."
    >
    > I click OK and my message filters for that group are gone. I can find
    > the rulesbackup.dat file and open it with Notepad and the rules lost
    > from that one newsgroup are there. I've tried renaming the
    > rulesbackup.dat to msgfilterrules.dat to no avail.
    > I've unsubscribed to this newsgroup (misc.rural) and resubscribed but
    > this did not help either.
    >
    > Any ideas why this is doing it sporatically to one newsgroup (which I've
    > read for years)? Is there a way to import the filters so I don't have to
    > recreate them? How can I keep this from happening again.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Steve
    > 41N

    make sure the file isn't marked as read only
    gwtc, Jan 4, 2006

  3. Steve IA

    Steve IA Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > Steve IA wrote:
    >
    >> TB 1.0.6 WinXP home. I read several newsgroups daily using TB and
    >> lately as I select one of the groups I /sometimes/ get this Alert
    >> Message:
    >>
    >> "Your filters do not work because the msgfilterrules.dat file, which
    >> contains your filters, could not be read. A new msgfilterrules.dat
    >> has be (sic) created and a backup of the old file, called
    >> rulesbackup.dat, will be created in the same directory."
    >>
    >> I click OK and my message filters for that group are gone. I can find
    >> the rulesbackup.dat file and open it with Notepad and the rules lost
    >> from that one newsgroup are there. I've tried renaming the
    >> rulesbackup.dat to msgfilterrules.dat to no avail.
    >> I've unsubscribed to this newsgroup (misc.rural) and resubscribed but
    >> this did not help either.
    >>
    >> Any ideas why this is doing it sporatically to one newsgroup (which
    >> I've read for years)? Is there a way to import the filters so I don't
    >> have to recreate them? How can I keep this from happening again.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >> 41N

    > make sure the file isn't marked as read only

    Neither file was marked read only.
    I worded that poorly. I have successfully renamed the
    msgfilterrules.dat to msgfiltersrulesold.dat then renamed the
    rulesbackup.dat to msgfilterrules.dat. The next time I open that
    newsgroup I get the same alert message as stated above and a new
    rulesbackup.dat file has been created.
    Thanks again.
    Steve
    Steve IA, Jan 4, 2006
  4. Steve IA wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Steve IA wrote:
    >>
    >>> TB 1.0.6 WinXP home. I read several newsgroups daily using TB and
    >>> lately as I select one of the groups I /sometimes/ get this Alert
    >>> Message:
    >>>
    >>> "Your filters do not work because the msgfilterrules.dat file, which
    >>> contains your filters, could not be read. A new msgfilterrules.dat
    >>> has be (sic) created and a backup of the old file, called
    >>> rulesbackup.dat, will be created in the same directory."
    >>>
    >>> I click OK and my message filters for that group are gone. I can find
    >>> the rulesbackup.dat file and open it with Notepad and the rules lost
    >>> from that one newsgroup are there. I've tried renaming the
    >>> rulesbackup.dat to msgfilterrules.dat to no avail.
    >>> I've unsubscribed to this newsgroup (misc.rural) and resubscribed but
    >>> this did not help either.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas why this is doing it sporatically to one newsgroup (which
    >>> I've read for years)? Is there a way to import the filters so I don't
    >>> have to recreate them? How can I keep this from happening again.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>> Steve
    >>> 41N

    >> make sure the file isn't marked as read only

    > Neither file was marked read only.
    > I worded that poorly. I have successfully renamed the
    > msgfilterrules.dat to msgfiltersrulesold.dat then renamed the
    > rulesbackup.dat to msgfilterrules.dat. The next time I open that
    > newsgroup I get the same alert message as stated above and a new
    > rulesbackup.dat file has been created.
    > Thanks again.
    > Steve

    Well, if TB is telling you that the file is can't be read, just naming
    it back isn't going to clear the problem.

    Have you tried copying the contents of the old file into the newly
    created one?

    And make sure TB is closed when you do this.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 4, 2006
  5. Steve IA

    Steve IA Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Steve IA wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> make sure the file isn't marked as read only

    >> Neither file was marked read only.
    >> I worded that poorly. I have successfully renamed the
    >> msgfilterrules.dat to msgfiltersrulesold.dat then renamed the
    >> rulesbackup.dat to msgfilterrules.dat. The next time I open that
    >> newsgroup I get the same alert message as stated above and a new
    >> rulesbackup.dat file has been created.
    >> Thanks again.
    >> Steve

    > Well, if TB is telling you that the file is can't be read, just naming
    > it back isn't going to clear the problem.
    >
    > Have you tried copying the contents of the old file into the newly
    > created one?
    >
    > And make sure TB is closed when you do this.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks, Lee, I just tried your suggestion. With TB closed,I copied stuff
    from rulesbackup.dat to a new notepad file naming it msgfilterrules.dat.
    I rebooted the pc. I looked at the msgfilterrules.dat file and the stuff
    I copied to it is gone and replaced with:
    version="8"
    logging="no"
    When I open the NG, I find all message filters are gone.

