    the coolermaster I would appreciate any and all info.
    Thank You.
    BOB

    Bob Bob, Mar 7, 2008

  2. Bob Bob

    catchme Guest

    Bob Bob wrote:
    > Hi
    > A customer of mine is complaining that the coolermaster cpu fan I
    > supplied with the machine is outrageously noisy.
    > I replaced the out of the box fan with another coolermaster unit which
    > helped a bit but not enough.
    > If anyone has a product in the $20 range that is somewhat quieter than
    > the coolermaster I would appreciate any and all info.
    > Thank You.
    > BOB

    do some research for customer reviews on google, or talk to people "in
    the know" within your trade (because obviously you are not), and for
    gods sake man- think on your own feet!
    were i to offer advise- whether in person or via a forum such as this-
    for someone whom I know is being paid for their OWN (dubious) expertise,
    i would demand 50% commission on the spot.

    catchme, Mar 7, 2008

  3. Bob Bob

    chuckie® Guest

    "Bob Bob" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > A customer of mine is complaining that the coolermaster cpu fan I
    > supplied with the machine is outrageously noisy.
    > I replaced the out of the box fan with another coolermaster unit which
    > helped a bit but not enough.
    > If anyone has a product in the $20 range that is somewhat quieter than
    > the coolermaster I would appreciate any and all info.
    > Thank You.
    > BOB

    FWIW, I use the Arctic Silencer 64 Ultra TCL, very quiet, seems to work well
    on my AMD 64/3000. Got it though NewEgg, IIRC, don't remember the
    price...just my two cents...

    chuckie®, Mar 8, 2008
  4. Bob Bob

    Bob Bob Guest

    On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 00:49:43 GMT, "chuckie®" <>
    wrote:

    >"Bob Bob" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> A customer of mine is complaining that the coolermaster cpu fan I
    >> supplied with the machine is outrageously noisy.
    >> I replaced the out of the box fan with another coolermaster unit which
    >> helped a bit but not enough.
    >> If anyone has a product in the $20 range that is somewhat quieter than
    >> the coolermaster I would appreciate any and all info.
    >> Thank You.
    >> BOB

    >FWIW, I use the Arctic Silencer 64 Ultra TCL, very quiet, seems to work well
    >on my AMD 64/3000. Got it though NewEgg, IIRC, don't remember the
    >price...just my two cents...

    Thanks for the practical tip.
    bob

    Bob Bob, Mar 8, 2008
  5. Bob Bob

    Bob Bob Guest

    On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 06:02:48 GMT, catchme <>
    wrote:

    >Bob Bob wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> A customer of mine is complaining that the coolermaster cpu fan I
    >> supplied with the machine is outrageously noisy.
    >> I replaced the out of the box fan with another coolermaster unit which
    >> helped a bit but not enough.
    >> If anyone has a product in the $20 range that is somewhat quieter than
    >> the coolermaster I would appreciate any and all info.
    >> Thank You.
    >> BOB

    >do some research for customer reviews on google, or talk to people "in
    >the know" within your trade (because obviously you are not), and for
    >gods sake man- think on your own feet!
    >were i to offer advise- whether in person or via a forum such as this-
    >for someone whom I know is being paid for their OWN (dubious) expertise,
    >i would demand 50% commission on the spot.

    Thanks for the help and advise...

    Bob Bob, Mar 8, 2008
  6. Bob Bob

    Phat Sam Guest

    On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 20:05:56 -0800 (PST), Bob Bob <>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >A customer of mine is complaining that the coolermaster cpu fan I
    >supplied with the machine is outrageously noisy.
    >I replaced the out of the box fan with another coolermaster unit which
    >helped a bit but not enough.
    >If anyone has a product in the $20 range that is somewhat quieter than
    >the coolermaster I would appreciate any and all info.
    >Thank You.
    >BOB

