    Any ideas please, or does it only play in letter-box?
    --
    rosie

    Rosie, Sep 9, 2003

  2. Rosie

    Guest Guest

    Did you buy the full screen edition?

    Guest, Sep 9, 2003

  3. Rosie

    d a v e Guest

    "Rosie" <> wrote in message
    > Does the above play in fullscreen? I have a GeForce 460 MX Pro with
    > TV-out but I can only get the disc to play in letter-box mode on my
    > monitor with Clone set for TV. I am using TV-Tool which I've set to
    > fullscreen.
    > Any ideas please, or does it only play in letter-box?
    > --
    > rosie

    which version did you buy?

    d a v e, Sep 10, 2003
  4. Rosie

    Peter Guest

    I have to ask (which I'm sure others already have) what version of the
    DVD did you buy ?
    If it's in Pan/Scan (Full Screen) then it will fill your screen. if it's
    letterbox, it will have the black bars. Check your box.. Then prepare to
    say "D'OH!"

    Rosie wrote:
    > Does the above play in fullscreen? I have a GeForce 460 MX Pro with
    > TV-out but I can only get the disc to play in letter-box mode on my
    > monitor with Clone set for TV. I am using TV-Tool which I've set to
    > fullscreen.
    > Any ideas please, or does it only play in letter-box?

    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the
    computer you will find at least two human errors,

    Peter, Sep 10, 2003
  5. Rosie

    Biz Guest

    Fullscreen version will play fullscreen, widescreen version will play
    letterboxed on your 4:3 tv. You can't "force" a movie to play in a
    different format than you bought it in. YOur only option is to use zoom if
    your player supports it, but the picture suffers.

    Biz, Sep 10, 2003
  6. Rosie

    Rosie Guest

    In message <vKs7b.16$>,
    writes
    >Did you buy the full screen edition?

    There's nothing on the DVD or case to say! Are they marked full screen
    usually?
    I bought it from Amazon as the 'theatrical version'. I've just mailed
    Amazon to see if they can tell what they sent me.

    --
    gillie

    Rosie, Sep 10, 2003
  7. Rosie

    Rosie Guest

    In message <>, Peter <>
    writes
    >I have to ask (which I'm sure others already have) what version of the
    >DVD did you buy ?
    >If it's in Pan/Scan (Full Screen) then it will fill your screen. if
    >it's letterbox, it will have the black bars. Check your box.. Then
    >prepare to say "D'OH!"

    It says widescreen on the box. I have a widescreen TV.

    Rosie, Sep 10, 2003
  8. Rosie

    Ray Tracer Guest

    in article ppB4YDDr80X$, Rosie at
    thus spake on 9/10/03 11:19 AM:

    > In message <>, Peter <>
    > writes
    >> I have to ask (which I'm sure others already have) what version of the
    >> DVD did you buy ?
    >> If it's in Pan/Scan (Full Screen) then it will fill your screen. if
    >> it's letterbox, it will have the black bars. Check your box.. Then
    >> prepare to say "D'OH!"
    >>

    > It says widescreen on the box. I have a widescreen TV.

    Rosie,

    There's your answer. If you'd purchased the "full-screen" version you
    wouldn't see those black bars. Of course, you'd also find that something
    like 45% of the film would have been cropped off the sides in order to fill
    your 4:3 screen.

    A lot of people seem to find this counterintuitive, but the thing to
    remember is that those black bars don't mean you're missing any of the
    image. On the contrary, they're merely the empty space that results when the
    full (and much wider) movie frame is reduced down sufficiently that the
    entire frame can be seen from side to side as well as top to bottom.

    Neal

    --
    "Is Graham Chapman really dead or is he just being difficult?" - Eric Idle

    Ray Tracer, Sep 10, 2003
  9. On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:19:55 +0100, Rosie <>
    wrote:

    >In message <>, Peter <>
    >writes
    >>I have to ask (which I'm sure others already have) what version of the
    >>DVD did you buy ?
    >>If it's in Pan/Scan (Full Screen) then it will fill your screen. if
    >>it's letterbox, it will have the black bars. Check your box.. Then
    >>prepare to say "D'OH!"
    >>

    >It says widescreen on the box. I have a widescreen TV.

    LotR is 2.35:1, which is wider than a widescreen TV. You will always
    have black bars. If you had bought the fullscreen version, it would
    have been 4:3 and on a widescreen TV that would mean missing picture
    on the sides, and black bars at the sides of the screen. You have
    bought the right version (for your TV, obviously, but also from a
    creative standpoint. Nothing is missing from your version).

