Looney Tunes Golden Collection

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by PW, Nov 1, 2003.

  1. PW

    PW Guest

    Haven't really seen anybody's responses to this new set.

    The shorts look great, the extras are very informative
    (particularly the commentaries), and it's just nice
    to finally have these on DVD!

    Yes, it would have been nice to have other specific
    shorts along with these ("What's Opera Doc?"),
    and I know some people would have liked a chronological DVD set,
    but I think what we got isn't all that bad!

    I'm just happy to have "Duck Amuck" on DVD finally.
    And I'm glad Warner included 2 of the "Gossamer"
    shorts on these, because he seems to be a forgotten
    character....every time I mention Looney Tunes to
    my friends lots of them don't know who he is.

    Anyone else?

    PW
    PW, Nov 1, 2003

  2. PW

    BubbCoop Guest

    <<Yes, it would have been nice to have other specific
    shorts along with these ("What's Opera Doc?")>>

    I saw in another post there are plans to release other DVDs sets of shorts. The
    same poster mentioned there were 1100 different Loony Tunes shorts?
    BubbCoop, Nov 1, 2003

  3. PW <> wrote:

    > The shorts look great...

    Actually, the picture quality is so good that it's a little bit
    distracting: you can see the flecks of dust on the cels, moving from
    frame to frame. There were one or two spots where I thought this was
    part of the 'toon until I looked closer.

    But yes, the restorations are generally excellent.

    doug

    --

    ---------------Douglas Bailey ()---------------
    I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between...
    Douglas Bailey, Nov 1, 2003
  4. PW

    Wade365 Guest

    Am I blind, stupid, or a little of both... they didn't include the hunting
    trilogy ("Shoot the Duck! Shoot The Duck!") with Rabbit vs. Duck season?
    Wade365, Nov 1, 2003
  5. PW wrote:
    > Haven't really seen anybody's responses to this new set.
    >
    > The shorts look great, the extras are very informative
    > (particularly the commentaries), and it's just nice
    > to finally have these on DVD!
    >
    > Yes, it would have been nice to have other specific
    > shorts along with these ("What's Opera Doc?"),
    > and I know some people would have liked a chronological DVD set,
    > but I think what we got isn't all that bad!

    We've already had a couple of national-press articles about Warner being
    besieged by "Where's our 'WOD?' and 'One Froggy Evening'??" villagers
    with their torches and pitchforks, and Warner reps barricading the doors
    with:
    A) "We have to save *something* marketable for Set 2!",
    and
    B) "These things're in bad shape, it takes months to restore sixty of
    these--No wonder we can only do one set a year!"

    (On a more positive note, well, I, er, THINK we're past Warner's earlier
    "If nobody buys the 4-disk, we'll only put out 2-disk sets in the
    future" hurdle from here on in...) :)

    > I'm just happy to have "Duck Amuck" on DVD finally.
    > And I'm glad Warner included 2 of the "Gossamer"
    > shorts on these, because he seems to be a forgotten
    > character...

    In point of fact, they included the two where his name was Rudolph.
    (...AAAUGH!!!--WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END??? Look, you've even got the
    damn subtitles, read 'em yourself!)

    > every time I mention Looney Tunes to
    > my friends lots of them don't know who he is.

    Well...maybe nobody SAW "Duck Dodgers & the Return of the 24th-1/2th
    Century"??
    (Or maybe they just don't *like* the cloying and irritatingly talk-ass
    70's-80's post-retirement Chuck cartoons?)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Nov 1, 2003
  6. PW

    r7di697 Guest

    What's the one where Elmer is a Viking and it's an opera? Elmer keeps
    singing, "Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit..." I loved that cartoon. Is it
    in the collection?

    r7di697, Nov 1, 2003

    Derek Janssen, Nov 1, 2003
  8. PW

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <bo12no$j0$>, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    > PW wrote:
    > > Haven't really seen anybody's responses to this new set.
    > >
    > > The shorts look great, the extras are very informative
    > > (particularly the commentaries), and it's just nice
    > > to finally have these on DVD!
    > >
    > > Yes, it would have been nice to have other specific
    > > shorts along with these ("What's Opera Doc?"),
    > > and I know some people would have liked a chronological DVD set,
    > > but I think what we got isn't all that bad!

    > We've already had a couple of national-press articles about Warner being
    > besieged by "Where's our 'WOD?' and 'One Froggy Evening'??" villagers
    > with their torches and pitchforks, and Warner reps barricading the doors
    > with:
    > A) "We have to save *something* marketable for Set 2!",
    > and
    > B) "These things're in bad shape, it takes months to restore sixty of
    > these--No wonder we can only do one set a year!"

    They can point to Disney only putting out one or two Mickey sets a year
    :)

    > (On a more positive note, well, I, er, THINK we're past Warner's earlier
    > "If nobody buys the 4-disk, we'll only put out 2-disk sets in the
    > future" hurdle from here on in...) :)

    I saw empty shelves at three stores, so it's selling.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Nov 1, 2003
  9. PW

    Pug Fugley Guest

    "r7di697" <> wrote in message
    > What's the one where Elmer is a Viking and it's an opera? Elmer keeps
    > singing, "Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit..." I loved that cartoon. Is

    it
    > in the collection?

    Isn't that 'What's Opera Doc'? No, it's not there.
    Pug Fugley, Nov 1, 2003
  10. PW

    r7di697 Guest

    Rats.

    r7di697, Nov 1, 2003
  11. PW

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > We've already had a couple of national-press articles about Warner being
    > besieged by "Where's our 'WOD?' and 'One Froggy Evening'??"

