Looking for specific flash bracket

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Don Wiss, May 6, 2012.

  1. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    I'm looking to buy an Olympus OM-D. One of the things I do is to take
    pictures of the Mermaid Parade. The people march away from the sun. Hence I
    need a powerful flash to reduce the shadows.

    Putting the top-of-the-line flash on top of a lightweight camera makes it
    very top heavy and tiring to hold, as one is constantly having to hold it
    back from flopping forward.

    On the Amazon page for the OM-D there is this little picture with a flash
    bracket holding the flash to one side. It wouldn't be top heavy and the
    spacing may make it easier to hold with two hands.

    http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/camera/Olympus/eF1/olympus_em5_8.jpg

    A grip on the far side could make it even nicer to hold. This appears to be
    an inexpensive bracket. But I have been unable to find this bracket on the
    web.

    Don. www.donwiss.com/pictures/ (e-mail link at page bottoms).

    Don Wiss, May 6, 2012

  2. Don Wiss

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Don Wiss
    <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:

    > I'm looking to buy an Olympus OM-D. One of the things I do is to take
    > pictures of the Mermaid Parade. The people march away from the sun. Hence I
    > need a powerful flash to reduce the shadows.
    >
    > Putting the top-of-the-line flash on top of a lightweight camera makes it
    > very top heavy and tiring to hold, as one is constantly having to hold it
    > back from flopping forward.
    >
    > On the Amazon page for the OM-D there is this little picture with a flash
    > bracket holding the flash to one side. It wouldn't be top heavy and the
    > spacing may make it easier to hold with two hands.
    >
    > http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/camera/Olympus/eF1/olym
    > pus_em5_8.jpg
    >
    > A grip on the far side could make it even nicer to hold. This appears to be
    > an inexpensive bracket. But I have been unable to find this bracket on the
    > web.

    that looks like the bracket for the nikon coolpix.

    however, i'd suggest using a stroboframe.

    nospam, May 6, 2012

  3. Don Wiss

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>,
    donwiss@no_spam.com says...

    > I'm looking to buy an Olympus OM-D. One of the things I do is to take
    > pictures of the Mermaid Parade. The people march away from the sun. Hence I
    > need a powerful flash to reduce the shadows.
    >
    > Putting the top-of-the-line flash on top of a lightweight camera makes it
    > very top heavy and tiring to hold, as one is constantly having to hold it
    > back from flopping forward.
    >
    > On the Amazon page for the OM-D there is this little picture with a flash
    > bracket holding the flash to one side. It wouldn't be top heavy and the
    > spacing may make it easier to hold with two hands.
    >
    > http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/camera/Olympus/eF1/olympus_em5_8.jpg
    >
    > A grip on the far side could make it even nicer to hold. This appears to be
    > an inexpensive bracket. But I have been unable to find this bracket on the
    > web.

    Looks like some relative of an Olympus FL-BK04.

    J. Clarke, May 6, 2012
  4. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Sun, 6 May 2012, "J. Clarke" <> wrote:

    >In article donwiss@no_spam.com says...
    >> On the Amazon page for the OM-D there is this little picture with a flash
    >> bracket holding the flash to one side. It wouldn't be top heavy and the
    >> spacing may make it easier to hold with two hands.
    >>
    >> http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/camera/Olympus/eF1/olympus_em5_8.jpg

    >Looks like some relative of an Olympus FL-BK04.

    Yep. I found that bracket. But $150 is kind of expensive for a bracket. The
    pictured one no doubt is a fraction of that cost. If it exists.

    Don Wiss, May 6, 2012
  5. Don Wiss

    RichA Guest

    On May 6, 3:26 pm, nospam <> wrote:
    > In article <>, Don Wiss
    >

    > <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:
    > > I'm looking to buy an Olympus OM-D. One of the things I do is to take
    > > pictures of the Mermaid Parade. The people march away from the sun. Hence I
    > > need a powerful flash to reduce the shadows.

    > > Putting the top-of-the-line flash on top of a lightweight camera makes it
    > > very top heavy and tiring to hold, as one is constantly having to hold it
    > > back from flopping forward.

    > > On the Amazon page for the OM-D there is this little picture with a flash
    > > bracket holding the flash to one side. It wouldn't be top heavy and the
    > > spacing may make it easier to hold with two hands.

