    then at night, zap! It's reboot time. Windows XP is new to me. Are
    there tweaks in there that I should be making? Thanks.
    , Feb 17, 2004

  2. TehGhodTrole Guest

    wrote:
    > I use a cable modem, it's hooked directly into an RJ45 jack in my
    > motherboard. After being on and offline all day with no problems, it
    > seems to drop off at night and I have to reboot the whole system to
    > get it back. I have all three lights green on my modem that indicate a
    > connection. But I can't connect and have to reboot. I'm using Windows
    > XP Pro. The only thing that I'm suspicious of is Forte Agent 2.0,
    > since it's usually after using that software that the problem occurs.
    > But again, it's only at night. I use Agent on and off all day, then
    > can go to other programs that connect to the net with no problems,
    > then at night, zap! It's reboot time. Windows XP is new to me. Are
    > there tweaks in there that I should be making? Thanks.

    Given the problems with your HDD and your lack of understanding about what
    has been told to you, maybe you should consider trading your computer in on
    a Game Boy.

    --
    TehGhodTrole: Trolling, for God's sake.
    Your Free Insult: Jesus loves you.
    TehGhodTrole, Feb 17, 2004

  3. Unk Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:16:01 -0500, wrote:
    >I use a cable modem, it's hooked directly into an RJ45 jack in my
    >motherboard. After being on and offline all day with no problems, it
    >seems to drop off at night and I have to reboot the whole system to
    >get it back. I have all three lights green on my modem that indicate a
    >connection. But I can't connect and have to reboot. I'm using Windows
    >XP Pro. The only thing that I'm suspicious of is Forte Agent 2.0,
    >since it's usually after using that software that the problem occurs.
    >But again, it's only at night. I use Agent on and off all day, then
    >can go to other programs that connect to the net with no problems,
    >then at night, zap! It's reboot time. Windows XP is new to me. Are
    >there tweaks in there that I should be making? Thanks.

    Check to see if the MTU and RWIN are optimized for the cable modem.
    MTU-1500 RWIN-32767
    Tweak test: http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

    Make any recomended changes with their "DrTCP", reboot and test again.
    http://www.dslreports.com/front/DRTCP021.zip

    Also see: Navas Cable Modem-DSL Tuning Guide
    http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/

    Here's a good speed test site:
    http://speedcheck2.optonline.net/speedcheck/speedcheck.html
    Unk, Feb 17, 2004
  4. Guest

    Another ignorant asshole heard from.

    >Given the problems with your HDD and your lack of understanding about what
    >has been told to you, maybe you should consider trading your computer in on
    >a Game Boy.
    , Feb 17, 2004
  5. TehGhodTrole Guest

    wrote:
    > Another ignorant asshole heard from.

    I agree with your post. Of course, next time you post, you might first like
    to take a course in basic English.

    TehGhodTrole, Feb 17, 2004
  6. Soup Guest

    wrote:
    > I use a cable modem, it's hooked directly into an RJ45 jack in my
    > motherboard. After being on and offline all day with no problems, it
    > seems to drop off at night and I have to reboot the whole system to
    > get it back. I have all three lights green on my modem that indicate a
    > connection. But I can't connect and have to reboot. I'm using Windows
    > XP Pro. The only thing that I'm suspicious of is Forte Agent 2.0,
    > since it's usually after using that software that the problem occurs.
    > But again, it's only at night. I use Agent on and off all day, then
    > can go to other programs that connect to the net with no problems,
    > then at night, zap! It's reboot time. Windows XP is new to me. Are
    > there tweaks in there that I should be making? Thanks.

    Was using a cable modem hooked up to a NIC, changed to a USB
    connection that didn't help. I was reduced to formatting the hard drive
    and re-installing Win XP, that cured it . In fact whenever my
    hardware provider installed Win XP (new hard drive ,under
    warranty) was getting uncommanded disconections and had to
    install Win XP myself. again. So obviously something my supplier
    was doing wasn't 'liked' by my cable modem.

    --
    Yours S. addy not usable (not that you would try it) ( )
    Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant! / \
    Soup, Feb 17, 2004
  7. Smirnoff Guest

    Unk wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:16:01 -0500, wrote:
    >> I use a cable modem, it's hooked directly into an RJ45 jack in my
    >> motherboard. After being on and offline all day with no problems, it
    >> seems to drop off at night and I have to reboot the whole system to
    >> get it back. I have all three lights green on my modem that indicate
    >> a connection. But I can't connect and have to reboot. I'm using
    >> Windows XP Pro. The only thing that I'm suspicious of is Forte Agent
    >> 2.0, since it's usually after using that software that the problem
    >> occurs. But again, it's only at night. I use Agent on and off all
    >> day, then can go to other programs that connect to the net with no
    >> problems, then at night, zap! It's reboot time. Windows XP is new to
    >> me. Are there tweaks in there that I should be making? Thanks.

    > Check to see if the MTU and RWIN are optimized for the cable modem.
    > MTU-1500 RWIN-32767
    > Tweak test: http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
    >
    > Make any recomended changes with their "DrTCP", reboot and test again.
    > http://www.dslreports.com/front/DRTCP021.zip
    >
    > Also see: Navas Cable Modem-DSL Tuning Guide
    > http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/
    >

    > Here's a good speed test site:
    > http://speedcheck2.optonline.net/speedcheck/speedcheck.html

    Hi. Unk,
    I did the tests you recommended. I have WinME + ADSL (Broadband
    advertised at 500kbps).

    My RWIN setting was 32768 but I was advised to reduce it in the range
    5840 - 13140.
    I take it that my original setting was the default for my old 56k
    internal modem.
    I duly changed it to the higher of the range (13140) and have no
    problems so far.
    Have also done a speed test which returns 475kbps.
    What puzzles me is, if ADSL is so much faster, why should I have to
    reduce the amount of packets received before acknowledgement?
    Hope I've explained it ok.
    TIA
    Smirnoff, Feb 17, 2004