    Any ideas/software would be appreciated.

    Thanks in Advance.
    Joe

    Joe, Jul 19, 2007

  2. Joe

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:53:04 -0400, Joe wrote:

    > Hi
    > I have a customer who is looking for a solution to her early teen son
    > going to sites he shouldn't be and, besides the content, he usually
    > walks away with at least some spy ware/mal ware...and she needs to pay
    > to either get it removed or to have an FDisk, etc.
    >
    > I had posted earlier looking for software that would allow the parents
    > to enter in the web sites he could go to and then have no others
    > allowed. Not much in workable solutions came back for us.
    >
    > Any ideas/software would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance.
    > Joe

    Disable DNS and enter allow sites in the HOSTS file.
    Meat Plow, Jul 19, 2007

  3. Joe wrote:
    > Hi
    > I have a customer who is looking for a solution to her early teen son
    > going to sites he shouldn't be and, besides the content, he usually
    > walks away with at least some spy ware/mal ware...and she needs to pay
    > to either get it removed or to have an FDisk, etc.
    >
    > I had posted earlier looking for software that would allow the parents
    > to enter in the web sites he could go to and then have no others
    > allowed. Not much in workable solutions came back for us.

    http://www.netnanny.com/ is one possibility. But most experienced people
    have learned that supervision is the main way to prevent kids from going
    to adult sites. Then again, if the kid is pretty smart, it's a losing
    battle, they're going to look at titties no matter what you do.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 19, 2007
  4. Joe

    Joe Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:57:19 -0400, Meat Plow <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:53:04 -0400, Joe wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> I have a customer who is looking for a solution to her early teen son
    >> going to sites he shouldn't be and, besides the content, he usually
    >> walks away with at least some spy ware/mal ware...and she needs to pay
    >> to either get it removed or to have an FDisk, etc.
    >>
    >> I had posted earlier looking for software that would allow the parents
    >> to enter in the web sites he could go to and then have no others
    >> allowed. Not much in workable solutions came back for us.
    >>
    >> Any ideas/software would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks in Advance.
    >> Joe

    >Disable DNS and enter allow sites in the HOSTS file.

    Thanks.
    That would work well.
    It would also be a global thing. Parents need to make a choice--they
    could buy themselves their own machine and leave the boy to his own.
    I appreciate the input.
    Joe

    Joe, Jul 19, 2007
  5. Joe

    Joe Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:57:55 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Joe wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> I have a customer who is looking for a solution to her early teen son
    >> going to sites he shouldn't be and, besides the content, he usually
    >> walks away with at least some spy ware/mal ware...and she needs to pay
    >> to either get it removed or to have an FDisk, etc.
    >>
    >> I had posted earlier looking for software that would allow the parents
    >> to enter in the web sites he could go to and then have no others
    >> allowed. Not much in workable solutions came back for us.

    >http://www.netnanny.com/ is one possibility. But most experienced people
    >have learned that supervision is the main way to prevent kids from going
    >to adult sites. Then again, if the kid is pretty smart, it's a losing
    >battle, they're going to look at titties no matter what you do.

    Thanks for the post.
    I agree, but, in reality, it is not the T&A he is into--I believe it
    is other 'Adult' sites-gambling, 'play' sites, etc.
    Kid has behavorial issues and the PC is 'his' time to enjoy. Kind of
    a tough situation.
    Thanks Again.
    Joe

    Joe, Jul 19, 2007
  6. Joe

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:59:27 -0400, Joe wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:57:19 -0400, Meat Plow <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:53:04 -0400, Joe wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>> I have a customer who is looking for a solution to her early teen son
    >>> going to sites he shouldn't be and, besides the content, he usually
    >>> walks away with at least some spy ware/mal ware...and she needs to pay
    >>> to either get it removed or to have an FDisk, etc.
    >>>
    >>> I had posted earlier looking for software that would allow the parents
    >>> to enter in the web sites he could go to and then have no others
    >>> allowed. Not much in workable solutions came back for us.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas/software would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in Advance.
    >>> Joe

    >>Disable DNS and enter allow sites in the HOSTS file.

    > Thanks.
    > That would work well.
    > It would also be a global thing. Parents need to make a choice--they
    > could buy themselves their own machine and leave the boy to his own.
    > I appreciate the input.

    Well then grab a chair and sit behind the boy in view of the monitor while
    he surfs the web.
    Meat Plow, Jul 19, 2007
  7. Joe

    PeeCee Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:57:55 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >
    >>Joe wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>> I have a customer who is looking for a solution to her early teen son
    >>> going to sites he shouldn't be and, besides the content, he usually
    >>> walks away with at least some spy ware/mal ware...and she needs to pay
    >>> to either get it removed or to have an FDisk, etc.
    >>>
    >>> I had posted earlier looking for software that would allow the parents
    >>> to enter in the web sites he could go to and then have no others
    >>> allowed. Not much in workable solutions came back for us.

    >>http://www.netnanny.com/ is one possibility. But most experienced people
    >>have learned that supervision is the main way to prevent kids from going
    >>to adult sites. Then again, if the kid is pretty smart, it's a losing
    >>battle, they're going to look at titties no matter what you do.

    > Thanks for the post.
    > I agree, but, in reality, it is not the T&A he is into--I believe it
    > is other 'Adult' sites-gambling, 'play' sites, etc.
    > Kid has behavorial issues and the PC is 'his' time to enjoy. Kind of
    > a tough situation.
    > Thanks Again.
    > Joe

    All the more reason to open his activities to view.