    Personally, with the cost of CPU's these days, I'd rather have a 440HP
    V8 Engine Blowing Cold Air onto my CPU than a whimpy Girly Fan that
    doesn't produce much noise. I don't know why some people act like
    their CPU FAN is just giving them a splitting headache. Hell, some
    Hard Drives produce more noise than the CPU Fan! Either way, buy a
    decent set of speakers and you won't hear the noise of the CPU Fan!
    When I sold computers custom built for my customers, it wasn't an
    option to have extra case fans. In fact, I generally tried to add as
    many fans as the case would allow for. Especially because my
    customers tended to be so stupid that they'd bury their computers in
    an enclosed area, shut the door (completly limiting the air flow) and
    running the computer 24/7. (in one case, the customer even had the
    HEATER on to the point that I was sweating with only a t-shirt and
    pants on! It must have been about 80 - 85 degrees in his house... The
    cost of the fans are nothing compared to the cost of the CPU's, I'd
    rather the computer sound like an Aircraft Hanger than be replacing a
    new CPU every 2 weeks! Incidently, that's what you'll be doing if you
    start skimping on CPU fans and case fans....

    Phat Sam, Mar 8, 2008
  7. Bob Bob

    catchme Guest

    Phat Sam wrote:
    > On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 20:05:56 -0800 (PST), Bob Bob <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> A customer of mine is complaining that the coolermaster cpu fan I
    >> supplied with the machine is outrageously noisy.
    >> I replaced the out of the box fan with another coolermaster unit which
    >> helped a bit but not enough.
    >> If anyone has a product in the $20 range that is somewhat quieter than
    >> the coolermaster I would appreciate any and all info.
    >> Thank You.
    >> BOB

    > Personally, with the cost of CPU's these days, I'd rather have a 440HP
    > V8 Engine Blowing Cold Air onto my CPU than a whimpy Girly Fan that
    > doesn't produce much noise. I don't know why some people act like
    > their CPU FAN is just giving them a splitting headache. Hell, some
    > Hard Drives produce more noise than the CPU Fan! Either way, buy a
    > decent set of speakers and you won't hear the noise of the CPU Fan!
    > When I sold computers custom built for my customers, it wasn't an
    > option to have extra case fans. In fact, I generally tried to add as
    > many fans as the case would allow for. Especially because my
    > customers tended to be so stupid that they'd bury their computers in
    > an enclosed area, shut the door (completly limiting the air flow) and
    > running the computer 24/7. (in one case, the customer even had the
    > HEATER on to the point that I was sweating with only a t-shirt and
    > pants on! It must have been about 80 - 85 degrees in his house... The
    > cost of the fans are nothing compared to the cost of the CPU's, I'd
    > rather the computer sound like an Aircraft Hanger than be replacing a
    > new CPU every 2 weeks! Incidently, that's what you'll be doing if you
    > start skimping on CPU fans and case fans....

    in my 680 sf apartment, the merest noise on my hard drive is enough to
    wake me up (like when my scheduled scans and assorted updates are active).
    A hard drive that is always noisy would simply be intolerable (not just
    from lack of sleep, but also from concern of performance issues that
    chronic hard drive noise points at), never mind a noisy fan as well.
    an "aircraft hangar" in a small apartment is extremely inappropriate to
    my wife and myself- and potentially, my neighbours.

    catchme, Mar 8, 2008
  8. Bob Bob

    Bob Bob Guest

    On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 09:09:58 -0600, Phat Sam <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 20:05:56 -0800 (PST), Bob Bob <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>A customer of mine is complaining that the coolermaster cpu fan I
    >>supplied with the machine is outrageously noisy.
    >>I replaced the out of the box fan with another coolermaster unit which
    >>helped a bit but not enough.
    >>If anyone has a product in the $20 range that is somewhat quieter than
    >>the coolermaster I would appreciate any and all info.
    >>Thank You.
    >>BOB

    >Personally, with the cost of CPU's these days, I'd rather have a 440HP
    >V8 Engine Blowing Cold Air onto my CPU than a whimpy Girly Fan that
    >doesn't produce much noise. I don't know why some people act like
    >their CPU FAN is just giving them a splitting headache. Hell, some
    >Hard Drives produce more noise than the CPU Fan! Either way, buy a
    >decent set of speakers and you won't hear the noise of the CPU Fan!
    >When I sold computers custom built for my customers, it wasn't an
    >option to have extra case fans. In fact, I generally tried to add as
    >many fans as the case would allow for. Especially because my
    >customers tended to be so stupid that they'd bury their computers in
    >an enclosed area, shut the door (completly limiting the air flow) and
    >running the computer 24/7. (in one case, the customer even had the
    >HEATER on to the point that I was sweating with only a t-shirt and
    >pants on! It must have been about 80 - 85 degrees in his house... The
    >cost of the fans are nothing compared to the cost of the CPU's, I'd
    >rather the computer sound like an Aircraft Hanger than be replacing a
    >new CPU every 2 weeks! Incidently, that's what you'll be doing if you
    >start skimping on CPU fans and case fans....

