Looks like Polaroid didn't need Ilford after all

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rich, Jul 7, 2008.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    There has been speculation on this toy for months.

    from amateurphotographer magazine:

    Polaroid to launch camera with printer before Christmas

    Friday 4th July 2008
    Chris Cheesman
    Polaroid ZINC

    Polaroid has confirmed that it plans to launch a digital compact
    camera with a built-in printer following this week's debut of a
    standalone printer using the same ZINC technology.

    Amateur Photographer has learned that the, as yet, unnamed model will
    go on sale in the 'fourth quarter' of this year, in time for
    Christmas.

    Today sees the official debut of Polaroid's pocket-sized 'inkless' £99
    digital printer called PoGo (pictured). It produces 2x3in prints.

    The planned digital compact is expected to feature a 16MB internal
    memory, SD card storage and will be the first in a range.

    'It will function as a normal digital camera if the user does not want
    to instantly print photos,' said a UK spokesman.

    Specification is yet to be finalised but Polaroid hinted that it may
    carry a resolution of 5-million-pixels.

    The camera will sport a monitor for viewing images. The 2x3in paper
    will slot into the back of the camera body.
    Rich, Jul 7, 2008

  2. Rich

    Dev/Null Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    > There has been speculation on this toy for months.
    >
    > from amateurphotographer magazine:
    >
    > Polaroid to launch camera with printer before Christmas

    Except people didn't want a new crap camera from Polaroid, they wanted a
    source of film for their existing instant print cameras. The agreement with
    Ilford was to market film packs.
    Dev/Null, Jul 7, 2008

  3. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Jul 7, 1:20 pm, TRoss <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 22:59:01 -0700 (PDT), Rich <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >There has been speculation on this toy for months.

    > >from amateurphotographer magazine:

    > >Polaroid to launch camera with printer before Christmas

    > >Friday 4th July 2008
    > >Chris Cheesman
    > >Polaroid ZINC

    > >Polaroid has confirmed that it plans to launch a digital compact
    > >camera with a built-in printer following this week's debut of a
    > >standalone printer using the same ZINC technology.

    > >Amateur Photographer has learned that the, as yet, unnamed model will
    > >go on sale in the 'fourth quarter' of this year, in time for
    > >Christmas.

    > This is the same Chris Cheesman of Amateur Photographer who told us
    > Vivitar will be making a new 35mm SLR for Kodak. Someone otter tell
    > him the name of the company/technology is ZINK ... as in Zero INK.
    >
    > I'm sure Polaroid is working on a camera/printer combo - there were
    > articles about it in Gizmodo and engadget the first part of 2007.
    >
    > http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/30/zink-bringing-printers-to-your-han...
    >
    > http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/digital-cameras/first-look-zink-camera-has...
    >
    > TR

    Probably a smart move by Polaroid, you can't keep going by selling
    bargain-basement P&S's, just ask Kodak.
    Rich, Jul 8, 2008
  4. Rich

    John Turco Guest

    Rich wrote:

    <edited for brevity>

    > Probably a smart move by Polaroid, you can't keep going by selling
    > bargain-basement P&S's, just ask Kodak.

    Hello, Rich:

    Oh, is that so? >You< seem to be thriving, by widely distributing
    your "bargain-basement" trolls! :-D

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Jul 11, 2008