Lose encrypted connection after re-boot

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Joe K, Dec 27, 2004.

  1. Joe K

    Joe K Guest

    Have been running desktop with Me and a laptop with XP using Microsoft
    wireless adaptors. Have no problem without encryption.

    Ideally would/should use encryption... So, I set up both machines with
    same
    key and worked fine.

    After re-booting the laptop, I could not connect to the "secure"
    network. I re-entered the key on the laptop, and was then able to
    connect
    again.

    Why doesn't the key "stick"?

    I noted that the XP and Me wireless configuration windows are
    different.
    Also, although I input a 10-character hexidecimal key, when I go back
    to look at the key input boxes, there are only 8 mask characters.
    (Puzzled!?!?)

    Although I consider myself a VERY advanced user, I am stumped!!!
    Getting ready to call Best Buy Geek Squad!!!

    Any ideas???

    Joe K

    Joe K, Dec 27, 2004