    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Sep 10, 2003
  10. Rosie

    Rosie Guest

    In message <>, Mischa van
    Dinter <> writes
    >On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:19:55 +0100, Rosie <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Peter <>
    >>writes
    >>>I have to ask (which I'm sure others already have) what version of the
    >>>DVD did you buy ?
    >>>If it's in Pan/Scan (Full Screen) then it will fill your screen. if
    >>>it's letterbox, it will have the black bars. Check your box.. Then
    >>>prepare to say "D'OH!"
    >>>

    >>It says widescreen on the box. I have a widescreen TV.
    >>>

    >LotR is 2.35:1, which is wider than a widescreen TV. You will always
    >have black bars. If you had bought the fullscreen version, it would
    >have been 4:3 and on a widescreen TV that would mean missing picture
    >on the sides, and black bars at the sides of the screen. You have
    >bought the right version (for your TV, obviously, but also from a
    >creative standpoint. Nothing is missing from your version).
    >
    >Mischa

    Thank you Mischa & Ray. At least I got the 'right' version but it is
    disappointing not to view in fullscreen. I watched the extra DVD (with
    interviews etc.) and a lot of that was full screen.
    Actually, just checked LOTR - Fellowship and that says anamorphic
    widescreen, whatever that means!
    --
    gillie

    Rosie, Sep 10, 2003
  11. Rosie wrote:

    > Actually, just checked LOTR - Fellowship and that says anamorphic
    > widescreen, whatever that means!

    For owners of 16x9 widescreens that are connected using
    component video and using a dvd player that support
    progressive scan an anamorphic presentation represents
    the best picture possible and on some high end tvs can
    approach a theater quality picture.

    Darrel :)

    Darrel Christenson, Sep 10, 2003
  12. Rosie

    Rosie Guest

    In message <>, Mischa van
    Dinter <> writes
    >On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:19:55 +0100, Rosie <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Peter <>
    >>writes
    >>>I have to ask (which I'm sure others already have) what version of the
    >>>DVD did you buy ?
    >>>If it's in Pan/Scan (Full Screen) then it will fill your screen. if
    >>>it's letterbox, it will have the black bars. Check your box.. Then
    >>>prepare to say "D'OH!"
    >>>

    >>It says widescreen on the box. I have a widescreen TV.
    >>>

    >LotR is 2.35:1, which is wider than a widescreen TV. You will always
    >have black bars. If you had bought the fullscreen version, it would
    >have been 4:3 and on a widescreen TV that would mean missing picture
    >on the sides, and black bars at the sides of the screen. You have
    >bought the right version (for your TV, obviously, but also from a
    >creative standpoint. Nothing is missing from your version).
    >
    >Mischa

    I've just discovered Smartstretch in PowerDVD, which, although the movie
    is letterbox, has made the picture larger which is a bonus!
    --
    gillie

    Rosie, Sep 10, 2003
  13. Rosie

    Ray Tracer Guest

    in article sp62r5AH54X$, Rosie at
    thus spake on 9/10/03 3:49 PM:

    > I've just discovered Smartstretch in PowerDVD, which, although the movie
    > is letterbox, has made the picture larger which is a bonus!

    ....but doesn't that make it look worse/distorted??

    Neal

    Ray Tracer, Sep 10, 2003
  14. "Rosie" <> wrote in message
    > In message <>, Mischa van

    > disappointing not to view in fullscreen. I watched the extra DVD (with
    > interviews etc.) and a lot of that was full screen.

    Naturally many "making of" and other extra materials are shot for video or
    use material released for tv, which has a OAR of 4:3 filling the standard tv
    screen. That is why the extras are "fullscreen."

    Steve

    Steve Knoblock, Sep 10, 2003
  15. Rosie

    Rosie Guest

    In message <BB84FA1A.2930B%>, Ray Tracer
    <> writes
    >in article sp62r5AH54X$, Rosie at
    > thus spake on 9/10/03 3:49 PM:
    >

    >> I've just discovered Smartstretch in PowerDVD, which, although the movie
    >> is letterbox, has made the picture larger which is a bonus!

    >...but doesn't that make it look worse/distorted??
    >
    >Neal

    Not to my bloodshot eyes! I only looked at a few minutes but it seemed
    OK to me.
    --
    gillie

    Rosie, Sep 10, 2003
  16. "Ray Tracer" <> wrote in message
    > in article sp62r5AH54X$, Rosie at
    > thus spake on 9/10/03 3:49 PM:
    >

    > > I've just discovered Smartstretch in PowerDVD, which, although the movie
    > > is letterbox, has made the picture larger which is a bonus!

    > ...but doesn't that make it look worse/distorted??
    >
    > Neal
    > --
    > "If morons could fly, it'd be pitch black." - Anonymous

    The Smartstretch can ONLY do 1 of 2 things:

    1) Chop off enough pixels from the left/right so when it is stretched
    vertically it keeps aspect ratio and looks decent enough...basically this is
    just like doing a 1.5x zoom, except you don't loose any vertical space,
    however you loose stuff from the left/right....essentially it is p&s without
    panning.
    2) Simply stretch it to fill the screen. This would create tall & skinny
    people/objects, which is completly unwatchable and retarded. Only morons
    would design a system like this, and only complete retards would watch a
    movie like that.

    Anonymous Joe, Sep 11, 2003
  17. Rosie

    Bill Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 19:24:59 +0100, Rosie <>
    wrote:

    >Thank you Mischa & Ray. At least I got the 'right' version but it is
    >disappointing not to view in fullscreen. I watched the extra DVD (with
    >interviews etc.) and a lot of that was full screen.
    >Actually, just checked LOTR - Fellowship and that says anamorphic
    >widescreen, whatever that means!

    Rosie, go to this site:

    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/welcome.html

    You will find out everything you need to know about "anamorphic
    widescreen" DVD's (A.K.A. "Enhanced for Widescreen TV's"), and Aspect
    Ratios.

    - Bill

    Bill, Sep 11, 2003
  18. Rosie

    Rosie Guest

    In message <>, Bill
    <> writes
    >On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 19:24:59 +0100, Rosie <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Thank you Mischa & Ray. At least I got the 'right' version but it is
    >>disappointing not to view in fullscreen. I watched the extra DVD (with
    >>interviews etc.) and a lot of that was full screen.
    >>Actually, just checked LOTR - Fellowship and that says anamorphic
    >>widescreen, whatever that means!

    >Rosie, go to this site:
    >
    >http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/welcome.html
    >
    >You will find out everything you need to know about "anamorphic
    >widescreen" DVD's (A.K.A. "Enhanced for Widescreen TV's"), and Aspect
    >Ratios.
    >
    >- Bill

    Thanks Bill, that's really helpful.
    --
    gillie

    Rosie, Sep 11, 2003
  19. Rosie

    Rosie Guest

    In message <1RP7b.412403$Ho3.64402@sccrnsc03>, Anonymous Joe
    <> writes
    >"Ray Tracer" <> wrote in message
    >> in article sp62r5AH54X$, Rosie at
    >> thus spake on 9/10/03 3:49 PM:
    >>

    >> > I've just discovered Smartstretch in PowerDVD, which, although the movie
    >> > is letterbox, has made the picture larger which is a bonus!

    >> ...but doesn't that make it look worse/distorted??
    >>
    >> Neal
    >> --
    >> "If morons could fly, it'd be pitch black." - Anonymous
    >>

    >The Smartstretch can ONLY do 1 of 2 things:
    >
    >1) Chop off enough pixels from the left/right so when it is stretched
    >vertically it keeps aspect ratio and looks decent enough...basically this is
    >just like doing a 1.5x zoom, except you don't loose any vertical space,
    >however you loose stuff from the left/right....essentially it is p&s without
    >panning.

    This is what I've got.
    >2) Simply stretch it to fill the screen. This would create tall & skinny
    >people/objects, which is completly unwatchable and retarded. Only morons
    >would design a system like this, and only complete retards would watch a
    >movie like that.

    Quite.
    --
    gillie

    Rosie, Sep 11, 2003
  20. Rosie

    GMAN Guest

    In article <s$TTJxGOOjX$>, Rosie <> wrote:
    >Does the above play in fullscreen? I have a GeForce 460 MX Pro with
    >TV-out but I can only get the disc to play in letter-box mode on my
    >monitor with Clone set for TV. I am using TV-Tool which I've set to
    >fullscreen.
    >Any ideas please, or does it only play in letter-box?

    WHy one earth would you want to play it fullscreen?

    GMAN, Sep 12, 2003