Looking for Suggestions on USB and other network possibilities

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rob, Aug 31, 2003.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Hi,

    While I consider myself a decently knowledgeable computer person, I know
    absolutely nothing about networking. So I am asking this question to figure
    out what I should do...

    I have my home PC and I now have a laptop from work. I want to transfer the
    files from the laptop to my home PC. What is the best way to do this?

    My home PC has Windows XP and the laptop has Win 2000. I also have a DSL
    connection.

    The transferring of files between the machine won't happen very often. I've
    heard of transferring between the two with a special USB cable. Is this
    possible? And if so, what cable should I get? It was also suggested to me to
    use a wireless connection (also with the USB), what do you think?

    While it would be cool to setup a wireless network at home, I thought that
    it was a bit overkill for what I want to do.

    Thanks for the suggestions and help.

    -Rob

    Rob, Aug 31, 2003

  2. Wireless network would be easy for you to set up and wouldn't really cost
    you that much. You can get a wireless Access point with 4 port Ethernet
    router for around £50 (Probably less if you aren't in the UK) this will plug
    into your phone line instead of your ADSL modem. For the laptop you could
    get an internal warless card for around £50 or a USB external version for
    £20. With this setup it would mean you could then add additional computers
    with ease and share internet connection, printers etc. Plus you get to sit
    and watch TV while checking your emails, you would be amazed how much
    enjoyment I get from doing this!!!

    The USB option is another way to go about it, you can buy a USB network hub
    for around £25 I think, then you just plug a USB cable into each machine.

    Another alternative would be to use a cross-over Ethernet cable, assuming
    both machines have network cards this would only cost you £5.

    Robin Goodfellow, Aug 31, 2003

  3. "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > While I consider myself a decently knowledgeable computer person, I know
    > absolutely nothing about networking. So I am asking this question to

    figure
    > out what I should do...
    >
    > I have my home PC and I now have a laptop from work. I want to transfer

    the
    > files from the laptop to my home PC. What is the best way to do this?
    >
    > My home PC has Windows XP and the laptop has Win 2000. I also have a DSL
    > connection.
    >
    > The transferring of files between the machine won't happen very often.

    I've
    > heard of transferring between the two with a special USB cable. Is this
    > possible? And if so, what cable should I get? It was also suggested to me

    > use a wireless connection (also with the USB), what do you think?
    >
    > While it would be cool to setup a wireless network at home, I thought that
    > it was a bit overkill for what I want to do.
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestions and help.

    Do both computers have an RJ45 (ethernet) connection? I belive youcan set
    up a simple network between the two computers using a crossover cable...

    I'll see what I can find, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will jump
    in and correct me :)

    Sentient Fluid, Aug 31, 2003
  4. Some time, on or about: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 04:16:16 +0100, "Robin
    Goodfellow" <> was criminally insane in my
    professional opinion when they claimed the following balderdash:

    >Wireless network would be easy for you to set up and wouldn't really cost
    >you that much. You can get a wireless Access point with 4 port Ethernet
    >router for around £50 (Probably less if you aren't in the UK) this will plug
    >into your phone line instead of your ADSL modem.

    Bzzzt! Wrong. The router plugs into the DSL modem and it has to be
    setup to use PPOE. Then you setup the 2 machines using the wireless
    ethernet cards. XP comes with the connection protocol installed, W2K
    does not.

    >For the laptop you could
    >get an internal warless card for around £50 or a USB external version for
    >£20. With this setup it would mean you could then add additional computers
    >with ease and share internet connection, printers etc. Plus you get to sit
    >and watch TV while checking your emails, you would be amazed how much
    >enjoyment I get from doing this!!!
    >
    >The USB option is another way to go about it, you can buy a USB network hub
    >for around £25 I think, then you just plug a USB cable into each machine.
    >
    >Another alternative would be to use a cross-over Ethernet cable, assuming
    >both machines have network cards this would only cost you £5.

    By far the cheapest method would be to buy a regular 4 port ethernet
    router that uses RJ45 cable. They run about $2o US. The router
    automatically setups the IP addresses using TCP/IP using DHCP. Then
    you can go in and setup one of the C drives to be shared and happily
    transfer the files between the 2 PCs. An added bonus is that unlike
    wireless networks, where you have to setup encryption on the network
    connections, the connections are pretty much secure. If you live in
    the city and use a wireless network, any little shit with a laptop and
    a wireless network card can use your router as access to your Internet
    connection unless you setup encryption.

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Aug 31, 2003
  5. Rob

    Willard Guest

    "Sentient Fluid" <> wrote in message news:<6De4b.874734$>...
    > "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > While I consider myself a decently knowledgeable computer person, I know
    > > absolutely nothing about networking. So I am asking this question to

    > figure
    > > out what I should do...
    > >
    > > I have my home PC and I now have a laptop from work. I want to transfer

    > the
    > > files from the laptop to my home PC. What is the best way to do this?
    > >
    > > My home PC has Windows XP and the laptop has Win 2000. I also have a DSL
    > > connection.
    > >
    > > The transferring of files between the machine won't happen very often.

    > I've
    > > heard of transferring between the two with a special USB cable. Is this
    > > possible? And if so, what cable should I get? It was also suggested to me

    > > use a wireless connection (also with the USB), what do you think?
    > >
    > > While it would be cool to setup a wireless network at home, I thought that
    > > it was a bit overkill for what I want to do.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the suggestions and help.

    > Do both computers have an RJ45 (ethernet) connection? I belive youcan set
    > up a simple network between the two computers using a crossover cable...
    >
    > I'll see what I can find, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will jump
    > in and correct me :)

    Radio Shack has "USB Link-Networking Cable" about $45(I think)..

    Willard

    Willard, Aug 31, 2003
  6. Rob

    BJ Guest

    Surely if your not going to transfer files often, you may just wanna get a
    usb infra red port for you desktop machine and link them via infra red. Far
    less hassle than setting up a network.

    BJ, Aug 31, 2003
  7. Would you like me to show you a router with built in DSL modem ???? Why buy
    a router when he can get one of these for a few pounds more???

    http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600.html

    http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/sbs/uk/modems/name/adsl router/type/modem/manufacturer/I/113801.html

    http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-search.asp?action=search&stab=ref&ob=manufacturer&cs=Home

    there's a page full of them for you to ponder over

    Robin Goodfellow, Sep 1, 2003