Lord of the what ? Never heard of it.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Peter, Dec 20, 2003.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    When you were getting hyped about Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the
    rings, were you as shocked as I, about how many people didn't know what
    it was ?

    I have to admit, I didn't read the books until about 2 years before the
    movie, but it was one of those series that was always on my "have to
    read sometime" list. I had known about them since I was in grade 5 or 6
    (back in 1985).

    However I was reading Return of the king on the bus, coming home from
    school once, and this guy next to me struck up a conversation. He had
    never heard of Lord of the Rings, and it wasn't like he was from another
    country, that, maybe, never heard of it. He asked things like what was
    the writting style like, was it in anyway like Anne Rice (ick). What it
    was about etc.
    When i told him it was written in the 50's and pretty much gave birth to
    the entire modern fantasy Genre, he was a little surprised.

    My wife had heard of the Hobbit, but didn't really know about Lord of
    the Rings. My parents, and her Dad had never heard of it at all...

    A guy in my class at school thought it was "Lord of the Kings" and
    didn't really understand why the rest of us were freaking out over the
    fellowship's teaser trailer.

    Maybe I took it for granted, I thought it was something everyone at
    least knew of, if they had read it. Like A tale of Two Cities, or
    Oliver, or The TIme Machine, or 20,000 Leagues under the sea.

    Any similar experiences ?

    --
    Please help stop Forced Trailers on DVD's
    Please sign the Petition at

    Peter, Dec 20, 2003

  2. Peter wrote:
    > Maybe I took it for granted, I thought it was something everyone at
    > least knew of, if they had read it. Like A tale of Two Cities, or
    > Oliver, or The TIme Machine, or 20,000 Leagues under the sea.
    >
    > Any similar experiences ?

    Believe it or not, Sean Astin said he'd never heard of the novel until
    he was offered the part. He read it, accepted it, and hired a dialog coach.

    I was aware of people who had never read it, but I am still shocked that
    somebody could be unaware of its existence.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 20, 2003

  3. Peter

    --o-- Guest

    really understand why the rest of us were freaking out over the
    > fellowship's teaser trailer.
    >
    > Maybe I took it for granted, I thought it was something everyone at
    > least knew of, if they had read it. Like A tale of Two Cities, or
    > Oliver, or The TIme Machine, or 20,000 Leagues under the sea.
    >
    > Any similar experiences ?

    I'd never heard of LOTR until the Bakshi cartoon version

    --o--, Dec 21, 2003
  4. Peter

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Dec 21, 2003
  5. Peter

    Justin Guest

    Stan Brown wrote on [Sun, 21 Dec 2003 00:03:15 -0500]:
    > In article <8B4Fb.27231$> in
    > alt.video.dvd, Grand Inquisitor wrote:
    >>I was aware of people who had never read it,

    > Peter Jackson seems only to have skimmed it.
    >
    > (ducks and runs for the exit)

    Noooo. He read it, but it had whole sections that were translated funny
    into the Kiwi

    Justin, Dec 21, 2003
  6. Peter

    Giovanni Guest

    "--o--" <> schreef in bericht
    > really understand why the rest of us were freaking out over the
    > > fellowship's teaser trailer.
    > >
    > > Maybe I took it for granted, I thought it was something everyone at
    > > least knew of, if they had read it. Like A tale of Two Cities, or
    > > Oliver, or The TIme Machine, or 20,000 Leagues under the sea.
    > >
    > > Any similar experiences ?

    > I'd never heard of LOTR until the Bakshi cartoon version

    I read it a couple of times by then but was very disappointed that the
    movie stopped somewhere in the middle. I waited for a second movie but
    it never materialized (this was way before internet). I quite liked the
    Bakshi, not that it can compete with Jackson's of course. Bought the
    Bakshi DVD last year, still have to watch it, I'll dig it up now.

    Giovanni, Dec 21, 2003
  7. Peter

    --o-- Guest

    > > really understand why the rest of us were freaking out over the
    > > > fellowship's teaser trailer.
    > > >
    > > > Maybe I took it for granted, I thought it was something everyone at
    > > > least knew of, if they had read it. Like A tale of Two Cities, or
    > > > Oliver, or The TIme Machine, or 20,000 Leagues under the sea.
    > > >
    > > > Any similar experiences ?

    > > I'd never heard of LOTR until the Bakshi cartoon version

    > I read it a couple of times by then but was very disappointed that the
    > movie stopped somewhere in the middle. I waited for a second movie but
    > it never materialized (this was way before internet). I quite liked the
    > Bakshi, not that it can compete with Jackson's of course. Bought the
    > Bakshi DVD last year, still have to watch it, I'll dig it up now.

    i had always thought that there was no sequel (s) either - until
    someone pointed out that 'Return of the King' was it !

    Never released here in Australia of course :
    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0079802/

    --o--, Dec 21, 2003
  8. Peter

    Nonymous Guest

    I've have never read any of the books.

    I remember in highschool a group of others that were all in to it, some of
    them carrying around and trading beat up paperbacks of whatever book they
    were currently reading (or re-reading).

    I remember in freshman college meeting a guy who was totally, TOTALLY into
    the whole Middle Earth thing. He used to take class notes in Elvish! You'd
    flip through his spiral notebooks and they were just page after page of
    weird words and runes and whatnot! Totally bizarre. He was actually pretty
    'normal', too... didn't have the 'nerdiness' that many associate with the
    fans.