    > >http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/camera/Olympus...
    > > pus_em5_8.jpg

    > > A grip on the far side could make it even nicer to hold. This appears to be
    > > an inexpensive bracket. But I have been unable to find this bracket on the
    > > web.

    > that looks like the bracket for the nikon coolpix.
    >
    > however, i'd suggest using a stroboframe.

    Since the days of grips that actually fit the hand are long dead, and
    Stroboframes are just bent aluminum bars and very uncomfortable to
    hold (even with cheap foam slip-on grip material) I'd suggest getting
    some of this stuff and making a custom hand-grip for it.

    https://www.inventables.com/technologies/modeling-silicone-sugru

    RichA, May 7, 2012
  6. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On 07 May 2012, "C. Neil Ellwood" <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 06 May 2012 12:18:18 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:
    >> On the Amazon page for the OM-D there is this little picture with a
    >> flash bracket holding the flash to one side. It wouldn't be top heavy
    >> and the spacing may make it easier to hold with two hands.
    >>
    >> http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/camera/Olympus/eF1/olympus_em5_8.jpg

    >Why not make your own.

    I don't have a drill press, nor the inclination. Such a bracket can't be
    expensive.

    Don Wiss, May 7, 2012
  7. Don Wiss

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/6/2012 12:18 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
    > I'm looking to buy an Olympus OM-D. One of the things I do is to take
    > pictures of the Mermaid Parade. The people march away from the sun. Hence I
    > need a powerful flash to reduce the shadows.
    >
    > Putting the top-of-the-line flash on top of a lightweight camera makes it
    > very top heavy and tiring to hold, as one is constantly having to hold it
    > back from flopping forward.
    >
    > On the Amazon page for the OM-D there is this little picture with a flash
    > bracket holding the flash to one side. It wouldn't be top heavy and the
    > spacing may make it easier to hold with two hands.
    >
    > http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/camera/Olympus/eF1/olympus_em5_8.jpg
    >
    > A grip on the far side could make it even nicer to hold. This appears to be
    > an inexpensive bracket. But I have been unable to find this bracket on the
    > web.
    >
    > Don. www.donwiss.com/pictures/ (e-mail link at page bottoms).

    several years ago I looked into that question and came up blank. You
    will be able to fill in some shadows, but not overcome full sunlight.

    I have found the best way to shoot the characters in the parade is to
    get a pass for the staging area. (Last year they sold them to $5.) I've
    had a lot of fun shooting in that area. The participants are very
    friendly and all too willing to pose.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, May 8, 2012
  8. Don Wiss

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/7/2012 9:00 AM, Don Wiss wrote:
    > On 07 May 2012, "C. Neil Ellwood"<> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 06 May 2012 12:18:18 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:
    >>> On the Amazon page for the OM-D there is this little picture with a
    >>> flash bracket holding the flash to one side. It wouldn't be top heavy
    >>> and the spacing may make it easier to hold with two hands.
    >>>
    >>> http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/camera/Olympus/eF1/olympus_em5_8.jpg

    >> Why not make your own.

    > I don't have a drill press, nor the inclination. Such a bracket can't be
    > expensive.

    I agree that it shouldn't be. The price of anything sturdy seems to be
    upwards of $100.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, May 8, 2012
  9. Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:

    > I'm looking to buy an Olympus OM-D. One of the things I do is to take
    > pictures of the Mermaid Parade. The people march away from the sun. Hence I
    > need a powerful flash to reduce the shadows.

    > Putting the top-of-the-line flash on top of a lightweight camera makes it
    > very top heavy and tiring to hold, as one is constantly having to hold it
    > back from flopping forward.

    > On the Amazon page for the OM-D there is this little picture with a flash
    > bracket holding the flash to one side. It wouldn't be top heavy and the
    > spacing may make it easier to hold with two hands.

    > http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/camera/Olympus/eF1/olympus_em5_8.jpg

    > A grip on the far side could make it even nicer to hold. This appears to be
    > an inexpensive bracket. But I have been unable to find this bracket on the
    > web.

    > Don. www.donwiss.com/pictures/ (e-mail link at page bottoms).

    Or you could find a place where they'll march past a sunlit light
    coloured wall, a giant fill reflector. Or you could overexpose,
    e.g. spot expose for the shaded faces.

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, May 8, 2012