    Mike Eisenstadt
    Austin, Texas

    , May 14, 2009

  2. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    Subject: looking for the right Usenet group which covers video capture
    cards

    > Specifically I am trying to find a driver for an Intel
    > video capture card

    What is the name and modelno of the card? The newsgroup isn't going to
    know which card you have.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 15, 2009

  3. Tony Guest

    http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=77359
    Download this file by viewing a series of ads

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    proper manners

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, May 15, 2009
  4. thanatoid Guest

    "" <> wrote in
    oups.com:

    > Hi all!
    >
    > I am looking for the right Usenet group which covers analog
    > video capture cards. Specifically I am trying to find a
    > driver for an Intel video capture card which will work
    > under WinXP. Intel discontinued updating drivers for it at
    > Win98 after discontinuing the card. I was once able somehow
    > to enable the card in WinXP but after having to reinstall
    > OS I was unable to replicate this feat. It involved a
    > Brooktree Bt848 driver as I remember.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > Mike Eisenstadt
    > Austin, Texas

    Google for the exact manuf. name and model no. of the card and
    optionally the term "XP driver" if you want XP /ONLY/.

    You'll be surprised at what you can find. I found XP drivers for
    a rare scanner built in 1998 if not 1997.

    It /will/ take some work, of course. And /no one/ in /any/ group
    is going to post the driver for you. Actually, I may be dumb
    enough to go to the trouble but like everyone else that read
    your post, I have no details of your hardware.

    Just for the hell of it, a wild stab in the dark, here's this:
    http://downloads.zdnet.com/abstract.aspx?docid=515827

    --
    Lots of theoretical butchers are alleged and other bloody eyes
    are suitable, but will Pam secure that?

    thanatoid, May 15, 2009
  5. Re: looking for the right Usenet group which covers video capturecards

    The card is an Intel ISVR III. My basic question was which Usenet
    group addresses issues of video capture. There were discussions
    somewhere on the Internet in the past regarding running this card
    under WinXP but I have been unable to find them despite much Googling.

    Thanks in advance for the name of the Usenet group or Web based forum
    that might be of help.

    Mike Eisenstadt
    Austin Texas

    Mike Eisenstadt, May 15, 2009
  6. Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Eisenstadt wrote:
    > The card is an Intel ISVR III. My basic question was which Usenet
    > group addresses issues of video capture. There were discussions
    > somewhere on the Internet in the past regarding running this card
    > under WinXP but I have been unable to find them despite much Googling.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the name of the Usenet group or Web based forum
    > that might be of help.

    In 2007 Jul you had this 5 msg conversation in rec.video.desktop about the
    Intel Smart Video Recorder III and were advised about the Brooktree BT848
    chipset, but the links provided don't go (directly) to anyXP drivers for
    the ISVR. Intel's support pages don't have the XP drivers. The snipr
    link below is to the GG display of the thread.

    http://snipr.com/i2nrg
    From: Mike Eisenstadt
    Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
    Subject: desparately seeking WinXP driver for Instel SMR III video capture
    card
    Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 17:39:34 -0000

    Since you participate in usenet, you should get a newsreader and find a
    free or nearly free newsserver. GG is a good tool for searching, but
    there are myriad reasons that GG's interface should not be used for
    reading and posting to usenet.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 15, 2009
  7. Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Mike Eisenstadt wrote:
    >> The card is an Intel ISVR III.

    > In 2007 Jul you had this 5 msg conversation in rec.video.desktop about
    > the Intel Smart Video Recorder III and were advised about the Brooktree
    > BT848 chipset,

    Here's^1 a discussion of someone with the ISVR and XP seeking drivers who
    encountered the Brooktree BT848 chipset information and began seeking that
    type of driver. Eventually he was successful finding a Conexant driver
    for the chipset which worked satisfactorily, but he didn't provide a link
    to that driver.

    ^1 http://snipurl.com/i2srw

    The conexant website sez that they never made vid capture and advised
    seeking drivers at the mfr of the device, which brings you back to the
    intel no support only old w9x drivers.

