    thanks
    Dennis
    , Nov 18, 2005

  2. Mark VB Guest

    wrote on 18/11/2005 17:47
    > I'm having an internet connection problem. It appears to be a url/ip
    > address translation issue. What happens is when trying to bring up IE
    > I get that annoying error "page not found". If I bring up a command
    > window and try to ping something like 'www.yahoo.com' I get a 'host
    > error' or something like 'host does not exist'. But if I ping a known
    > ip address (like the actual ip address for www.yahoo.com), it comes
    > back just fine.

    Did you already check that this PC uses the same dns-server as your
    other PC's ?

    HTH,
    Mark Van Borm
    Mark VB, Nov 18, 2005

  3. Duane Arnold Guest

    wrote in news:1132332422.223149.19000
    @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > I'm having an internet connection problem. It appears to be a url/ip
    > address translation issue. What happens is when trying to bring up IE
    > I get that annoying error "page not found". If I bring up a command
    > window and try to ping something like 'www.yahoo.com' I get a 'host
    > error' or something like 'host does not exist'. But if I ping a known
    > ip address (like the actual ip address for www.yahoo.com), it comes
    > back just fine.
    >
    > I'm thinking this might be caused by some kind of hijackware or other
    > malware. If I restore my system to an earlier date it will work for
    > awhile then fail again.
    >
    > The system is xp on a lan going to a dsl connection. The other systems
    > work just fine, only this system is affected. I would appreciate any
    > ideas... oh yeah, I did run spybot, adaware, and hijackthis with no
    > help.

    Your ISP has a DNS server on their network so that when you eneter
    www.yahoo.com, it looks up that www.yahoo.com and converts it to an IP.
    For some reason, that is not happening for you on that machine.

    You can do an IPconfig /all at the Command Prompt and see if the
    machine's NIC is showing valid IP(s) for the ISP's DNS servers.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Nov 19, 2005
  4. dennis Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > wrote in news:1132332422.223149.19000
    > @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> I'm having an internet connection problem. It appears to be a url/ip
    >> address translation issue. What happens is when trying to bring up IE
    >> I get that annoying error "page not found". If I bring up a command
    >> window and try to ping something like 'www.yahoo.com' I get a 'host
    >> error' or something like 'host does not exist'. But if I ping a known
    >> ip address (like the actual ip address for www.yahoo.com), it comes
    >> back just fine.
    >>
    >> I'm thinking this might be caused by some kind of hijackware or other
    >> malware. If I restore my system to an earlier date it will work for
    >> awhile then fail again.
    >>
    >> The system is xp on a lan going to a dsl connection. The other systems
    >> work just fine, only this system is affected. I would appreciate any
    >> ideas... oh yeah, I did run spybot, adaware, and hijackthis with no
    >> help.
    >>

    > Your ISP has a DNS server on their network so that when you eneter
    > www.yahoo.com, it looks up that www.yahoo.com and converts it to an IP.
    > For some reason, that is not happening for you on that machine.
    >
    > You can do an IPconfig /all at the Command Prompt and see if the
    > machine's NIC is showing valid IP(s) for the ISP's DNS servers.
    >
    > Duane :)

    I'll give that a shot.... thanks

    /dm
    dennis, Nov 19, 2005
  5. dennis Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > wrote in news:1132332422.223149.19000
    > @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> I'm having an internet connection problem. It appears to be a url/ip
    >> address translation issue. What happens is when trying to bring up IE
    >> I get that annoying error "page not found". If I bring up a command
    >> window and try to ping something like 'www.yahoo.com' I get a 'host
    >> error' or something like 'host does not exist'. But if I ping a known
    >> ip address (like the actual ip address for www.yahoo.com), it comes
    >> back just fine.
    >>
    >> I'm thinking this might be caused by some kind of hijackware or other
    >> malware. If I restore my system to an earlier date it will work for
    >> awhile then fail again.
    >>
    >> The system is xp on a lan going to a dsl connection. The other systems
    >> work just fine, only this system is affected. I would appreciate any
    >> ideas... oh yeah, I did run spybot, adaware, and hijackthis with no
    >> help.
    >>

    > Your ISP has a DNS server on their network so that when you eneter
    > www.yahoo.com, it looks up that www.yahoo.com and converts it to an IP.
    > For some reason, that is not happening for you on that machine.
    >
    > You can do an IPconfig /all at the Command Prompt and see if the
    > machine's NIC is showing valid IP(s) for the ISP's DNS servers.
    >
    > Duane :)

    i'll give that a shot... thanks

    /dm
    dennis, Nov 19, 2005
  6. Fakename Guest

    Malware was my first thought too. I've seen lots of malware that does
    crap like this.

    Fakename, Nov 20, 2005