Looking to learn C++

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by bob abrams, Jul 30, 2007.

  1. bob abrams

    bob abrams Guest

    Hi
    I am looking for some who have learned to use C++ and have became pretty
    familiar with it. I prefer to not go to a formal training class even
    though it probably is the best way--I just cannot afford the time.

    An online cours or a self driven tutorial would be my current preferences.

    I have a cobol background and am looking to finally make a move
    forward--as I am told anyway.

    I will not be using the knowledge commercially but for my personal use.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Bob

    bob abrams, Jul 30, 2007

  2. bob abrams

    Guest

    bob abrams <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >I am looking for some who have learned to use C++ and have became pretty
    >familiar with it. I prefer to not go to a formal training class even
    >though it probably is the best way--I just cannot afford the time.
    >
    >An online cours or a self driven tutorial would be my current preferences.
    >
    >I have a cobol background and am looking to finally make a move
    >forward--as I am told anyway.
    >
    >I will not be using the knowledge commercially but for my personal use.
    >
    >Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Lot of July 29 post are showing up...

    But I found the best is to get a book from the Library. Best would be
    to purchase a book so you can use if for reference.
    --

    http://blizzmax.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/bushbj.jpg

    , Aug 1, 2007

  3. bob abrams

    Another Guest

    wrote:
    > bob abrams <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> I am looking for some who have learned to use C++ and have became pretty
    >> familiar with it. I prefer to not go to a formal training class even
    >> though it probably is the best way--I just cannot afford the time.
    >>
    >> An online cours or a self driven tutorial would be my current preferences.
    >>
    >> I have a cobol background and am looking to finally make a move
    >> forward--as I am told anyway.

    The best thing you can do with your cobol background before learning c++
    is to forget cobol.

    >> I will not be using the knowledge commercially but for my personal use.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >>

    > Lot of July 29 post are showing up...
    >
    > But I found the best is to get a book from the Library. Best would be
    > to purchase a book so you can use if for reference.

    Codegear (formerly Borland) has a free command line C++ compiler
    available for download here.

    http://www.codegear.com/downloads/free/cppbuilder

    Select the compiler version 5.5 to download.

    A command line compiler will allow you to learn c++ without the
    distractions of GUI interface. Any of the introductory C++ books from
    Sams Publishing are pretty descent. You can probably find a used one on
    Amazon for cheap.

    Another, Aug 1, 2007
  4. wrote:
    > bob abrams <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi I am looking for some who have learned to use C++ and have became
    >>pretty familiar with it. I prefer to not go to a formal training class
    >>even though it probably is the best way--I just cannot afford the
    >>time.
    >>
    >>An online cours or a self driven tutorial would be my current
    >>preferences.
    >>
    >>I have a cobol background and am looking to finally make a move
    >>forward--as I am told anyway.
    >>
    >>I will not be using the knowledge commercially but for my personal
    >>use.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >>

    > Lot of July 29 post are showing up...
    >
    > But I found the best is to get a book from the Library. Best would be
    > to purchase a book so you can use if for reference.

    I personally love the O'Reilly books. Got a whole shelf of 'em. I
    presume they have some on C++. Best place to look first is
    http://overstock.com -- good prices. But hardly the whole O'Reilly
    inventory <g>, so if they don't have anything look elsewhere --
    including their own store. http://oreilly.com/

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 1, 2007
  5. bob abrams

    Tester Guest

    Here's a buncha free PDF's intended to teach C++, courtesy of us U.S.
    taxpayers. (Nat'l Institute of Standards and Technology IIRC)

    http://math.nist.gov/~RPozo/c class/

    Hasn't MIT.EDU made much of its course material available for free
    online?

    Of course, Ziff Davis (ZD NET) has some (not free) online courses as
    do many institutions such as U.S. community colleges.

    Tester, Aug 1, 2007
  6. bob abrams

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "bob abrams" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I am looking for some who have learned to use C++ and have became pretty
    > familiar with it. I prefer to not go to a formal training class even
    > though it probably is the best way--I just cannot afford the time.
    >
    > An online cours or a self driven tutorial would be my current preferences.
    >
    > I have a cobol background and am looking to finally make a move
    > forward--as I am told anyway.

    LOL, you need to not be going to C++ from COBOL. It will have you running
    with your tail between you legs for sure.