    Thanks for the note back and I agree. I am sure you also heard 'my
    dell is whisper quiet' to which I can then point to the gray cased
    units in the shop....

    Actually I think that one spouse is driving the other up the wall and
    uses just anything to add to the grief.

    These AMDs do run hotter though which is why I use both front and rear
    case fans. One of the by products is that the front unit can suck in
    the cigarette smoke that is left over as the baby cannot possibly
    handle it all and the rear one can take whatever does not stick to the
    inside components and blow it out the back....

    I do have some larger bladed CPU fans that spin slower and do the job
    but was just looking of the experiences of others. These also mount on
    taller and larger finned heat sinks.

    The liquid cooler units seem to function well but carry some pretty
    decent price tags...

    Oh well.

    You know that those desks with computer enclosures must have the non
    vented door closed to 'look right'! Shame if they are open and almost
    as bad as having the rear panel left nice and solid.

    Don't matter what you tell them either as a lot of people have way
    more dennaros than gray matter.....,or so it seems.

    Thanks for moving the discussion.
    Bob

    Bob Bob, Mar 8, 2008
  9. Bob Bob

    Phat Sam Guest

    On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 19:01:00 GMT, catchme <>
    wrote:

    >in my 680 sf apartment, the merest noise on my hard drive is enough to
    >wake me up (like when my scheduled scans and assorted updates are active).
    >A hard drive that is always noisy would simply be intolerable (not just
    >from lack of sleep, but also from concern of performance issues that
    >chronic hard drive noise points at), never mind a noisy fan as well.
    >an "aircraft hangar" in a small apartment is extremely inappropriate to
    >my wife and myself- and potentially, my neighbours.

    You can't get rid of your neighbors, but you can get rid of your wife.
    Though if the sound of your CPU fan is keeping you awake, I have
    reasons to believe you've got other problems like constantly loading
    yourself up on energy drinks to the point that you are not sleepy. Had
    you been sleepy to begin with, you'd be able to sleep with the sound
    of the fan. But hey, if you really have that much of a problem, just
    rip the fan off and leave the computer on 24/7, then buy you a new
    computer every 3-4 hours.... Of course, you might also ask yourself
    if you need to leave your computer on 24/7.... If your going to live
    in such a crappy apartment building that the sound of your CPU fan
    wakes the neighbors, then you may just have to live with a crappy fan
    and turn your CPU off when your not using it.... You probably
    shouldn't use your computer after 9pm either to ensure that the case
    fan or CPU fan doesn't wake the neighbors... Not to mention, better
    hold your breath as the sound of it could cause the neighbors to have
    a heart attack....

    Phat Sam, Mar 9, 2008
  10. Bob Bob

    Phat Sam Guest

    On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 17:32:35 -0500, Bob Bob <>
    wrote:

    >You know that those desks with computer enclosures must have the non
    >vented door closed to 'look right'! Shame if they are open and almost
    >as bad as having the rear panel left nice and solid.
    >
    >Don't matter what you tell them either as a lot of people have way
    >more dennaros than gray matter.....,or so it seems.

    Yup, a friend's wife made the comment that she told him when they got
    a new computer that it had to look "Good in the living room", or they
    wasn't getting it... I told him he needed a new wife....

    Phat Sam, Mar 9, 2008
  11. Bob Bob

    Guest

    Phat Sam <> wrote:

    >Yup, a friend's wife made the comment that she told him when they got
    >a new computer that it had to look "Good in the living room", or they
    >wasn't getting it... I told him he needed a new wife....

