Looking for SIP account

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Dave Saville, May 8, 2006.

  1. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    Very new here.

    Looking at SIP account providers.

    Sipgate seem to have a good offering but their rates are a bit high for where I
    need to call most. The website says one can call a lot of other providers free.

    SipDiscount has very good rates but they do not mention calling other SIP
    providers - and you have to register before you can ask them anything :-(

    Any others? - I don't want any who lock you into the hardware etc. I take it
    that they all work on "pay in advance" rather than "pay as you go".

    I am thinking of buying the Sipura SPA-1001 - Could I have a provider on each
    line?

    I have a "spare" public IP address - I guess that is going to make setting up a
    lot easier.

    TIA

    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, May 8, 2006

  2. Dave Saville wrote:
    > Very new here.
    >
    > Any others? - I don't want any who lock you into the hardware etc. I take it
    > that they all work on "pay in advance" rather than "pay as you go".

    This is bound to start a my-providers-better-than-yours thread.
    Gradwell don't work on Pay in Advance, they bill you monthly (although
    they charge a £25 sign-up fee).

    Thomas Kenyon, May 8, 2006

  3. Dave Saville

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Thomas Kenyon" <> wrote in
    message news:9MI7g.7123$
    > Dave Saville wrote:
    > > Very new here.
    > >
    > > Any others? - I don't want any who lock you into the
    > > hardware etc. I take it that they all work on "pay in
    > > advance" rather than "pay as you go".
    > >

    > This is bound to start a my-providers-better-than-yours
    > thread. Gradwell don't work on Pay in Advance, they bill
    > you monthly (although they charge a £25 sign-up fee).

    Not wanting to start the aforementioned thread, but where do you call the
    most..?

    If the people you call also have SIP accounts, the call is free anyway,
    regardless of provider. Can you persuade them to get accounts also..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 8, 2006
  4. Dave Saville

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Thomas Kenyon" <> wrote in
    message news:9MI7g.7123$
    > Dave Saville wrote:
    > > Very new here.
    > >
    > > Any others? - I don't want any who lock you into the
    > > hardware etc. I take it that they all work on "pay in
    > > advance" rather than "pay as you go".
    > >

    > This is bound to start a my-providers-better-than-yours
    > thread. Gradwell don't work on Pay in Advance, they bill
    > you monthly (although they charge a £25 sign-up fee).

    They don't charge a setup fee for the single line residential service.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 8, 2006
  5. Dave Saville

    Scope Guest

    Dave Saville wrote:
    > SipDiscount has very good rates but they do not mention calling other SIP
    > providers - and you have to register before you can ask them anything :-(

    Ask them anything? I have never heard anybody ever get a reply from
    SipDiscount (and the likes).. If you want answer/helps, dont rely on
    these people, but try your questions in this group instead. Their prices
    are great though. :)

    Scope, May 8, 2006
  6. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Mon, 8 May 2006 16:01:18 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

    >Not wanting to start the aforementioned thread, but where do you call the
    >most..?
    >
    >If the people you call also have SIP accounts, the call is free anyway,
    >regardless of provider. Can you persuade them to get accounts also..?

    It is not actually where we call the most but the high cost of where we do - My
    brother in law is in India - So SipDiscount looks really good at 11p/min.
    Absolutely no chance of him using anything other than POTS. :)

    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, May 8, 2006
  7. Dave Saville

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Dave Saville" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 8 May 2006 16:01:18 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    > > Not wanting to start the aforementioned thread, but
    > > where do you call the most..?
    > >
    > > If the people you call also have SIP accounts, the call
    > > is free anyway, regardless of provider. Can you
    > > persuade them to get accounts also..?

    > It is not actually where we call the most but the high
    > cost of where we do - My brother in law is in India - So
    > SipDiscount looks really good at 11p/min. Absolutely no
    > chance of him using anything other than POTS. :)

    Tell him to get a job in an Indian call centre with an 0800 access number
    ;-)

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 8, 2006
  8. Dave Saville

    GwG Guest

    > On Mon, 8 May 2006 16:01:18 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    >>Not wanting to start the aforementioned thread, but where do you call
    >>the
    >>most..?
    >>
    >>If the people you call also have SIP accounts, the call is free
    >>anyway,
    >>regardless of provider. Can you persuade them to get accounts also..?

    > It is not actually where we call the most but the high cost of where
    > we do - My
    > brother in law is in India - So SipDiscount looks really good at
    > 11p/min.
    > Absolutely no chance of him using anything other than POTS. :)

    Not a SIP account, but if you dial 0871 772 57 57 before the Indian
    number, the calls cost 7p per minute via Dialwise
    http://www.dialwise.co.uk/rates.php

    GwG, May 8, 2006
  9. Dave Saville

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Mon, 8 May 2006, Thomas Kenyon writes
    >Dave Saville wrote:
    >> Very new here.
    >>
    >> Any others? - I don't want any who lock you into the hardware etc. I take it
    >> that they all work on "pay in advance" rather than "pay as you go".
    >>

    >This is bound to start a my-providers-better-than-yours thread.
    >Gradwell don't work on Pay in Advance, they bill you monthly (although
    >they charge a £25 sign-up fee).

