Losing Bookmarks at Random

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Puma, May 1, 2008.

  1. Puma

    Puma Guest

    Just a quick question. Recently, I have found that FF is missing a bookmark
    folder from time to time.

    I went to open a main bookmark folder, I have related sub-folders under the
    main title (Like "Health" is a main folder and local medical offices, info
    on prescription drugs, other relevant subjects, etc. are underneath).

    The whole bookmark and sub-folders was missing. I can't think of anything I
    did or could have done that would have knocked it out or even moved it to
    another bookmark main folder (which it did once).

    I restored my bookmarks from a backup and all is well. But today it did it
    again.

    Any ideas what could cause this behavior? I'm gonna check for infestations
    (I do a virus scan every day) or something but I was looking for
    suggestions as to what might be a cause (besides my hitting a wrong key or
    an infection).

    Thanks for any info or ideas,

    Robert
    Puma, May 1, 2008

  2. Puma wrote:
    > Just a quick question. Recently, I have found that FF is missing a bookmark
    > folder from time to time.
    >
    > I went to open a main bookmark folder, I have related sub-folders under the
    > main title (Like "Health" is a main folder and local medical offices, info
    > on prescription drugs, other relevant subjects, etc. are underneath).
    >
    > The whole bookmark and sub-folders was missing. I can't think of anything I
    > did or could have done that would have knocked it out or even moved it to
    > another bookmark main folder (which it did once).
    >
    > I restored my bookmarks from a backup and all is well. But today it did it
    > again.
    >
    > Any ideas what could cause this behavior? I'm gonna check for infestations
    > (I do a virus scan every day) or something but I was looking for
    > suggestions as to what might be a cause (besides my hitting a wrong key or
    > an infection).
    >
    > Thanks for any info or ideas,
    >
    > Robert

    make sure that the bookmarks.html file isn't marked as "read
    only"

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, May 1, 2008

  3. Puma

    Puma Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote in

    > Puma wrote:
    >> Just a quick question. Recently, I have found that FF is missing a
    >> bookmark folder from time to time.
    >>
    >> I went to open a main bookmark folder, I have related sub-folders
    >> under the main title (Like "Health" is a main folder and local
    >> medical offices, info on prescription drugs, other relevant subjects,
    >> etc. are underneath).
    >>
    >> The whole bookmark and sub-folders was missing. I can't think of
    >> anything I did or could have done that would have knocked it out or
    >> even moved it to another bookmark main folder (which it did once).
    >>
    >> I restored my bookmarks from a backup and all is well. But today it
    >> did it again.
    >>
    >> Any ideas what could cause this behavior? I'm gonna check for
    >> infestations (I do a virus scan every day) or something but I was
    >> looking for suggestions as to what might be a cause (besides my
    >> hitting a wrong key or an infection).
    >>
    >> Thanks for any info or ideas,
    >>
    >> Robert

    > make sure that the bookmarks.html file isn't marked as "read
    > only"

    OK, I checked and the "bookmark.html" file and the "bookmarks" folder
    were both marked "read only."

    I changed all I could find by unchecking the box by "read only" and we'll
    see if that improves the annoyance of bookmark files disappearing.

    Thanks for the tip, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

    Robert
    Puma, May 2, 2008