    the blocklist (however, it automatically clears itself 20 hours after
    the last "offence").

    Oh well, I'll just use a different smtp server (sigh).

    Daniel, Aug 4, 2005

  2. Daniel

    Rob Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    news:42f1c758$...
    > "Host name of 202.0.58.23 is bm-4a.paradise.net.nz"
    >
    > Just got an e-mail bounced back to me, with reason being one of the IP
    > addresses on the route (202.0.58.23) being blocked by SpamCop.
    >
    > The mail server that bounced it was the orcon one (mail.orcon.net.nz),
    > and I checked with the SpamCop database, and sure enough that IP was on
    > the blocklist (however, it automatically clears itself 20 hours after
    > the last "offence").
    >
    > Oh well, I'll just use a different smtp server (sigh).

    Spamcop sucks. It relys on good faith, and anyone can report someone for
    spamming, hich then affects the IP address that they were sending from. If
    it is from an ISP, is affects all other users on that IP.

    Rob, Aug 4, 2005

  3. On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 21:02:14 +1200, someone purporting to be Rob didst
    scrawl:

    > "Daniel" <> wrote in message

    *SNIP*
    > Spamcop sucks. It relys on good faith, and anyone can report someone for
    > spamming, hich then affects the IP address that they were sending from. If
    > it is from an ISP, is affects all other users on that IP.

    Paradise, however, regularly get listed and are slack about getting
    de-listed.
    We have more issues with them than any other ISP when it comes to clients
    at work complaining that we're "blocking" their e-mail - we don't, it just
    gets delayed coming via Paradise because they're listed more often than
    they're not.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Matthew Poole, Aug 4, 2005
  4. Daniel

    H.O.G Guest

    On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 19:45:25 +1200, Daniel <>
    spoke these fine words:

    >"Host name of 202.0.58.23 is bm-4a.paradise.net.nz"
    >
    >Just got an e-mail bounced back to me, with reason being one of the IP
    >addresses on the route (202.0.58.23) being blocked by SpamCop.
    >
    >The mail server that bounced it was the orcon one (mail.orcon.net.nz),
    >and I checked with the SpamCop database, and sure enough that IP was on
    >the blocklist (however, it automatically clears itself 20 hours after
    >the last "offence").
    >
    >Oh well, I'll just use a different smtp server (sigh).

    Nothing new here. Paradise always seem to find themselves on the
    lists. They seem to have far more problems with this than other ISPs.

    H.O.G, Aug 4, 2005
  5. Daniel

    Philip Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:
    > On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 21:02:14 +1200, someone purporting to be Rob didst
    > scrawl:
    >

    >>"Daniel" <> wrote in message

    > *SNIP*
    >
    >>Spamcop sucks. It relys on good faith, and anyone can report someone for
    >>spamming, hich then affects the IP address that they were sending from. If
    >>it is from an ISP, is affects all other users on that IP.

    > Paradise, however, regularly get listed and are slack about getting
    > de-listed.
    > We have more issues with them than any other ISP when it comes to clients
    > at work complaining that we're "blocking" their e-mail - we don't, it just
    > gets delayed coming via Paradise because they're listed more often than
    > they're not.

    Which is because SpamCop is a real Bilstein of an organisation. It
    accepts and repeats anything anyone tells it. Orcon also gets clobbered.

    I wonder what will happen if someone reports Spamcop's own IP address to
    itself? Maybe they will get smarter?

    Philip

    Philip, Aug 5, 2005
  6. On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 17:27:03 +1200, someone purporting to be Philip didst
    scrawl:

    > Matthew Poole wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >> Paradise, however, regularly get listed and are slack about getting
    >> de-listed.
    >> We have more issues with them than any other ISP when it comes to clients
    >> at work complaining that we're "blocking" their e-mail - we don't, it just
    >> gets delayed coming via Paradise because they're listed more often than
    >> they're not.
    >>

    > Which is because SpamCop is a real Bilstein of an organisation. It
    > accepts and repeats anything anyone tells it. Orcon also gets clobbered.

    Being slack is only Paradise's fault. IHUG and Slingshot both seem to
    avoid extended periods of being registered, and they're of a similar size
    to Paradise.

    > I wonder what will happen if someone reports Spamcop's own IP address to
    > itself? Maybe they will get smarter?

    Unlikely. That would require a change in their model, and that seems to be
    beyond their intellectual capabilities.

    Matthew Poole, Aug 5, 2005
  7. At that very moment, Rob turned to nz.comp and said
    > Spamcop sucks. It relys on good faith, and anyone can report someone for
    > spamming, hich then affects the IP address that they were sending from. If
    > it is from an ISP, is affects all other users on that IP.

    It takes more than one report to get on the blacklist, though.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Aug 6, 2005