    Did you notice that Michigan J. Frog was ENTIRELY missed on the info
    track on the Roger Rabbit DVD? Bizarre!

    As I love Marvin The Martian (God, I'd give about anything for "Marvin
    The Martian In The Third Dimension" on DVD...WITH glasses!), I'm pleased
    to see Duck Dodgers on the set. A major raspberry to whichever twerp it
    was on either the Bits or DVD file who dissed Marv...
    Peter Briggs, Nov 1, 2003
  12. PW

    jayembee Guest

    (BubbCoop) wrote:

    > I saw in another post there are plans to release other
    > DVDs sets of shorts. The same poster mentioned there were
    > 1100 different Loony Tunes shorts?

    That sounds about right.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Nov 1, 2003
  13. PW

    jayembee Guest

    "r7di697" <> wrote:

    > What's the one where Elmer is a Viking and it's an opera?
    > Elmer keeps singing, "Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit..."

    That's the aforementioned "What's Opera, Doc?"

    > I loved that cartoon. Is it in the collection?

    No, it isn't. Don't let that dissuade you from picking up
    the collection, though.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Nov 1, 2003
  14. PW

    jayembee Guest

    (PW) wrote:

    > Yes, it would have been nice to have other specific shorts
    > along with these ("What's Opera Doc?"), and I know some
    > people would have liked a chronological DVD set, but I
    > think what we got isn't all that bad!

    What we got was effin' terrific.

    People will quibble about format, or about contents (more
    specifically, what was *not* in the set as opposed to what
    *was*), but I doubt that it would be possible for Warner
    to release *any* collection of Looney Tunes that wouldn't
    upset someone (unless they released one, single mega-set
    of every LT/MM there ever was, and priced it under $20.00).

    What they've released put a big smile on my face, and I'm
    looking forward to the next two dozen collections. :)

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Nov 1, 2003
  15. PW

    Vin Guest

    On 1 Nov 2003 10:03:17 -0800, (PW) wrote:

    >And I'm glad Warner included 2 of the "Gossamer"
    >shorts on these, because he seems to be a forgotten
    >character...

    Why do people call him Gossamer? Isn't his name "Rudolph?"

    Vincent

    www.vincasa.com
    Vin, Nov 2, 2003
  16. Vin wrote:
    >>And I'm glad Warner included 2 of the "Gossamer"
    >>shorts on these, because he seems to be a forgotten
    >>character...

    > Why do people call him Gossamer? Isn't his name "Rudolph?"

    In "Duck Dogers/Return" (nahh, piece o' post-retirement crap and haven't
    seen it more than once either), Marvin promises to introduce Dodgers to
    "Gossamer"--
    Hmm, thinks Dodgers, must be one of those space princesses we heroes
    always get...Wellll, yes and no.

    (So...that's it. One gag. One STUPID little self-referential Warner
    cameo-itis gag in an obscure and overbearing New-toon that's barely been
    seen since the Nickelodeon airings, and Rudy gets a *permanent* name
    change from fan-posers with goldfish memories??--Get with the program,
    people!!)

    Derek Janssen (who owes more loyalty to "Water, Water, Every Hare")
    Derek Janssen, Nov 2, 2003
  17. PW

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Peter Briggs" <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > As I love Marvin The Martian (God, I'd give about anything for "Marvin
    > The Martian In The Third Dimension" on DVD...WITH glasses!), I'm

    pleased
    > to see Duck Dodgers on the set. A major raspberry to whichever twerp

    it
    > was on either the Bits or DVD file who dissed Marv...

    Wasn't DVDFile. I don't think we've even done a review of the set yet.

    Looks like it was the Bits reviewer, in his "Disc Two" paragraph":

    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/looneytunesgolden.html
    Joshua Zyber, Nov 2, 2003
  18. PW

    Wade365 Guest

    << they didn't include the hunting
    > trilogy ("Shoot the Duck! Shoot The Duck!") with Rabbit vs. Duck season?

    That's "Duck, Rabbit, Duck!", and no--Two out of three. >>

    I was quoting my favorite Daffy line from the cartoon, actually.
    Wade365, Nov 2, 2003
  19. PW

    Peter Briggs Guest

    jayembee <> wrote:

    > What we got was effin' terrific.

    I have it on order, so I'm looking forward to it very much. It'd be
    impossible to have the "perfect" collection right off the bat, as so
    many people have their own fond movies of specific cartoons.
    Peter Briggs, Nov 2, 2003
  20. PW

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "PW" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, it would have been nice to have other specific
    > shorts along with these ("What's Opera Doc?"),
    > and I know some people would have liked a chronological
    > DVD set, but I think what we got isn't all that bad!

    So far, I have only rented the first 2 disks of the Loony Tunes
    collection. On the disk 2 "Termite Terrace" documentary, there are some
    scenes from the Charles M. Jones "One Froggy Evening" cartoon, featuring
    Michigan J. Frog. I am assuming that this cartoon is on either disk 3 or
    disk 4, because it would be cruel to tease us with scenes from one of
    the greatest cartoons ever made if it isn't in the collection.

    "Hello ma baby, hello ma honey, hello ma ragtime gal..."

    Is this classic 1955 cartoon part of the DVD collection?

    This cartoon alone would be worth the purchase price of the DVD set.
    Scot Gardner, Nov 2, 2003