    the Linksys 54g and XP would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,
    Neil

    =?Utf-8?B?TmVpbA==?=, Jan 26, 2005

  2. Neil,

    What kind of WiFi card do you have in the computer? The driver for the WiFi
    card/adapter has to support WPA if you plan to use it. Sounds like you're
    having perhaps multiple issues; are you broadcasting the SSID from the
    router? Check link status (or the equivalent) on your WiFi PC, what is the
    connection speed (ie, 54meg) and signal strength? Is any of the equip near a
    cordless phone/base and/or a microwave oven? The radio interference could
    cause a signal drop in your router/PC. Try changing the channel on the
    router, at least 3 channels away from what it is set for now.
    --
    Joseph

    "Neil" <> wrote in message
    > I'm new to this wireless network stuff so bear with me. I have a Linksys

    54g
    > router, XP home, SP2 installed last night (thought it would allow WPA).

    My
    > problem started when I lost my connection and noticed a neighbors unsecure
    > connection available and my SSID no longer available. I deleted my old

    SSID,
    > created a new one using WEP, key set automatically, and now I can see the
    > router, but loose my internet connection. For example, It let me connect,
    > then a minute or two later I was working off line. Any tips for setting

    up

    Joseph Stewart, Jan 28, 2005

  3. Thanks Joseph,
    I upgraded my adapter to handle WPA and have ironed out WPA security
    problems. I am broadcasting the SSID. Connection speed is 54mps and signal
    strength is maxed out, (I am only 8 feet away from my router at times when
    the connection is lost.) I am not near my microwave or coreless phone. When
    I created a new SSID, I changed the channel from 6 to 1 and still picked up
    the neighboring SSID and lost internet connection. I have now changed the
    wireless properties by unchecking the "let windows configure or set the
    wireless connection" or something like that. It seems to be stable after
    that... we'll see.

    Thanks again,

    =?Utf-8?B?TmVpbA==?=, Jan 28, 2005