Looks like cost-cutting is starting to cause problems at the low-end

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jan 25, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Jan 25, 2011

  2. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:10:42 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >Of course, a D3100 isn't an $8000 Leica (remember the M8 and the IR
    >screw-up?) but it's stupid to have released this camera. I'm
    >surprised that oftentimes the camera mfg's don't catch the problems,
    >then the professional reviewers don't, only the users seem to catch on
    >in many cases.
    >
    >http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans...2LzEvdGltZS8xMjk1OTc3MjIzL3NpZC94OVEyY1praw==

    Each step along the way probably multiplies the number of eyes looking
    for problems by a good 1000 or more.
    John A., Jan 26, 2011

  3. RichA

    Mary Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:10:42 -0800 (PST), a hum dinger purporting to be
    RichA is alledged to have said:

    > but it's stupid to have released this camera.

    It's a wonder they manage to make such a huge profit.
    In fact, listening to you (for a laugh) it's a wonder
    that they are still in business!!!!

    Some sort of plastic alliance maybe????

    Oh dear there I go again.

    Mary.
    Mary, Jan 26, 2011
  4. RichA

    peter Guest

    Re: Looks like cost-cutting is starting to cause problems at thelow-end

    On 1/26/2011 1:08 AM, John A. wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:10:42 -0800 (PST), RichA<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Of course, a D3100 isn't an $8000 Leica (remember the M8 and the IR
    >> screw-up?) but it's stupid to have released this camera. I'm
    >> surprised that oftentimes the camera mfg's don't catch the problems,
    >> then the professional reviewers don't, only the users seem to catch on
    >> in many cases.
    >>
    >> http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans...2LzEvdGltZS8xMjk1OTc3MjIzL3NpZC94OVEyY1praw==

    > Each step along the way probably multiplies the number of eyes looking
    > for problems by a good 1000 or more.

    Exactly what does a software modification have to do with your subject line.

    --
    Peter
    peter, Jan 27, 2011
  5. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:34:32 -0500, peter
    <> wrote:

    >On 1/26/2011 1:08 AM, John A. wrote:
    >> On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:10:42 -0800 (PST), RichA<>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Of course, a D3100 isn't an $8000 Leica (remember the M8 and the IR
    >>> screw-up?) but it's stupid to have released this camera. I'm
    >>> surprised that oftentimes the camera mfg's don't catch the problems,
    >>> then the professional reviewers don't, only the users seem to catch on
    >>> in many cases.
    >>>
    >>> http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans...2LzEvdGltZS8xMjk1OTc3MjIzL3NpZC94OVEyY1praw==

    >> Each step along the way probably multiplies the number of eyes looking
    >> for problems by a good 1000 or more.

    >Exactly what does a software modification have to do with your subject line.

    Wasn't mine. I borrowed it.
    John A., Jan 27, 2011
  6. RichA

    On 1/26/2011 8:30 PM, John A. wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:34:32 -0500, peter
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 1/26/2011 1:08 AM, John A. wrote:

    >>> Each step along the way probably multiplies the number of eyes looking
    >>> for problems by a good 1000 or more.

    >> Exactly what does a software modification have to do with your subject line.

    > Wasn't mine. I borrowed it.

    Sorry John, That comment was directed at Rich.

    --
    Peter
    peter, Jan 27, 2011
  7. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:10:13 -0500, peter <>
    wrote:
    : On 1/26/2011 8:30 PM, John A. wrote:
    : > On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:34:32 -0500, peter
    : > <> wrote:
    : >
    : >> On 1/26/2011 1:08 AM, John A. wrote:
    : >>> On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:10:42 -0800 (PST), RichA<>
    : >>> wrote:
    : >>>
    : >>>> Of course, a D3100 isn't an $8000 Leica (remember the M8 and the IR
    : >>>> screw-up?) but it's stupid to have released this camera. I'm
    : >>>> surprised that oftentimes the camera mfg's don't catch the problems,
    : >>>> then the professional reviewers don't, only the users seem to catch on
    : >>>> in many cases.
    : >>>>
    : >>>> http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans...2LzEvdGltZS8xMjk1OTc3MjIzL3NpZC94OVEyY1praw==
    : >>>
    : >>> Each step along the way probably multiplies the number of eyes looking
    : >>> for problems by a good 1000 or more.
    : >>
    : >> Exactly what does a software modification have to do with your subject line.
    : >
    : > Wasn't mine. I borrowed it.
    :
    : Sorry John, That comment was directed at Rich.

    Who evidently thinks that having to issue an extensive software mod is a
    humiliation to the manufacturer and must be indicative of sloppy design and
    testing. There may be a grain of truth to that, but those of us who have spent
    a long time in the software world tend to see it a bit differently: If you're
    able to design the camera so that most of the problems encountered by users
    can be fixed by software mods, that's a hell of a lot cheaper and less
    intrusive than having to recall and modify the hardware.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jan 29, 2011
  8. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:14:44 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : On 2011-01-26 06:01:21 -0800, Mary <> said:
    :
    : > On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:10:42 -0800 (PST), a hum dinger purporting to be
    : > RichA is alledged to have said:
    : >
    : >> but it's stupid to have released this camera.
    : >
    : > It's a wonder they manage to make such a huge profit.
    : > In fact, listening to you (for a laugh) it's a wonder
    : > that they are still in business!!!!
    : >
    : > Some sort of plastic alliance maybe????
    : >
    : > Oh dear there I go again.
    : >
    : > Mary.
    :
    : Hello "Peter", "Ned Griffin", "Alexander", "Selina", "Charlie", and now
    : "Mary" our resident nym-shifting redirector.
    :
    : From: Mary <>
    : Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
    :
    : As much as Rich can be irritating, you are actually a far worse
    : disruption to the NG than Rich ever was, you ass!!

    I think it's a bit of a stretch to conclude that Mary is just one of Supy's
    aliases. But if you're right, at least this article is much more civil in tone
    than most of his previous contributions. If he's starting to overcome whatever
    it is that's made him so misanthropic, he should be encouraged, not ridiculed.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jan 29, 2011
  9. RichA

    On 1/29/2011 9:04 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:10:13 -0500, peter<>
    > wrote:
    > : On 1/26/2011 8:30 PM, John A. wrote:
    > :> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:34:32 -0500, peter

    > :>> Exactly what does a software modification have to do with your subject line.
    > :>
    > :> Wasn't mine. I borrowed it.
    > :
    > : Sorry John, That comment was directed at Rich.
    >
    > Who evidently thinks that having to issue an extensive software mod is a
    > humiliation to the manufacturer and must be indicative of sloppy design and
    > testing. There may be a grain of truth to that, but those of us who have spent
    > a long time in the software world tend to see it a bit differently: If you're
    > able to design the camera so that most of the problems encountered by users
    > can be fixed by software mods, that's a hell of a lot cheaper and less
    > intrusive than having to recall and modify the hardware.

    Rich often lacks so much logic in his postings, that I wonder if he
    writes what he really thinks.

    --
    Peter
    peter, Jan 29, 2011