    electronics,any idea where and which machine I will purchase for this
    purpose?
    Thanks
    Thaqalain, Aug 6, 2005

  2. Thaqalain

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Thaqalain" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I get to know from past 6 months of looking home electronics,that most
    > of them failed b/c of solder fault.
    > I never done soldering by hand,although done SMT Inspection jobs,now I
    > know importance of soldering quality in electronics.
    > I need to start hand soldering to get repair all my household
    > electronics,any idea where and which machine I will purchase for this
    > purpose?
    > Thanks

    I prefer Weller soldering stations. Search Google.
    http://www.elexp.com/sdr_wlc1.htm

    If you haven't had experience with soldering, don't start on anything
    important. Get scraps and work on those. A junker piece of equipment, take
    it apart, put it back together (don't expect it to work <g>).
    Toolman Tim, Aug 6, 2005

  3. Thaqalain

    old jon Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "Thaqalain" <> wrote in message
    >>I get to know from past 6 months of looking home electronics,that most
    >> of them failed b/c of solder fault.
    >> I never done soldering by hand,although done SMT Inspection jobs,now I
    >> know importance of soldering quality in electronics.
    >> I need to start hand soldering to get repair all my household
    >> electronics,any idea where and which machine I will purchase for this
    >> purpose?
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > I prefer Weller soldering stations. Search Google.
    > http://www.elexp.com/sdr_wlc1.htm
    >
    > If you haven't had experience with soldering, don't start on anything
    > important. Get scraps and work on those. A junker piece of equipment, take
    > it apart, put it back together (don't expect it to work <g>).

    You never know Tim, he might just fix that dry joint <g>.
    old jon, Aug 6, 2005
  4. Thaqalain

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "old jon" <> wrote in message

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Thaqalain" <> wrote in message
    >>>I get to know from past 6 months of looking home electronics,that most
    >>> of them failed b/c of solder fault.
    >>> I never done soldering by hand,although done SMT Inspection jobs,now I
    >>> know importance of soldering quality in electronics.
    >>> I need to start hand soldering to get repair all my household
    >>> electronics,any idea where and which machine I will purchase for this
    >>> purpose?
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> I prefer Weller soldering stations. Search Google.
    >> http://www.elexp.com/sdr_wlc1.htm
    >>
    >> If you haven't had experience with soldering, don't start on anything
    >> important. Get scraps and work on those. A junker piece of equipment,
    >> take it apart, put it back together (don't expect it to work <g>).
    >>

    > You never know Tim, he might just fix that dry joint <g>.

    Could happen!
    Toolman Tim, Aug 6, 2005
  5. Thaqalain

    fred2 Guest

    "old jon" <> wrote in message

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Thaqalain" <> wrote in message
    >>>I get to know from past 6 months of looking home electronics,that most
    >>> of them failed b/c of solder fault.
    >>> I never done soldering by hand,although done SMT Inspection jobs,now I
    >>> know importance of soldering quality in electronics.
    >>> I need to start hand soldering to get repair all my household
    >>> electronics,any idea where and which machine I will purchase for this
    >>> purpose?
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> I prefer Weller soldering stations. Search Google.
    >> http://www.elexp.com/sdr_wlc1.htm
    >>
    >> If you haven't had experience with soldering, don't start on anything
    >> important. Get scraps and work on those. A junker piece of equipment,
    >> take it apart, put it back together (don't expect it to work <g>).
    >>

    > You never know Tim, he might just fix that dry joint <g>.

    I've got a tele with a dry joint and for the last 10 years I've only had to
    kick it maybe
    half a dozen times ! And when that fails to fix it, I shall use a blowlamp!

    Fred

    fred2, Aug 6, 2005
  6. Thaqalain

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 12:26:45 -0700, "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    >"Thaqalain" <> wrote in message
    >>I get to know from past 6 months of looking home electronics,that most
    >> of them failed b/c of solder fault.
    >> I never done soldering by hand,although done SMT Inspection jobs,now I
    >> know importance of soldering quality in electronics.
    >> I need to start hand soldering to get repair all my household
    >> electronics,any idea where and which machine I will purchase for this
    >> purpose?
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >I prefer Weller soldering stations. Search Google.
    >http://www.elexp.com/sdr_wlc1.htm
    >
    >If you haven't had experience with soldering, don't start on anything
    >important. Get scraps and work on those. A junker piece of equipment, take
    >it apart, put it back together (don't expect it to work <g>).

