    Has anyone ever upgraded NT Workstation to XP Pro? Can you? Are all of
    the shares, drives etc preserved in tact? Any issues from this?
    Looking for the voice of experience here ....
    Wiz, Jun 10, 2004

  2. Wiz

    c Guest

    "Wiz" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Has anyone ever upgraded NT Workstation to XP Pro? Can you? Are all of
    > the shares, drives etc preserved in tact? Any issues from this?
    > Looking for the voice of experience here ....

    I have only done one system, and it does work, but you need to have Service
    Pack 6 installed on NT before you do the upgrade. Also, make sure that all
    of your devices are XP compatible and have drivers. Also, this will NOT work
    with XP home. You have to upgrade to XP Professional.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/matrix.asp

    You'll also need more RAM to run XP efficiently, especially compared to XP.
    Depending on what you use the PC for, I would use a minimum of 256MB RAM.
    You can use 128MB, but graphics and such will not be speedy.

    Chris
    c, Jun 11, 2004

  3. Wiz

    Wiz Guest

    It's a file server and I need USB (amoung other things) and it's a
    pretty complicated setup of permissions, shares partitions etc. which is
    why I want to upgrade as opposed to clean install. BTW it is sp6a.
    Thanx for the input

    Wiz, Jun 11, 2004