    Thanks again.
    Steve
    Steve IA, Jan 5, 2006
  6. Steve IA wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Steve IA wrote:

    >>> Neither file was marked read only.
    >>> I worded that poorly. I have successfully renamed the
    >>> msgfilterrules.dat to msgfiltersrulesold.dat then renamed the
    >>> rulesbackup.dat to msgfilterrules.dat. The next time I open that
    >>> newsgroup I get the same alert message as stated above and a new
    >>> rulesbackup.dat file has been created.
    >>> Thanks again.
    >>> Steve

    >> Well, if TB is telling you that the file is can't be read, just naming
    >> it back isn't going to clear the problem.
    >>
    >> Have you tried copying the contents of the old file into the newly
    >> created one?
    >>
    >> And make sure TB is closed when you do this.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Thanks, Lee, I just tried your suggestion. With TB closed,I copied stuff
    > from rulesbackup.dat to a new notepad file naming it msgfilterrules.dat.
    > I rebooted the pc. I looked at the msgfilterrules.dat file and the stuff
    > I copied to it is gone and replaced with:
    > version="8"
    > logging="no"
    > When I open the NG, I find all message filters are gone.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    > Steve

    This is bizarre. Have you tried recreating your filters within TB?
    Maybe just create a couple and see if they stick.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 5, 2006
  7. Steve IA

    Steve IA Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Steve IA wrote:

    >>> Well, if TB is telling you that the file is can't be read, just
    >>> naming it back isn't going to clear the problem.
    >>>
    >>> Have you tried copying the contents of the old file into the newly
    >>> created one?
    >>>
    >>> And make sure TB is closed when you do this.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> Thanks, Lee, I just tried your suggestion. With TB closed,I copied
    >> stuff from rulesbackup.dat to a new notepad file naming it
    >> msgfilterrules.dat. I rebooted the pc. I looked at the
    >> msgfilterrules.dat file and the stuff I copied to it is gone and
    >> replaced with:
    >> version="8"
    >> logging="no"
    >> When I open the NG, I find all message filters are gone.
    >>
    >> Thanks again.
    >> Steve

    > This is bizarre. Have you tried recreating your filters within TB?
    > Maybe just create a couple and see if they stick.
    >
    > Lee

    Lee,
    I'll do that and let you know. Thanks again.

    Steve
    Steve IA, Jan 5, 2006
  8. Steve IA

    Steve IA Guest

    Steve IA wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Steve IA wrote:

    >>> Thanks, Lee, I just tried your suggestion. With TB closed,I copied
    >>> stuff from rulesbackup.dat to a new notepad file naming it
    >>> msgfilterrules.dat. I rebooted the pc. I looked at the
    >>> msgfilterrules.dat file and the stuff I copied to it is gone and
    >>> replaced with:
    >>> version="8"
    >>> logging="no"
    >>> When I open the NG, I find all message filters are gone.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again.
    >>> Steve

    >> This is bizarre. Have you tried recreating your filters within TB?
    >> Maybe just create a couple and see if they stick.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Lee,
    > I'll do that and let you know. Thanks again.
    >
    > Steve

    I opened the newsgroup and created a couple of filters. Closed TB and
    checked files. The filters did not appear in msgfilterrules.dat, but did
    appear in file 'specified NG'.dat. I checked other 'ng'.dat files and
    they have the msg rules for that ng. Just for grins I will delete the
    specified NG.dat and the msgfilterrules.dat files and start over and see
    what happens.

    Steve
    Steve IA, Jan 5, 2006
  9. Steve IA

    Steve IA Guest

    Re: Losing news message filters- followup

    Steve IA wrote:
    > Steve IA wrote:

    >>> This is bizarre. Have you tried recreating your filters within TB?
    >>> Maybe just create a couple and see if they stick.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> Lee,
    >> I'll do that and let you know. Thanks again.
    >>
    >> Steve

    > I opened the newsgroup and created a couple of filters. Closed TB and
    > checked files. The filters did not appear in msgfilterrules.dat, but did
    > appear in file 'specified NG'.dat. I checked other 'ng'.dat files and
    > they have the msg rules for that ng. Just for grins I will delete the
    > specified NG.dat and the msgfilterrules.dat files and start over and see
    > what happens.
    >
    > Steve

    After deleting the specified ng.dat and the msgfilerrules.dat files and
    restarting TB, it recreated these files new and I've had no further
    problems.
    X (fingers crossed)
    Steve
    41N