    I had seen "The Hobbit" cartoon a couple times in the past. I also played
    D&D some in highschool. So going into the movies, I knew some basics as what
    the heck a Hobbit and Orc was, who Bilbo, Gandalf, & Gollum were, "my
    precious", etc. So seeing the LOTR:Felloship movie's whole first act with
    Bilbo and Gandalf was familiar to me. I also already knew such concepts as
    Mt. Doom, Mordor, etc. I also already knew about Elves being immortal and
    not short like Santa's Elves, etc. (I had to explain the immortality thing
    to my parents because they didn't quite grasp that from the movie and when I
    told them they were like "Ohhhh,... *now* we understand the whole
    Arwen/Aragorn thing.").

    Something I remember *learning* in the movies was what the "Balrog" was... I
    remember the Balrog being mentioned in a Led Zeppelin song but didn't know
    what it really alluded to until the first movie.

    Nonymous, Dec 21, 2003
  9. Stan Brown wrote:

    > In article <8B4Fb.27231$> in
    > alt.video.dvd, Grand Inquisitor wrote:
    >
    >>I was aware of people who had never read it,

    > Peter Jackson seems only to have skimmed it.
    >
    > (ducks and runs for the exit)

    Actually Peter Jackson is an expert on all of Tolkien's books, and
    probably knows more about them than you or anybody else here does.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 21, 2003
  10. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Stan Brown wrote:
    > In article <8B4Fb.27231$> in
    > alt.video.dvd, Grand Inquisitor wrote:
    >
    >>I was aware of people who had never read it,

    > Peter Jackson seems only to have skimmed it.
    >
    > (ducks and runs for the exit)

    I don't think "Rings" fans would be happy unless scene for scene, and
    word for word were brought
    from the book to the movie, making each movie 8 hrs long.

    Some editing HAS to happen. Accept it, enjoy it for what it is. It's not
    an exact translation of book to screen.

    Peter, Dec 21, 2003
  11. Peter

    Doonie Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 15:23:50 -0500, Peter wrote:

    >When you were getting hyped about Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the
    >rings, were you as shocked as I, about how many people didn't know what
    >it was ?

    Two DJs (a man and woman) on the radio were talking about the first
    movie a few weeks after it came out and the guy said, "The movie was
    pretty good, but, the way it ended - You just KNOW there's going to be
    a sequel!" I almost called the station to ask the guy what tree he
    had been living in. :)

    --
    www.cloakanddagger.ca

    Doonie, Dec 21, 2003
  12. Peter

    Justin Guest

    Peter wrote on [Sun, 21 Dec 2003 12:25:48 -0500]:

    > Stan Brown wrote:
    >> In article <8B4Fb.27231$> in
    >> alt.video.dvd, Grand Inquisitor wrote:
    >>
    >>>I was aware of people who had never read it,

    >> Peter Jackson seems only to have skimmed it.
    >>
    >> (ducks and runs for the exit)

    > I don't think "Rings" fans would be happy unless scene for scene, and
    > word for word were brought
    > from the book to the movie, making each movie 8 hrs long.
    >
    > Some editing HAS to happen. Accept it, enjoy it for what it is. It's not
    > an exact translation of book to screen.

    Yes, some editing HAS to happen, but completely changing characters?

    Justin, Dec 21, 2003
  13. Peter wrote:
    > I don't think "Rings" fans would be happy unless scene for scene, and
    > word for word were brought
    > from the book to the movie, making each movie 8 hrs long.
    >
    > Some editing HAS to happen. Accept it, enjoy it for what it is. It's not
    > an exact translation of book to screen.

    As a Tolkien nerd, I was of this opinion until I saw Fellowship of the
    Ring (I got dragged to a midnight showing by my brother). Then I
    realized you have to judge the movie as a movie, not how it relates to
    the novel. I'm ashamed to be in the same category as these cry-babies.
    Kevin Murphy included a chapter on them in his book, A Year at the
    Movies (for balance, he also includes a chapter on how movies often ruin
    books).

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 21, 2003
  14. Justin wrote:
    > Yes, some editing HAS to happen, but completely changing characters?

    Ultimately Jackson has no legal or moral obligation to be absolutely
    true to the novel, who are you to tell him what to do with his movie?
    If you don't like it fine, stop talking about it, you're not expecting
    to win people over, are you?

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 21, 2003
  15. Doonie wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 15:23:50 -0500, Peter wrote:
    >

    >>When you were getting hyped about Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the
    >>rings, were you as shocked as I, about how many people didn't know what
    >>it was ?

    > Two DJs (a man and woman) on the radio were talking about the first
    > movie a few weeks after it came out and the guy said, "The movie was
    > pretty good, but, the way it ended - You just KNOW there's going to be
    > a sequel!" I almost called the station to ask the guy what tree he
    > had been living in. :)

    He must have been joking.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 21, 2003
  16. Peter

    Doonie Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 20:56:08 GMT, Grand Inquisitor wrote:

    >Doonie wrote:
    >
    >> Two DJs (a man and woman) on the radio were talking about the first
    >> movie a few weeks after it came out and the guy said, "The movie was
    >> pretty good, but, the way it ended - You just KNOW there's going to be
    >> a sequel!" I almost called the station to ask the guy what tree he
    >> had been living in. :)

    >He must have been joking.

    Err.. Nope. :) The lady DJ tried to cover up his
    stupidity/ignorance by trying to sound matter-of-fact when she
    explained that there were books (three of them) and then the whole
    subject was dropped. :) Man, did I laugh!

    --
    www.cloakanddagger.ca

    Doonie, Dec 22, 2003
  17. Peter

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Dec 22, 2003
  18. Stan Brown wrote:
    > In article <%RiFb.29996$> in
    > alt.video.dvd, Grand Inquisitor wrote:
    >
    >>Actually Peter Jackson is an expert on all of Tolkien's books, and
    >>probably knows more about them than you or anybody else here does.

    > Perhaps, but the movies argue against that position.

    He was realistic, he changed things and took things out. This is
    standard for a movie adaptation. Why am I the only Tolkien nut who
    understands this?

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor