Looking for support providers for businesses

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by David Mohring, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. SUMMARY:Invitation to New Zealand based open source/free licensed software
    support providers to register.

    As a sideline and to help out some local friends I provided support for
    Linux servers ( CentOS, Fedora or Debian with SAMBA, Dovecot etc ) and
    Desktops ( Win98se, Win2k, XP and Ubuntu ) to a number of local
    businesses.

    I am considering expanding the number of 'clients' to the point where it
    will become a part time job. However I'm not interested in expanding too
    fast or beyond my local area. I also need to provide clients with
    alternate providers should I become incapacitated or should clients wish
    to shop around.

    ( A fellow local freelancer that I had relied upon to provide support
    should I keel over and die has chosen to follow his hart and cross the
    Tasman to marry )

    So I'm trying to assemble a survey/register of New Zealand based reputable
    Linux/BSD support providers, companies and freelance consultants, willing
    and able to provide support, both remote and on site, on a per incident
    basis, possibly with a monthly fee for monitoring.

    The resulting list will be licensed under a Creative Commons License for
    anyone to use and also put on a website, where customers can *email* in
    references and criticisms, with the company/consultants having a right of
    reply before any comments are published.

    I will also set up a private email/group list for support providers to
    swap war stories and techniques, including the combined use of server side
    ssh tunneling, vncserver, Xnest and vncviewer that I use to provide remote
    desktop support.

    If you want to be included on the list of providers then email me at
    David Mohring <>
    ... and I will reply later with an attached copy of the application /
    questionnaire.
    David Mohring, Feb 5, 2006

  2. David Mohring

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:33:19 +1300, David Mohring wrote:

    > SUMMARY:Invitation to New Zealand based open source/free licensed software
    > support providers to register.
    >
    > As a sideline and to help out some local friends I provided support for
    > Linux servers ( CentOS, Fedora or Debian with SAMBA, Dovecot etc ) and
    > Desktops ( Win98se, Win2k, XP and Ubuntu ) to a number of local
    > businesses.

    I take it that local means Auckland?
    Steve, Feb 5, 2006

  3. On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 12:30:23 +1300, Steve wrote:

    > On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:33:19 +1300, David Mohring wrote:
    >
    >> SUMMARY:Invitation to New Zealand based open source/free licensed
    >> software support providers to register.
    >>
    >> As a sideline and to help out some local friends I provided support for
    >> Linux servers ( CentOS, Fedora or Debian with SAMBA, Dovecot etc ) and
    >> Desktops ( Win98se, Win2k, XP and Ubuntu ) to a number of local
    >> businesses.
    >>

    > I take it that local means Auckland?

    I don't expect to be expanding beyond the Papakura and Franklin
    boundaries.
    David Mohring, Feb 5, 2006
  4. David Mohring

    jedmeister Guest

    "David Mohring" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 12:30:23 +1300, Steve wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:33:19 +1300, David Mohring wrote:
    >>
    >>> SUMMARY:Invitation to New Zealand based open source/free licensed
    >>> software support providers to register.
    >>>
    >>> As a sideline and to help out some local friends I provided support for
    >>> Linux servers ( CentOS, Fedora or Debian with SAMBA, Dovecot etc ) and
    >>> Desktops ( Win98se, Win2k, XP and Ubuntu ) to a number of local
    >>> businesses.
    >>>

    >> I take it that local means Auckland?

    > I don't expect to be expanding beyond the Papakura and Franklin
    > boundaries.

    so, auckland is out of your boundary then.

    OK.
    jedmeister, Feb 6, 2006
  5. David Mohring

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 12:33:58 +1300, David Mohring wrote:

    > On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 12:30:23 +1300, Steve wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:33:19 +1300, David Mohring wrote:
    >>
    >>> SUMMARY:Invitation to New Zealand based open source/free licensed
    >>> software support providers to register.
    >>>
    >>> As a sideline and to help out some local friends I provided support for
    >>> Linux servers ( CentOS, Fedora or Debian with SAMBA, Dovecot etc ) and
    >>> Desktops ( Win98se, Win2k, XP and Ubuntu ) to a number of local
    >>> businesses.
    >>>

    >> I take it that local means Auckland?

    > I don't expect to be expanding beyond the Papakura and Franklin
    > boundaries.

    So we FL/OSS support companies in SI aren't really of any use to you then?
    Steve, Feb 6, 2006
  6. David Mohring

    thingy Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 12:33:58 +1300, David Mohring wrote:

    >>>I take it that local means Auckland?

    >>I don't expect to be expanding beyond the Papakura and Franklin
    >>boundaries.

    > So we FL/OSS support companies in SI aren't really of any use to you then?

    I dont see why that needs to be so...we could do a list of Linux service
    companies, even a mailing list of people....across NZ.

    Mailman is pretty easy,,,,Im setting up a 400 lists server now, whats
    one more....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Feb 6, 2006