    There has been nothing done to any of my hardware or software recently, and
    I don't have anything such as a portable phone emitting spurious signals.

    Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
    Papa, Jun 29, 2004

  2. Papa

    Papa Guest

    I'm not 100% sure that I found the answer, but I powered the router and the
    cable modem down for 1 minute, then powered them both back up. After that,
    the signal strength was back to Excellent.

    Can anyone explain this? Thanks.

    "Papa" <> wrote in message
    > I started loosing signal strength on my laptop yesterday. For weeks the
    > signal strength has been rated as Excellent to Good. Now it varies from

    Good
    > to Low to Disconnected, and this is not just a temporary thing. I have

    tried
    > it several times over the past 8 hours - same result.
    >
    > I am using a D-Link DI-714P+ wireless router, and my laptop has a Netgear
    > MA521 wireless card. The laptop is a Gateway model 400SD4. My OS for the
    > laptop is Windows XP Home Edition. The laptop is the only computer I have
    > connected as wireless, although I also have 2 desktops wired to the router
    > with CAT 5 cable. Both of them can access the internet without any

    problems.

    Papa, Jun 30, 2004

  3. Papa

    Papa Guest

    Follow up. I was using the laptop for about 30 minutes, and signal strength
    was rated as Excellent. I was looking at some files from another computer in
    my LAN. Then the signal strength began dropping until I lost the connection
    entirely. The only possible cause I can think of was that I was running the
    laptop on battery only. I checked the battery monitor and it reported 1.65
    hours remaining.

    I hope that this is not typical behavior for wireless. If it is, forget
    reliability.

    Papa, Jun 30, 2004
  4. Papa

    Papa Guest

    Another follow up. Without recharging the battery, today I reset the router
    and that resulted in Excellent signal strength - but for how long?

    Papa, Jun 30, 2004
  5. Papa

    Dave Guest

    my guess would be is that the transmitter in the router is going bad. after
    its on for a while it heats up and looses output. it could also be that
    there is something turning the power down on the router, i don't know why it
    would do that on purpose, but maybe there is a bug in the router code that
    does that... check with the mfg to see if there is an update for it.

    Dave, Jun 30, 2004
  6. Papa

    Papa Guest

    Hi Dave:

    Judging from similar complaints in this NG from people using a variety of
    routers, that seems unlikely - but who knows?? I'll check with the router
    manufacturer, and take a look at my laptop's power saving settings.

    Thanks for responding.

    Papa, Jul 1, 2004
  7. Papa

    Gurooni

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Same problem

    I am experiencing the same exact problem with a Linksys wrt350n.
    I have had excellent signal strength for weeks and all of a sudden today I have very low strength unless I sit right next to the router.
    Gurooni, Dec 31, 2007