    Needs to go Alienware then
    http://www.alienware.com/Product_Pages/desktop_all_default.aspx

    FWIW I have a gateway that is so quiet, that it sits at my feet and I
    can't hear a thing. At first I stuck a straw in the fan of the power
    supply to prove to myself that the fan was really running :)
    (P4 3Ghz game machine)
    --

    Give free rice to hungry people by playing a simple word game.
    http://freerice.com/index.php?cool

    , Mar 9, 2008
  12. Bob Bob

    Bob Bob Guest

    On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 09:27:14 -0500, Phat Sam <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 17:32:35 -0500, Bob Bob <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>You know that those desks with computer enclosures must have the non
    >>vented door closed to 'look right'! Shame if they are open and almost
    >>as bad as having the rear panel left nice and solid.
    >>
    >>Don't matter what you tell them either as a lot of people have way
    >>more dennaros than gray matter.....,or so it seems.

    >Yup, a friend's wife made the comment that she told him when they got
    >a new computer that it had to look "Good in the living room", or they
    >wasn't getting it... I told him he needed a new wife....

    I tell you, a new wife once in a while sure beats the hell out of
    reloading/reinstalling all the software and the data files....and it
    could turn out that they could take up some time--at least for a
    while.
    ....I know, everyone should have a ghosted copy of the hard drive, but
    on the chance that the new wife could be a redhead--ah, ain't it
    sweet......

    Bob Bob, Mar 10, 2008
  13. Bob Bob

    catchme Guest

    Phat Sam wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 19:01:00 GMT, catchme <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> in my 680 sf apartment, the merest noise on my hard drive is enough to
    >> wake me up (like when my scheduled scans and assorted updates are active).
    >> A hard drive that is always noisy would simply be intolerable (not just
    >>from lack of sleep, but also from concern of performance issues that
    >> chronic hard drive noise points at), never mind a noisy fan as well.
    >> an "aircraft hangar" in a small apartment is extremely inappropriate to
    >> my wife and myself- and potentially, my neighbours.

    > You can't get rid of your neighbors, but you can get rid of your wife.
    > Though if the sound of your CPU fan is keeping you awake, I have
    > reasons to believe you've got other problems like constantly loading
    > yourself up on energy drinks to the point that you are not sleepy. Had
    > you been sleepy to begin with, you'd be able to sleep with the sound
    > of the fan. But hey, if you really have that much of a problem, just
    > rip the fan off and leave the computer on 24/7, then buy you a new
    > computer every 3-4 hours.... Of course, you might also ask yourself
    > if you need to leave your computer on 24/7.... If your going to live
    > in such a crappy apartment building that the sound of your CPU fan
    > wakes the neighbors, then you may just have to live with a crappy fan
    > and turn your CPU off when your not using it.... You probably
    > shouldn't use your computer after 9pm either to ensure that the case
    > fan or CPU fan doesn't wake the neighbors... Not to mention, better
    > hold your breath as the sound of it could cause the neighbors to have
    > a heart attack....

    ummm.. i think you missed the gist.
    the fellow i was replying to said that he would rather some high
    powered, noisy fan running than some wimpy one.
    my post was that in most places the "wimpy" fan is most practical (i
    cannot imagine having to work beside a noisy fan that the fellow i was
    replying to had suggested as appropriate).
    however, yes the slightest noise does wake me- always has.
    partly this might be from having been in cadets and "conditioned" to
    sleeping at the ready, and partly it may have been other enviromental
    factors, such as growing up in a poor neighbourhood in a busy city, or
    too many weird shifts.
    im not complaining about the noise of my computer- but i do question why
    anyone would WANT to have a noisy machine?

    catchme, Mar 10, 2008
  14. Bob Bob

    Phat Sam Guest

    On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 21:11:13 -0400, Bob Bob <>
    wrote:

    >I tell you, a new wife once in a while sure beats the hell out of
    >reloading/reinstalling all the software and the data files....and it
    >could turn out that they could take up some time--at least for a
    >while.
    >...I know, everyone should have a ghosted copy of the hard drive, but
    >on the chance that the new wife could be a redhead--ah, ain't it
    >sweet......

    Even better if the new wife would be dead on arrival...

    Phat Sam, Mar 10, 2008