    > I will not be using the knowledge commercially but for my personal use.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Maybe, you should start here at the link below, like start with VB or C#.NET
    first, which you can download the VS 2005 Express Editions for free. There
    is also a C++ 2005 Express Edition as well. You can also get SQL Server 2005
    Express Edition and it's free too.

    Then you can have at it anyway you want and anyway but loose too.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/beginner/learningpath/

    Mr. Arnold, Aug 1, 2007
  7. Mr. Arnold wrote:

    > "bob abrams" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> I am looking for some who have learned to use C++ and have became pretty
    >> familiar with it. I prefer to not go to a formal training class even
    >> though it probably is the best way--I just cannot afford the time.
    >>
    >> An online cours or a self driven tutorial would be my current preferences.
    >>
    >> I have a cobol background and am looking to finally make a move
    >> forward--as I am told anyway.

    > LOL, you need to not be going to C++ from COBOL. It will have you running
    > with your tail between you legs for sure.

    Back in the Middle Ages when I was in college, we engineers started out
    with Fortran while our friends who were business majors took COBOL. Is
    COBOL still just what you use if, like, you're an insurance company or
    something?

    I never figured out the "business major" thing. Buy low, sell high; now
    go get a job. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 2, 2007
  8. bob abrams

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Mr. Arnold wrote:
    >>
    >> "bob abrams" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>> I am looking for some who have learned to use C++ and have became pretty
    >>> familiar with it. I prefer to not go to a formal training class even
    >>> though it probably is the best way--I just cannot afford the time.
    >>>
    >>> An online cours or a self driven tutorial would be my current
    >>> preferences.
    >>>
    >>> I have a cobol background and am looking to finally make a move
    >>> forward--as I am told anyway.

    >> LOL, you need to not be going to C++ from COBOL. It will have you running
    >> with your tail between you legs for sure.

    > Back in the Middle Ages when I was in college, we engineers started out
    > with Fortran while our friends who were business majors took COBOL. Is
    > COBOL still just what you use if, like, you're an insurance company or
    > something?

    Most companies that have the big iron horse mainframes those type of
    companies that must push major amounts of transitions are still using COBOL.

    COBOL is still being used as a major language in administration solutions
    like Micro Focus, Realia and Fujitsu COBOL for .Net, even on the client
    servers.

    There are million and millions of lines written in COBOL.

    You know the old saying. If it's not broke, then you don't fix it.

    Mr. Arnold, Aug 2, 2007
  9. bob abrams

    Plato Guest

    bob abrams wrote:

    > I am looking for some who have learned to use C++ and have became pretty
    > familiar with it. I prefer to not go to a formal training class even
    > though it probably is the best way--I just cannot afford the time.

    Buy a book on it and start practicing. Remember, programming is an art
    form that fights back :)

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 2, 2007
  10. bob abrams

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 12:15:18 -0700, wrote:

    Library? YEAH! If you want to put your toe in the water, grab
    yourself a copy of limewire and ' borrow' this book.

    You can program in C++ by "Francis Glassborow" - John Wiley

    Certainly not a beginners book, but it is aimed at people like you.

    While you're about it, nick this one as well

    Beginning Visual C++ by "Ivor Hunt" - Wrox

    Ivor Hunt's book is not as gereral as Francis Glassborow, but to
    do anything complicated in C++ you need an IDE. An IDE
    that will write a lot of the code for you.

    Microsoft is offering a lite version of their visual studio for free.
    So you don't have to go to the 'library' for that.

    Nomen Nescio, Aug 2, 2007
  11. bob abrams

    why? Guest

    On 1 Aug 2007 21:12:02 -0500, Plato wrote:

    >bob abrams wrote:
    >>
    >> I am looking for some who have learned to use C++ and have became pretty
    >> familiar with it. I prefer to not go to a formal training class even
    >> though it probably is the best way--I just cannot afford the time.

    >Buy a book on it and start practicing. Remember, programming is an art
    >form that fights back :)

    LOL, like that :)

    Me

    why?, Aug 2, 2007
  12. bob abrams

    Joe Guest

    Thanks to all.
    I have 'ordered' the You can program in C++ by "Francis Glassborow" -
    John Wiley and the Beginning Visual C++ by "Ivor Hunt" - Wrox from
    the local library. The Glassborow one is actually on tape/dvd which
    may make the long trips boring in a different way.
    I appreciate all the time you each took to reply.
    Bob

    Joe, Aug 7, 2007