    find anything in that application to fix the colour problems. A free program
    will be preferable.

    Thanks.
    Pluto, Aug 10, 2003

  2. Pluto

    Stuart Guest

    You need to tweak the Red channel using Curves or Levels in whatever photo
    editor you have got. THe ideal is of course Photoshop but I have also found
    PaintShop Pro (at about 1/5th the price of PS a good workhorse)

    "Pluto" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I scanned a lot of old photos that have gone reddish. Is there a good
    > software that will automatically restore my digital photos, removing the

    red

    Stuart, Aug 10, 2003

  3. Pluto

    Scott Chapin Guest

    Try digital ROC, it rally rocks! www.asf.com. There is a free tial you can
    download to see whether it works for your application. It certainly worked
    wonders on my old photos.

    Scott Chapin

    Scott Chapin, Aug 10, 2003
  4. Pluto

    CSM1 Guest

    "Pluto" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I scanned a lot of old photos that have gone reddish. Is there a good
    > software that will automatically restore my digital photos, removing the

    red
    > colours? I have Corel PhotoPaint 9 Digital Camera edition, but I could not
    > find anything in that application to fix the colour problems. A free

    program
    > will be preferable.
    >
    > Thanks.

    It may be impossible to restore those photos to anything that looks right.
    The sun has bleached out the green and blue dye layers of the photos,
    therefore those colors are just plain gone!

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    CSM1, Aug 10, 2003
  5. "Pluto" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I scanned a lot of old photos that have gone reddish. Is there a good
    > software that will automatically restore my digital photos, removing the

    red
    > colours? I have Corel PhotoPaint 9 Digital Camera edition, but I could not
    > find anything in that application to fix the colour problems. A free

    program
    > will be preferable.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Paint Shop Pro v.8 has a one-click function to correct scans of faded
    photos. It does a surprisingly good job. Download the free trial version
    from www.jasc.com, and see for yourself.
    Marvin Margoshes, Aug 10, 2003
  6. "CSM1" <> wrote in message
    > "Pluto" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I scanned a lot of old photos that have gone reddish. Is there a good
    > > software that will automatically restore my digital photos, removing the

    > red
    > > colours? I have Corel PhotoPaint 9 Digital Camera edition, but I could

    not
    > > find anything in that application to fix the colour problems. A free

    > program
    > > will be preferable.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > It may be impossible to restore those photos to anything that looks right.
    > The sun has bleached out the green and blue dye layers of the photos,
    > therefore those colors are just plain gone!

    That is true for some photos. But I've been pleasantly surprised by what I
    could do restoring colors with PSP. There were only a few I had to give up
    on, and make BW prints form.
    Marvin Margoshes, Aug 11, 2003
  7. Pluto

    Pluto Guest

    Thanks everyone for your postings. I downloaded and tried Paint Shop Pro 8.
    Overall my reddish photos are much better after I applied (Adjust | Color
    Balance | Automatic Color Balance) or (Adjust | Color Balance | Fade
    Correction), but it seems they become a bit greenish. Maybe I should just
    wait for some years; there should be better algorithm to restore reddish
    photos later on.

    Maybe with faster and faster PCs, what I need is a viewer that fix my photos
    on the fly, while leaving the original files intact. That way, with progress
    in photo retouching algorithms, I'll always get the latest and best fix.

    Thanks.

    Pluto, Aug 11, 2003
  8. Pluto

    Tom Monego Guest

    Try "Test Strip" and excellent plugin for restoring photos. Kind of
    "variations" on steroids. Also has an auto setting that does wonders,
    interactive 20 steps.

    Tom

    Tom Monego, Aug 11, 2003