Losing network connection?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kenny, Feb 23, 2008.

  1. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    I have a 3Com wireless modem router model 3CRWDR100A-72 (most recent
    firmware) hard wired to Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 (nForce3 250Gb chipset) with
    onboard Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller.
    Using most recent chipset drivers and re-installed the Ethernet Controller
    drivers a number of times. Also turned off Power Saving on same.
    At least once a night I will lose connection from PC to router, usually
    after PC has been idle for a while. "Repair" on the connection doesn't
    work, it get's hung up on "acquiring network address". I cannot access the
    router set up page at this time either.
    Have also tried deleting Ethernet Controller from Device Manager and letting
    Windows re-install it.
    Laptop connected wirelessly to same router continues working OK.
    Re-setting the router doesn't work, the only thing which does is restarting
    the PC then it will likely be OK until the next night.
    The problem appears to be in the PC but is it hardware, ie: the LAN
    controller/motherboard or is it Windows? Using XP Pro/SP2.
    Have also considered it could be the firewall, I'm using the free version of
    Comodo with the router firewall set at medium and XP firewall turned off.
    Should I try re-installing Comodo or even try Zone Alarm instead?
    Seems odd to me that it only seems to happen at night though not at a
    particular time.
    Any suggestions appreciated.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Feb 23, 2008

  2. Kenny wrote:

    > I have a 3Com wireless modem router model 3CRWDR100A-72 (most recent
    > firmware) hard wired to Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 (nForce3 250Gb chipset) with
    > onboard Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller.
    > Using most recent chipset drivers and re-installed the Ethernet Controller
    > drivers a number of times. Also turned off Power Saving on same.
    > At least once a night I will lose connection from PC to router, usually
    > after PC has been idle for a while. "Repair" on the connection doesn't
    > work, it get's hung up on "acquiring network address". I cannot access
    > the router set up page at this time either.
    > Have also tried deleting Ethernet Controller from Device Manager and
    > letting Windows re-install it.

    To test the waters, can you set the dhcp leasetime on your routers config
    page to something significantly larger than one day?

    wisdomkiller & pain, Feb 23, 2008

  3. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Thanks for the reply.
    DHCP lease timeset by default to 1/2 a day, changed it to 2 days so I'll see
    what happens tonight.
    I've only a vague idea about DHCP etc. but will read up a bit on it.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Kenny, Feb 23, 2008
  4. Kenny

    Mike Easter Guest

    Kenny wrote:

    > I've only a vague idea about DHCP etc. but will read up a bit on it.

    While you are reading about /that/, read up on replying to newsgroup
    messages by quoting.

    http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml Q1: What is "quoting" in
    newsgroup postings? - Q2: How should I use the quoted text and arrange
    it with my own text?

    http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html How do I quote
    correctly in Usenet? -- 2.1 How much should I quote? - 2.2 What should
    not be quoted? - 2.3 Why should I place my response below the quoted
    text?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 23, 2008
  5. Kenny

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Use Winsock Repair. Download it here
    http://pcbutts1.com/downloads/tools/tools.htm

    pcbutts1, Feb 23, 2008
  6. Kenny

    Leythos Guest

    In article <fpp67t$nts$>, pcbutts1
    @leythosthestalker.com says...
    > Use Winsock Repair. Download it here
    > http://pcbutts1.com/[removed unethical link]

    Never download files from a site filled with pornographic filth that
    allows kids to access it without warning.

    Never trust an author that states he's personally created that type of
    filth and wants to help you.

    You can get the Winsock Fix tool from:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm

    --

    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)

    Fight exposing kids to porn, complain about sites like PCBUTTS 1.COM
    that create filth and put it on the web for any kid to see: Just take a
    look at some of the FILTH he's created and put on his website:
    http://forums.speedguide.net/archive/index.php/t-223485.html all exposed
    'exposed to kids'.

    Leythos, Feb 23, 2008