Looking for `toycam' for everyday use

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Hi Guys,

    Here's the deal- I already have a 5MP digicam, and a standard 35mm,
    but I'm
    looking for a camera (<$200, else I'll wait) I can take with me each
    day if
    the need arises for a photo. I've had an old QuickCam for a while now,
    so I
    don't expect anything remarkable (reasonably clear 640x480 or even
    320x240
    is fine). I couldn't give three hoots about the software that comes
    with
    it-- I typically append the disks to my list of coffee mats (although
    Linux
    `support' would make me happy)-- but removable battery & sd/mmc/xd
    card
    would be useful for replacing when either runs out `in the field'.
    Whether or not it has a flash doesn't concern me at all- flash=shorter
    battery life.

    Thanks for your time,
    /Tony

    Tony, Jul 3, 2004

  2. Tony

    EF in FLA Guest

    EF in FLA, Jul 3, 2004

  3. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Thanks for the reply,

    Sorry, forgot one minor detail- I'm Australian, so it'd be < ~US$150.
    I contemplated a second-hand digicam, and it may be an option if my
    others run out, but I'd prefer a `<b>small</b>' camera.
    I guess I should've made this clearer- by `portable camera', I mean
    one that I can take with me (on person, such as a jacket pocket), with
    the load being negligible. I have a 5MP digicam, and it works
    reasonably well, but it's of `typical' camera size and weight.
    I guess you could say I'm a gadgeteer/`boy scout'- I carry too much
    stuff with me through the day, so anything I add has to be small...

    I appreciate the reply ``EF in FLA''
    /Tony

    Tony, Jul 3, 2004
  4. Tony

    Sapper Guest

    I am in the same situation as you. I think I have a solution. I just saw a
    very mini camera at Best Buy (In Australia I bet you can order it on line)
    It comes on a lanyard to go around your neck and is the size of a Jumpdrive.
    It actually uploads the pictures and recharges it's battery like a Jumpdrive
    too, ie: through the USB port. A big plus for me is that it is in a
    magnesium case thus nearly* indestructable. One of the big points for me!
    Sorry I don't remember the name. It was $69 USD. Standard VGA size pics.

    Sapper, Jul 4, 2004