    But, the tweaking and work on the Brooktree BT8x8 chipsets is very
    extensive and there is much information to be gained at such sites as
    this^2:

    ^2 http://www.iulabs.com/drv/index.shtml weaked bt878 WDM drivers >>
    Overview -- drivers are based on source code of Conexant's reference WDM
    driver

    .... but that site's compatibilty list doesn't mention Intel.

    However, a similar site^3 has even more and similar information and an
    even more extensive compatiblity list

    ^3 http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/ The current driver is a Video Capture
    driver for Bt848, Bt849, Bt878 and Bt879 based video capture boards. It
    tries to take the most of the hardware, using all the features the chipset
    has to offer. It is also implemented as a WDM driver, so the same driver
    works under Win2000, Win98SE, WinXP and WinMe without modifications.

    The supported cards section of that website is extensive and lists Intel

    Conclusion: I would expect the driver installer found in the zipfile
    btwdmdrvinstaller5.3.8.zip file at numerous sites including the above to
    work for your ISVR III

    If it works as expected, then you should support Eduardo José Tagle's site
    and development at this^4 link

    ^4 http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/donations.html Contribute to the Cause

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 15, 2009
  8. Re: looking for the right Usenet group which covers video capturecards

    Thanks Mike for your effort to help me solve the problem without
    the usual snarky remarks about how stupid the poster is.

    I tried all the possibilities you suggested but to no avail.

    I do have some workarounds though. I can use the digital Firewire
    output of the 3-CCD prosumer camcorder but its color accuracy is
    somewhat inferior to its S-video output. I have a disconnected HD
    with Win98SE installed in the computer but it requires that I
    temporarily
    replace the pricey GPU which does not have a Win98 driver and
    find an older GPU on Ebay. As the GPU has already been repaired
    under warranty, I do not want to remove it. I only need to fire up
    the camcorder 2x a year to update an archive of art students'
    paintings so I really dont want an extra computer in our tiny
    apartment.

    There is a way to get the Intel ISVR III card to work under
    WinXP because I once implemented it.Unfortunately that HD died
    and I could never replicate the setup. Now that it is the time to
    fire up the camcorder, I figured I should make another attempt
    in this regard.

    Mike Eisenstadt
    Austin Texas

    Mike Eisenstadt, May 16, 2009
  9. Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Eisenstadt wrote:
    > Thanks Mike for your effort to help me solve the problem without
    > the usual snarky remarks about how stupid the poster is.
    >
    > I tried all the possibilities you suggested but to no avail.

    It is very important that you read all of the guidelines which Tagle
    provides at his site. I'll mention a few things from the installation
    page.

    <ejt> Before running the installer, you must have installed the old
    drivers of your card, or have listed the Video Capture card in Device
    Manager under Other Devices -- You MUST NOT uninstall any driver to
    install this one.-- You should know that improper configuration settings
    will make the driver partially functional. Probably TV tuner and TV audio
    won´t work as expected (if they work at all). </ejt>

    The ISVR definitely has the Brooktree BT848 chipset; you can tell that
    from information which Intel provided in their own support docs. In the
    beginning there was brooktree which became rockwell which became conexant,
    which explains the confusion over conexant saying they never made any such
    hardware. Someone else (brooktree) made it which got bought (rockwell)
    which got bought (conexant).

    <ejt> the original driver found in the Win98DDK was based (maybe written)
    on the original driver written by Brooktree. So , from now on, I will
    acknowledge as the original authors of the original code (NOT the driver
    you have now) to Brooktree (then Rockwell, now Conexant). </ejt>

    <wiki> Brooktree was bought by Rockwell Semiconductors in 1996, which
    became Conexant in 1998. [1] - Brooktree is well known for their PCI video
    capture chipsets like the Bt848 and Bt878. These were frequently used by
    Hauppauge.</wiki>

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 16, 2009