    Anyone know of a reasonably priced program that will do this?

    G.M. Durrence
    (To reply remove -nospam)

    G.M. Durrence, Apr 8, 2004

  2. G.M. Durrence <> wrote in
    news::

    > I have a few hundred pictures I took on a recent vacation. I want to
    > put them into an album. Instead of printing individual pictures and
    > putting them into a photo album I would like to put 4 pictures into
    > one JPG image to take to a commercial printer to print on one 8 X 10
    > or larger sheet so that I can bind several sheets into an album.
    >
    > I can use Adobe Illustrator or other software to combine 4 pictures to
    > print on one sheet to print on my printer, but if I save the combined
    > pictures in JPG format the resolution is much less than the originals.
    >
    > I would like to combine four 2 megapixel pictures into somethilng
    > close to one 8 megapixel picture.
    >
    > Anyone know of a reasonably priced program that will do this?
    >
    > G.M. Durrence
    > (To reply remove -nospam)

    You can do it with IrfanView - and it is for free.
    www.irfanview.com
    With IrfanView you also can do it in batch mode.

    Or you can probably use Adobe Illustrator. I don't think
    that you will lose any resolution. But I don't have
    Illustrator - so ...

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Apr 8, 2004

  3. G.M. Durrence

    Lucas Tam Guest

    G.M. Durrence <> wrote in

    > I can use Adobe Illustrator or other software to combine 4 pictures to
    > print on one sheet to print on my printer, but if I save the combined
    > pictures in JPG format the resolution is much less than the originals.

    This shouldn't be the case - must be something wrong with your DPI
    settings.

    Anyhow, try Qimage.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Apr 8, 2004
  4. G.M. Durrence

    Paul J Gans Guest

    G.M. Durrence <> wrote:
    >I have a few hundred pictures I took on a recent vacation. I want to
    >put them into an album. Instead of printing individual pictures and
    >putting them into a photo album I would like to put 4 pictures into
    >one JPG image to take to a commercial printer to print on one 8 X 10
    >or larger sheet so that I can bind several sheets into an album.

    >I can use Adobe Illustrator or other software to combine 4 pictures to
    >print on one sheet to print on my printer, but if I save the combined
    >pictures in JPG format the resolution is much less than the originals.

    >I would like to combine four 2 megapixel pictures into somethilng
    >close to one 8 megapixel picture.

    >Anyone know of a reasonably priced program that will do this?

    >G.M. Durrence

    Hmmm. What I'd do is first convert each picture to a lossless
    format. Then I'd combine them. If you need to print from a
    JPG, I'd save the result as a JPG as a last step.

    If I was doing any manipulation of any of the shots, I'd do
    it to the individual pics in lossless format.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Apr 8, 2004
  5. G.M. Durrence

    Frank ess Guest

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > G.M. Durrence <> wrote:
    >> I have a few hundred pictures I took on a recent vacation. I want to
    >> put them into an album. Instead of printing individual pictures and
    >> putting them into a photo album I would like to put 4 pictures into
    >> one JPG image to take to a commercial printer to print on one 8 X 10
    >> or larger sheet so that I can bind several sheets into an album.

    >> I can use Adobe Illustrator or other software to combine 4 pictures
    >> to print on one sheet to print on my printer, but if I save the
    >> combined pictures in JPG format the resolution is much less than the
    >> originals.

    >> I would like to combine four 2 megapixel pictures into somethilng
    >> close to one 8 megapixel picture.

    >> Anyone know of a reasonably priced program that will do this?

    >> G.M. Durrence

    > Hmmm. What I'd do is first convert each picture to a lossless
    > format. Then I'd combine them. If you need to print from a
    > JPG, I'd save the result as a JPG as a last step.
    >
    > If I was doing any manipulation of any of the shots, I'd do
    > it to the individual pics in lossless format.
    >
    > ---- Paul J. Gans

    Seems to me that at four photos on one 8x10 page, even edge-to-edge for
    the images, you don't need to worry much about resolution. The math
    whizzes will be able to work it out for you, but there is a maximum
    amount of definition you can get in a 3 1/2 x 5- inch image on photo
    paper. Anything you throw at it beyond that is just wasted bandwidth.

    Of course when *I* do it, I print from the largest and purest file my
    setup will swallow. I mean, what's a few seconds processing, compared to
    the knowledge I did the best I could with what I got?

    Frank ess, Apr 8, 2004