    Certified. I am studying for my A+. I would like to get MCDST also. Is it
    better to take one test first over the other?

    More questions will probably follow.
    mikex, Aug 21, 2007

  2. mikex

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Hi Mike,

    Though there is no suggested order to taking the exams, most people seem to
    do well taking the 271 before 272.

    Good luck!

    Mitch Garvis, MCT
    MCSA, MCITP, MCDST, MCTS
    Visit my blog at http://blog.mitchgarvis.com
    ---

    Montreal MCT, Aug 21, 2007

  3. mikex

    Montreal MCT Guest

    While we are on the subject you should concentrate on network issues,
    because a lot of the MCDST does not involve home users, rather
    domain-connected users.

    Montreal MCT, Aug 21, 2007
  4. mikex

    mikex Guest

    My new job is at a small IT firm. I will be looking into more network issues
    now. My last job was at a small ISP. Have some network knowledge from there
    but that was linux based software.

    So 271 and 272 are the MCDST test, 270 is no part of that cert?

    mikex, Aug 21, 2007
  5. mikex

    Montreal MCT Guest

    No, for the MCDST you do not need 70-270.

    Montreal MCT, Aug 21, 2007
  6. "mikex" <> wrote in message

    > My new job is at a small IT firm. I will be looking into more network issues
    > now. My last job was at a small ISP. Have some network knowledge from there
    > but that was linux based software.
    >

    > So 271 and 272 are the MCDST test, 270 is no part of that cert?
    >

    > "Montreal MCT" wrote:
    >
    > > While we are on the subject you should concentrate on network issues,
    > > because a lot of the MCDST does not involve home users, rather
    > > domain-connected users.

    > > --
    > > Mitch Garvis, MCT
    > > MCSA, MCITP, MCDST, MCTS
    > > Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Customer Experience
    > > Visit my blog at http://blog.mitchgarvis.com
    > > ---
    > > "mikex" <> wrote in message
    > > >I have been working on computers for about 3 years. I have fielded hundreds
    > > > of calls from home users. I now have a job that requires I be Microsoft
    > > > Certified. I am studying for my A+. I would like to get MCDST also. Is it
    > > > better to take one test first over the other?
    > > >
    > > > More questions will probably follow.

    Mike, if you are going to be "the man" that everyone is going to be
    depending on in your firm, here is what I recommend:

    1. Since you are already studying for your A+, finish it. It will prove
    helpful when you have to diagnosis hardware and software issues.
    2. I also recommend studying the concepts of networking and look into
    the Network+ exam in the future to validate your increased experience.
    3. From there, the choice is yours. Is your firm currently on Windows XP
    Professional? Windows Vista? Or planning to deploy Vista soon? If so
    then you may want to concentrate your efforts on learning that
    technology, not pursing the MCDST which deals with Windows XP Pro and
    Office 2003.
    4. If your firm also deploys and uses a Windows based server, the MCSA
    certification can prove invaluable.

    I am saying this with a light heart. Meaning that, as always,
    certifications are design to validate individuals with experience in the
    technology. However, I hope this helps you. Good luck.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST, A+, Network+
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Aug 21, 2007