..looks like a Canon 10D, 300D ,Nikon D100 killer to me......

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jim Waggener, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. Jim Waggener

    Jim Waggener Guest

    Jim Waggener, Feb 3, 2004

  2. Jim Waggener

    Charlie Self Guest

    Charlie Self, Feb 4, 2004

  3. Jim Waggener

    AArDvarK Guest

    Nope ... no mirror lock up for photography.
    Alex

    AArDvarK, Feb 4, 2004
  4. Jim Waggener

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >Jim Waggener posts
    >
    >facts is facts.

    But all the facts aren't in yet, wait until PMA ... what happens if the 300D
    drops in price to $499 and the 10D is replaced with the 10D Mark II with the
    8.2 Mpix sensor for $999 - $1,199, as rumored?
    Bill Hilton, Feb 4, 2004
  5. Jim Waggener

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:

    > >Jim Waggener posts
    > >
    > >facts is facts.

    > But all the facts aren't in yet, wait until PMA ... what happens if the 300D
    > drops in price to $499 and the 10D is replaced with the 10D Mark II with the
    > 8.2 Mpix sensor for $999 - $1,199, as rumored?

    I'll tell you what happens, I start warming up the credit cards :)

    Lisa
    Lisa Horton, Feb 4, 2004
  6. Jim Waggener

    KBob Guest

    On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:28:25 -0800, "AArDvarK" <>
    wrote:

    >Nope ... no mirror lock up for photography.
    >Alex

    Also it's missing a couple of the highest ISO settings, and the flash
    is a bit weaker. Also it has lost the TIFF imaging capability of the
    D100. Maybe a "killer" in terms of price, however...
    KBob, Feb 4, 2004
  7. Jim Waggener

    Jim Waggener Guest

    > I'll tell you what happens, I start warming up the credit cards :)
    >
    > Lisa

    lol. exactly the person they want

    Jim Waggener, Feb 4, 2004
  8. Jim Waggener

    PhotoMan Guest

    "Lisa Horton" <> wrote in message

    > I'll tell you what happens, I start warming up the credit cards :)

    Hell, mine went up in smoke within a month of buying my dReb!
    Joe Arnold
    PhotoMan, Feb 4, 2004
  9. Jim Waggener

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Jim Waggener wrote:

    > > I'll tell you what happens, I start warming up the credit cards :)
    > >
    > > Lisa

    > lol. exactly the person they want

    Well, the other Canon DSLR's have pretty much all paid for themselves in
    short order, no reason why that should change with a better one :)

    Really though, they'd need to come up with more than a slight increase
    in pixel count to get me to bite again so soon. But if the long rumored
    EOS 3 DSLR came out, that would be an easy decision.

    Lisa
    Lisa Horton, Feb 4, 2004
  10. Jim Waggener

    W6DKN Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:
    >> Jim Waggener posts
    >>
    >> facts is facts.

    > But all the facts aren't in yet, wait until PMA ... what happens if
    > the 300D drops in price to $499 and the 10D is replaced with the 10D
    > Mark II with the
    > 8.2 Mpix sensor for $999 - $1,199, as rumored?

    Then I'll look out the window to see if I can spot any flying pigs ... :>)

    = Dan =
    W6DKN, Feb 4, 2004
  11. Jim Waggener

    Gavin Cato Guest

    I can't see for the life of me why you'd want to use TIFF anyway.

    Just shoot RAW, smaller filesize and convert to TIFF later. Exact same
    quality as shooting TIFF in the first place.

    Gavin Cato, Feb 4, 2004
  12. Jim Waggener

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    Jim Waggener <> wrote:
    >http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond70/

    Funny, it looks like a camera to me.

    Why must everything be the "killer" of everything else in order to be taken
    seriously by some people? Can't we just evaluate these things for what they
    are? The 10D, 300D and D100 are all very good cameras with their own
    strengths and weaknesses. The D70 looks like it's also going to be a very
    good camera. It's good to see that the competition between Nikon and Canon
    is still healthy.
    Chris Brown, Feb 4, 2004
  13. TIFF can give more streamlined workflow.

    Darren Sawyer, Feb 4, 2004
  14. Jim Waggener

    Guest

    In message <4020bca0$>,
    "Gavin Cato" <> wrote:

    >I can't see for the life of me why you'd want to use TIFF anyway.

    >Just shoot RAW, smaller filesize and convert to TIFF later. Exact same
    >quality as shooting TIFF in the first place.

    Better, actually, because TIFF forces a white-balance, so you degrade
    the image by balancing it again (or changing levels again).
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
    , Feb 4, 2004
  15. Jim Waggener

    Guest

    In message <bvqk3l$6bv$>,
    "Darren Sawyer" <> wrote:

    >TIFF can give more streamlined workflow.

    I'd rather wait for a RAW render at home than have my camera tied up in
    the field with long TIFF writes.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
    , Feb 4, 2004
  16. Jim Waggener

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <4020bca0$>, Gavin Cato <> wrote:
    >I can't see for the life of me why you'd want to use TIFF anyway.
    >
    >Just shoot RAW, smaller filesize and convert to TIFF later. Exact same
    >quality as shooting TIFF in the first place.

    Actually, RAW is better quality than TIFF as the process of demosaicing,
    white balancing, colourspace conversion, etc. involved in making a TIFF is
    lossy. By keeping the raw file around, you get to redo these steps at a
    later date using different settings or a better algorithm if you choose.
    Chris Brown, Feb 4, 2004
  17. Jim Waggener

    Neil Brown Guest

    in article , Jim Waggener at
    wrote on 2/3/04 5:02 PM:

    > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond70/
    >
    > facts is facts.

    I thought the missing features to be huge for me.... eyepoint , ASA boost
    and the add on batterypack/grip are big reasons I bought.. esp the grip and
    asa

    Neil
    Neil Brown, Feb 4, 2004
  18. Jim Waggener

    Linda_N Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > I'd rather wait for a RAW render at home than have my camera tied up in
    > the field with long TIFF writes.

    Most would. Tiff makes no sense on/in camera when Tiff is easily achieved
    later as you mentioned in an earlier post.

    Linda.
    Linda_N, Feb 4, 2004
  19. > > I'd rather wait for a RAW render at home than have my camera tied up in
    > > the field with long TIFF writes.

    > Most would. Tiff makes no sense on/in camera when Tiff is easily achieved
    > later as you mentioned in an earlier post.

    There might be occasions when you want the best quality and can't get to
    your own PC, so the proprietary RAW formats are no good to you. I know TIFF
    is rather slow and takes too much space but it has its uses in situations.
    Darren Sawyer, Feb 4, 2004
  20. In article <>,
    Bill Hilton <> wrote:
    >>Jim Waggener posts
    >>
    >>facts is facts.

    >But all the facts aren't in yet, wait until PMA ... what happens if the 300D
    >drops in price to $499 and the 10D is replaced with the 10D Mark II with the
    >8.2 Mpix sensor for $999 - $1,199, as rumored?

    "As rumored"? That was rumored by someone who was trolling. It's
    shockingly unlikely.

    --
    Mike Kozlowski
    http://www.klio.org/mlk/