Lose Internet access after sleep with WRT54G

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Alan Biddle, Nov 20, 2007.

  1. Alan Biddle

    Alan Biddle Guest

    I have a Linksys WRT54G V8.0 router. Everything works fine, except
    when I allow my desktop computer (Ethernet to port 1) to sleep and
    then wake, I lose the ability to connect to the Internet unless I
    either reboot the computer, or recycle the power to the router. I
    have a Vista laptop connected wirelessly, and it works fine. When I
    use the Easy Advisor, it gives me a message about having detected a
    new router, and then that it does not detect any Internet access. No
    problem if I just go directly from the DSL modem to the computer.

    System:

    DSL access using a Comtrend CT-5071 modem. ISP uses DCHP

    Desktop is an HP Pavilion d4650y, XP Pro SP2.

    Things I have tried or checked:

    IPCONFIG /RELEASE and then /RENEW does not work. It just times out.
    Switched the computer from DCHP to static addressing works, but does
    not fix the problem.
    Ethernet card is selected to NOT power down.
    I did find a Vista patch which seems to address this problem, but not
    for XP.

    I am new at home networking, and would appreciate any input.

    --
    Alan
    Alan Biddle, Nov 20, 2007

  2. Hi
    Check the Power saving and Standby setting, and make sure that none of the
    Network Components goes to "sleep".
    I do not have of hand a screen of Vista, this is the way it look in Win XP,
    http://www.ezlan.net/example/powersave.jpg (it look similar in Vista too).
    In Vista get the to the Network and Sharing Center, click on the Manage
    network connections, right click on the connection, chose properties and
    choose configure.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 20, 2007

  3. Alan Biddle

    Alan Biddle Guest

    Jack,

    The Intel adapter has some slight differences, but I found the
    equivalent, and disabled it. Will give it a try, and report back
    tomorrow. Since this is an XP machine, the illustrations were good.
    Nice web site, and I am going to look through it!

    --
    Alan
    Alan Biddle, Nov 20, 2007
  4. Alan Biddle

    Alan Biddle Guest

    Jack,

    That seems to have done it! The computer and network woke up normally
    this morning.

    Having found one place under the Device Manager, Network Adapters,
    Power Management, it did not occur to me to look for a similar entry
    elsewhere. Thanks for sharing the knowledge, and your interesting web
    site resource.

    --
    Alan
    Alan Biddle, Nov 21, 2007