    I have a Weller soldering station that I bought over 25 years ago that is still going strong.
    It has temperature controlled replaceable tips of different wattages that make repairs a
    pleasure. I also have some specialty desoldering tips for it that attach to a vaccuum pump.
    The tips are hollow and when the solder melts, you press a foot switch and whoosh, the solder is
    gone. I mean GONE gone. Like the board was never soldered, gone. (It's sucked into a glass jar)
    I can unsolder 40 pin chips and when you turn the board over, the chip falls out! Unfortunately,
    the company that made the tips is also gone and the tips don't last forever because they're
    hollow thinwall. I only have a couple left. :(
    Unk, Aug 7, 2005
  7. Thaqalain

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Unk" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 12:26:45 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Thaqalain" <> wrote in message
    >>>I get to know from past 6 months of looking home electronics,that most
    >>> of them failed b/c of solder fault.
    >>> I never done soldering by hand,although done SMT Inspection jobs,now I
    >>> know importance of soldering quality in electronics.
    >>> I need to start hand soldering to get repair all my household
    >>> electronics,any idea where and which machine I will purchase for this
    >>> purpose?
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >>I prefer Weller soldering stations. Search Google.
    >>http://www.elexp.com/sdr_wlc1.htm
    >>
    >>If you haven't had experience with soldering, don't start on anything
    >>important. Get scraps and work on those. A junker piece of equipment, take
    >>it apart, put it back together (don't expect it to work <g>).
    >>

    > I have a Weller soldering station that I bought over 25 years ago that is
    > still going strong.
    > It has temperature controlled replaceable tips of different wattages that
    > make repairs a
    > pleasure. I also have some specialty desoldering tips for it that attach
    > to a vaccuum pump.
    > The tips are hollow and when the solder melts, you press a foot switch and
    > whoosh, the solder is
    > gone. I mean GONE gone. Like the board was never soldered, gone. (It's
    > sucked into a glass jar)
    > I can unsolder 40 pin chips and when you turn the board over, the chip
    > falls out! Unfortunately,
    > the company that made the tips is also gone and the tips don't last
    > forever because they're
    > hollow thinwall. I only have a couple left. :(

    Yeah - my Weller station is about that old too. Multiple shape, multiple
    temp tips. I have a handheld vaccum pump that I use for desoldering and
    while adequate for larger devices, it really isn't up to the task for ICs. I
    had a friend once who used to salvage components with an electric tabletop
    barbecue cooker. It was hot enough to melt solder, so he'd put the board on
    top, when the solder melted, he'd bang the board on a piece of wood to knock
    the solder off, flip the board over and everything fell out <g> ('course,
    the board was toast!)
    Toolman Tim, Aug 7, 2005
  8. Thaqalain

    Thaqalain Guest

    What about if I use oven heated tip of thinest screw driver to fix
    cracked solder by filling with a piece of copper wire?I mean a quick
    experiment on some dead electronics,did anyone try it earlier?
    Thaqalain, Aug 7, 2005
  9. Thaqalain

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Thaqalain" <> wrote in message
    > What about if I use oven heated tip of thinest screw driver to fix
    > cracked solder by filling with a piece of copper wire?I mean a quick
    > experiment on some dead electronics,did anyone try it earlier?

    Not a chance. It won't make a solid electrical connection, since you'll
    never heat copper enough to melt it. Plus you're likely to break things
    worse mucking about with screwdrivers.

    You can get a cheapo 35 to 40 watt soldering iron and solder at any Radio
    Shack for less than $15. (You don't want hotter than 40 watt if you are
    working on any kind of circuit board, especially if you haven't had a lot of
    experience.)
    Toolman Tim, Aug 7, 2005
  10. "Thaqalain" <> wrote in

    > What about if I use oven heated tip of thinest screw driver to fix
    > cracked solder by filling with a piece of copper wire?I mean a quick
    > experiment on some dead electronics,did anyone try it earlier?

    Do yourself a favor and don't try soldering till you get some training.
    I don't mean to sound rude but from that statement it is easy to see
    you don't know much about soldering and electronic connections.

    Ed

    --
    Freedom is never free....
    Top (retired), Aug 7, 2005
  11. Thaqalain

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Top (retired)" <> wrote in message
    > "Thaqalain" <> wrote in
    >
    >> What about if I use oven heated tip of thinest screw driver to fix
    >> cracked solder by filling with a piece of copper wire?I mean a quick
    >> experiment on some dead electronics,did anyone try it earlier?
    >>

    > Do yourself a favor and don't try soldering till you get some training.
    > I don't mean to sound rude but from that statement it is easy to see
    > you don't know much about soldering and electronic connections.

    Exactly. He's likely to burn the house down...
    Toolman Tim, Aug 7, 2005
  12. Thaqalain

    Thaqalain Guest

    OK,I C