    300GB is not really an option, btw, as i don't have enough money for another
    set of disks atm.
    Thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?Y29tcHV0ZXJ1bHo=?=, Jun 28, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Y29tcHV0ZXJ1bHo=?=

    Ian Guest

    Yes - just boot from the x64 CD give it the drivers for your
    RAID - Install on the partition that the trial edition is on and
    you will get the option to format "only" that partition.

    I have done single partition format on multi-partitioned drives
    using the XP, Server2003 & x64 editions 500 times and have
    never lost any data on any partitions - ever.
    And there is no way that x64 tries to "erase an entire array"
    unless you forgot to give it the drivers (F6) and only then because
    it could not see the array and it's partitions.
    You were not paying attention during the install. - F3 to quit anytime.

    "computerulz" <> wrote in message
    > I have a RAID 0 array which i currently have partitioned and managed to
    > install the Windows x64 beta on a while ago, but I'm just wondering if

    when I
    > try to install the full Windows x64 will it try and erase the entire array
    > again? As when i installed the trial, it deleted all the partitions on

    there
    > and all my data was unrecoverable. Or is it possible to get it to reformat
    > JUST that one partition that the trial is on and install on that?? Backing

    up

    Ian, Jun 28, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Y29tcHV0ZXJ1bHo=?=

    Ian, Jun 28, 2005
  4. We're trying to find out exactly how the full install will work right now.
    You don't necessarily have to back up 300GB, by the way. But you should
    backup your important data files before ANY operating system installation or
    upgrade. Absolutely, positively. Anything can happen, and having a backup of
    the important stuff gives you the confidence to proceed.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 28, 2005
  5. Thanks for the info, thats what i expected, but just wanted to checkcause
    what actually hapenned last time, is that i did have the driver for my RAID
    controller, it found the drive, it saw that I had a partition on it
    (formatted in NTFS by the XP Pro 32 bit edition i have installed, but it was
    blank, thought the actuall array had 3 partitions on it), but ONLY saw that
    one partition. So i tried to install to that partition , already formatted.
    It gave me an error saying the drive was not formatted in the correct type or
    something very similar, so I thought, OK, i'll delete the partition and
    reformat that 20GB that has already been set aside for it. So i delete a 20
    GB partition, and when I am returned to the options for formatting the drive,
    it offers me 400 GB!!! I was NOT happy, escaped out of the install and
    restarted 32 bit windows, where i found the drives totally gone, and when i
    tried a recovery program, it could not recover any of the data types that
    were on there. So that is how x64 "lost" my data last time, n i just didn't
    want a reccurence of that situation.

    =?Utf-8?B?Y29tcHV0ZXJ1bHo=?=, Jun 28, 2005
  6. Boot Your PC and Press F6 than install Raid Drivers then new Installation
    then F8 and run a REPAIR Installation.
    That way will works without lost of Data and all Programms will runs after
    Installation with all Drivers you installs before.

    This way is tested and works absolutely fine.

    Greetings
    Peter

    Peter Schade [IT-SE, CCNA], Jul 1, 2005