looking for Trouble shooting guide for lockups and freezes

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Matt Ferrari, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. Matt Ferrari

    Matt Ferrari Guest

    Hello,
    If anyone can point me to a site that has detailed instructions
    on finding and curing frequent lock ups I would be gratefull.

    I am looking for one that will show me how to go step by
    step maybe disabling certain drivers etc until I find whats causing
    the lock ups.

    The computer is so bad off I cant even spend ten minutes looking
    at search engine results because I lock up.

    Pentium II 450mz 18gig and 60 gig hd
    Win 98se
    explorer oe 6.0

    front and rear fan operating, no device conflicts, ad aware clean.

    Thanks,
    Matt

    Matt Ferrari, Sep 14, 2003

  2. Matt Ferrari

    °Mike° Guest

    Check your RAM and temperatures - make sure those fans are
    working optimally. Try different (known good) RAM sticks.

    To check for driver problems, you will need to perform a
    clean boot, and use some detective work.

    How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;192926

    If all else fails, remove EVERYTHING, hardware wise, except
    what is absolutely necessary to boot, and use a process of
    elimination - replace one item, reboot... etc.

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 01:01:49 GMT, in
    <16P8b.2196$>
    Matt Ferrari scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 14, 2003

  3. Matt Ferrari

    Todd Howard Guest

    What kind of vid card? Is the fan working on it? Yank the side off of your
    case and see if you still get the lockups...
    TH

    Todd Howard, Sep 14, 2003
  4. Matt Ferrari

    PhilGreg Guest

    > Hello,
    > If anyone can point me to a site that has detailed

    instructions
    > on finding and curing frequent lock ups I would be gratefull.
    >
    > I am looking for one that will show me how to go step by
    > step maybe disabling certain drivers etc until I find whats causing
    > the lock ups.
    >
    > The computer is so bad off I cant even spend ten minutes looking
    > at search engine results because I lock up.
    >

    > Pentium II 450mz 18gig and 60 gig hd
    > Win 98se
    > explorer oe 6.0
    >
    > front and rear fan operating, no device conflicts, ad aware clean.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Matt

    ==> In addition to Mike's response;
    Is the case free of dirt and dust? if not, clean it out w/a can of
    compressed air
    Can you provide more details;
    1) When did it start, after loading software or updating drivers?
    2) Have you Scanned, Defragged, and run SFC lately?
    3) What kind of system maintenance are you using, ie; reg cleaners,
    file cleaners
    4) Are you running AV, AT and a FW?

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )
    --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------

    PhilGreg, Sep 14, 2003
  5. Matt Ferrari

    Thor Guest

    Matt, when exactly does the computer lock up? Only while online? Randomly in
    any application?

    First, check for viruses with a fully updated antivirus program.

    Second, prune out any unnecessary startup programs using MSConfig.

    Third, perform a thorough scandisk, and defragment the drive. You may want
    to boot into safe mode to do this. It helps keep background programs from
    interfering with those processes.

    Fourth, if the lockups only occur while you are browsing online, try
    repairing internet explorer by going to the ADD/REMOVE programs in the
    control panel, select Internet Explorer, and click "add/remove". You will
    get a menu from which you can select the repair option. Alternetively,
    uninstall Internet explorer 6, reboot, and then re-install IE6. I assume you
    have IE6 Sp1? That is the latest build of IE. If you don't have it, I
    suggest getting it.

    Thor, Sep 14, 2003
  6. Matt Ferrari

    Matt Ferrari Guest

    Thanks to all that responded.....I did read all the responses
    but I wanted to wait until I could actually try something before
    I responded to questions or advice.

    Had I actually had a can of compressed air, I could have
    tried it earlier. I didn't think the inside looked bad at all and
    the fans were running so I went on to other things.
    After trying the select start ups/diagnostic startups then
    even doing a ram test, I ponied up the $6 bucks
    and got a can of compressed air from radio shaft.

    I gave the inside a good shot, the components, cards, fans, sockets.

    I have been running for a few hours without a lockup.
    Of course I wont know for a few days if im in the clear
    but being up this long as opposed to locking up after 10 minutes, seems
    to indicate the dust was a problem regardless.

    Thanks again,
    Matt

    Matt Ferrari, Sep 14, 2003
  7. Matt Ferrari

    Thor Guest

    > Thanks to all that responded.....I did read all the responses
    > but I wanted to wait until I could actually try something before
    > I responded to questions or advice.
    >
    > Had I actually had a can of compressed air, I could have
    > tried it earlier. I didn't think the inside looked bad at all and
    > the fans were running so I went on to other things.
    > After trying the select start ups/diagnostic startups then
    > even doing a ram test, I ponied up the $6 bucks
    > and got a can of compressed air from radio shaft.
    >
    > I gave the inside a good shot, the components, cards, fans, sockets.
    >
    > I have been running for a few hours without a lockup.
    > Of course I wont know for a few days if im in the clear
    > but being up this long as opposed to locking up after 10 minutes, seems
    > to indicate the dust was a problem regardless.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Matt

    Well hopefully that was it then. Lots of dust can prevent the heatsinks from
    working efficiently, and can cause the fans to slow down.

    Thor, Sep 14, 2003
  8. Matt Ferrari

    PhilGreg Guest

    > Thanks to all that responded.....I did read all the responses
    > but I wanted to wait until I could actually try something before
    > I responded to questions or advice.
    >
    > Had I actually had a can of compressed air, I could have
    > tried it earlier. I didn't think the inside looked bad at all and
    > the fans were running so I went on to other things.
    > After trying the select start ups/diagnostic startups then
    > even doing a ram test, I ponied up the $6 bucks
    > and got a can of compressed air from radio shaft.
    >
    > I gave the inside a good shot, the components, cards, fans,

    sockets.

    > I have been running for a few hours without a lockup.
    > Of course I wont know for a few days if im in the clear
    > but being up this long as opposed to locking up after 10 minutes,

    seems
    > to indicate the dust was a problem regardless.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Matt

    ==> YW :cool: BTW, next time you get freezes try running w/out the cover.
    That's confirm that it is indeed dust clogged.

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )

    PhilGreg, Sep 18, 2003
  9. Matt Ferrari

    Thor Guest

    > ==> YW :cool: BTW, next time you get freezes try running w/out the cover.
    > That's confirm that it is indeed dust clogged.

    That's no guarantee. If the heatsinks are so clogged full of dust that they
    aren't doing any good, leaving the case cover off won't help. Unless you
    meant leaving it off for visual inspection.

    Thor, Sep 18, 2003