    Not necessarily by sitting beside him while he surfs, but by placing the PC
    in (for example) the family room of the house.
    That way he stands a better chance of learning that he can not live in
    isolation and will learn better to accede to societies norms.

    After all when do we have the most problems with politicians, criminals,
    partners, teenagers, etc... yep when they can hide things away.

    Other than that giving him his own 'restricted' profile in Windows will help
    to limit the spyware (user not an administrator)
    Hostman is also a way of restricting his activities
    (http://www.abelhadigital.com/)

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jul 19, 2007
  8. > I have a customer who is looking for a solution to her early teen son
    > going to sites he shouldn't be and, besides the content, he usually
    > walks away with at least some spy ware/mal ware...and she needs to pay
    > to either get it removed or to have an FDisk, etc.

    The "parent" should buy a secure operating system, such as Linux, in
    order to prevent normal users from installing bad software. Although
    this should prevent stupidity from crashing the operating system, the
    obvious thing that is missing is something called "parenting".
    Alexander Rogge, Jul 19, 2007
  9. Joe

    Plato Guest

    Joe wrote:

    > I have a customer who is looking for a solution to her early teen son
    > going to sites he shouldn't be and, besides the content, he usually
    > walks away with at least some spy ware/mal ware...and she needs to pay
    > to either get it removed or to have an FDisk, etc.

    My son used to do that. When he screwed up his PC I'd make him wait a
    week or so to fix it. That solved that problem. Now he doesn't visit
    sites he shouldn't be visiting....

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jul 19, 2007
  10. Joe

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Joe
    <> wrote:

    > Hi
    > I have a customer who is looking for a solution to her early teen son
    > going to sites he shouldn't be and, besides the content, he usually
    > walks away with at least some spy ware/mal ware...and she needs to pay
    > to either get it removed or to have an FDisk, etc.
    >
    > I had posted earlier looking for software that would allow the parents
    > to enter in the web sites he could go to and then have no others
    > allowed. Not much in workable solutions came back for us.
    >
    > Any ideas/software would be appreciated.

    I know, you assume everyone is using the same OS.
    You really do have to tell us what you are using.

    Look for "parental control" software. There are two or three that have
    very good reputations. Be careful that parent groups approve of it;
    there are always a lot of protection tools for Windows that are
    actually trojan horses giving someone else control over your computer.

    However, those tools are mainly designed for hot-button issues
    (language, violence, pornography). They aren't able to protect your
    system from computer threats; it is presumed you already have, at the
    very very least, a firewall, anti-virus, and anti-spyware tools
    running.

    Or you can get a Mac for him; parental control and immunity are both
    built in. Never worry about any of that.
    Mitch, Jul 19, 2007
  11. Joe

    Joe Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:31:42 +1200, "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    >"Joe" <> wrote in message

    >>>http://www.netnanny.com/ is one possibility. But most experienced people
    >>>have learned that supervision is the main way to prevent kids from going
    >>>to adult sites. Then again, if the kid is pretty smart, it's a losing
    >>>battle, they're going to look at titties no matter what you do.

    >> Thanks for the post.
    >> I agree, but, in reality, it is not the T&A he is into--I believe it
    >> is other 'Adult' sites-gambling, 'play' sites, etc.
    >> Kid has behavorial issues and the PC is 'his' time to enjoy. Kind of
    >> a tough situation.
    >> Thanks Again.
    >> Joe
    >>
    >> --

    >All the more reason to open his activities to view.
    >
    >Not necessarily by sitting beside him while he surfs, but by placing the PC
    >in (for example) the family room of the house.
    >That way he stands a better chance of learning that he can not live in
    >isolation and will learn better to accede to societies norms.
    >
    >After all when do we have the most problems with politicians, criminals,
    >partners, teenagers, etc... yep when they can hide things away.
    >
    >Other than that giving him his own 'restricted' profile in Windows will help
    >to limit the spyware (user not an administrator)
    >Hostman is also a way of restricting his activities
    >(http://www.abelhadigital.com/)
    >
    >Best
    >Paul.

    The parenting is not the real issue here.....the issue is the
    physical/mental state and the enjoyment the PC provides at the few
    sites he likes. His 'gullibility', if you will, is that he will click
    on most anything and that gets the spy ware/junk ware, etc and the
    computer picks up all kinds of 'stuff' that the common spy ware pieces
    like Defender, Spybot, House Call, etc., just do not prevent or remove
    reliably. We are open to better products.

    The parents are tied to the child--and vice-versa--all day and night
    and, while that is good, it is also necessary in this case. This is
    his enjoyment.

    I am really appreciative of the posts.
    Thanks
    Joe

    Joe, Jul 19, 2007
  12. Joe wrote:

    > The parenting is not the real issue here.....the issue is the
    > physical/mental state and the enjoyment the PC provides at the few
    > sites he likes. His 'gullibility', if you will, is that he will click
    > on most anything and that gets the spy ware/junk ware, etc and the
    > computer picks up all kinds of 'stuff' that the common spy ware pieces
    > like Defender, Spybot, House Call, etc., just do not prevent or remove
    > reliably. We are open to better products.
    >
    > The parents are tied to the child--and vice-versa--all day and night
    > and, while that is good, it is also necessary in this case. This is
    > his enjoyment.

    Perfect candidate for a Linux box with the kid having a limited user
    profile.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 19, 2007