Loose encrypted connection after re-boot

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by joekohn@att.net, Dec 26, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Have been running desktop with Me and a laptop with XP using Microsoft
    wireless adaptors. Have no problem without encryption.

    Ideally would/should use encryption... Setup both machines with same
    key and worked fine.

    After re-booting the laptop, I could not connect to the "secure"
    network. I had to re-insert the key in the laptop, then could connect
    again.

    Why doesn't the key "stick"?

    I noted that the XP an Me wireless configuration windows are different.
    Also, although I input a 10-character hexidecimal key, when I go back
    to look at the key input boxes, there are only 8 mask characters.
    (Puzzled!?!?)

    Although I consider myself a VERY advanced user, I am stumped!!!
    Getting ready to call Best Buy Geek Squad!!!

    Any ideas???

    , Dec 26, 2004