    Also try voip.co.uk

    David Floyd, May 8, 2006
  10. Dave Saville

    Guest

    On Mon, 08 May 2006 15:39:10 +0100 (BST), "Dave Saville"
    <> wrote:

    >Any others? - I don't want any who lock you into the hardware etc. I take it
    >that they all work on "pay in advance" rather than "pay as you go".

    Voiphone.co.uk rates very reasonable and they are RELIABLE unlike one
    I could mention but won't .

    , May 8, 2006
  11. Dave Saville

    Mark Guest

    wrote:

    > Voiphone.co.uk rates very reasonable and they are RELIABLE unlike one
    > I could mention but won't .

    Good job I dont think I can stand another war about them there service
    has improved greatly since the new servers and service is now pretty
    much faultless

    Mark, May 8, 2006
  12. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Mon, 08 May 2006 15:55:04 GMT, GwG wrote:

    >http://www.dialwise.co.uk/rates.php

    Hey - Thanks for that - looks really good.

    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, May 8, 2006
  13. Dave Saville

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Mon, 8 May 2006, Mark writes
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Voiphone.co.uk rates very reasonable and they are RELIABLE unlike one
    >> I could mention but won't .

    >Good job I dont think I can stand another war about them there service
    >has improved greatly since the new servers and service is now pretty
    >much faultless

    Your reply is ambiguous. It sounds as though you're talking voip.co.uk,
    whereas I KNOW you're about Sipgate.

    David

    David Floyd, May 8, 2006
  14. Dave Saville

    Guest

    On Mon, 8 May 2006 18:14:42 +0100, David Floyd <>
    wrote:

    >In message of Mon, 8 May 2006, Mark writes
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Voiphone.co.uk rates very reasonable and they are RELIABLE unlike one
    >>> I could mention but won't .

    >>Good job I dont think I can stand another war about them there service
    >>has improved greatly since the new servers and service is now pretty
    >>much faultless

    >Your reply is ambiguous. It sounds as though you're talking voip.co.uk,
    >whereas I KNOW you're about Sipgate.
    >
    >David

    Well David you could be right on both counts I have just told v.uk to
    close my account I am cutting back to voipcheap and sipdiscount for
    outgoing and voiphone for incoming plus outgoing mobile calls once my
    year with Freetalk as ended.

    , May 8, 2006
  15. Dave Saville

    Bob L Guest

    On Mon, 08 May 2006 16:20:55 +0100 (BST), "Dave Saville"
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 8 May 2006 16:01:18 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    >>Not wanting to start the aforementioned thread, but where do you call the
    >>most..?
    >>
    >>If the people you call also have SIP accounts, the call is free anyway,
    >>regardless of provider. Can you persuade them to get accounts also..?

    >It is not actually where we call the most but the high cost of where we do - My
    >brother in law is in India - So SipDiscount looks really good at 11p/min.
    >Absolutely no chance of him using anything other than POTS. :)

    There are better deals using ordinary POTS !, you dial a prefix - list
    follows

    info from
    http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/index.php

    INDIA

    Operator Landline
    Bestminutes 4p/min
    (08444283232)
    Budgetcom 5p/min
    (08445662727)
    Cleverates 5p/min
    (08444522525)
    Pennyphone 5p/min
    (08444521452)
    PhoneCheap 5p/min
    (08445667171)
    TopUpDiscount 5p/min
    DiscountDial 6p/min
    (08717541212)
    Phonebird 6p/min
    (08717592473)
    18185 7p/min *
    Dialwise 7p/min
    (08717725757)
    Telesavers 7p/min
    (08717722525)
    Telestunt 7p/min
    (08717725959)
    Topupnow 7p/min **
    Abroadtel 8p/min
    (08718580008)
    DialAround 8p/min
    (08715513737)
    TeleTop 8p/min **
    CheapestChat 8.10p/min
    1899 9p/min *
    Alpha Telecom 9p/min
    Ratebuster 9p/min
    (08713565656)
    Tele88 9p/min
    (0871 331 0188)
    italk247 10p/min
    (08719131010)
    Liquid Dial Direct 10p/min
    (08715970010)
    Simply-Fone 10p/min
    (08719194333)
    call18866 14p/min *
    Telediscount 15p/min
    (09115012727)
    BT 25p/min
    Onetel 25p/min

    Bob L, May 9, 2006
  16. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Tue, 09 May 2006 07:43:48 +0100, Bob L wrote:

    >There are better deals using ordinary POTS !, you dial a prefix - list
    >follows
    >
    >info from
    >http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/index.php

    Many thanks for that link - Should save us a fortune :)

    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, May 9, 2006
  17. Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    > Dave Saville wrote:
    >
    >>Very new here.
    >>
    >>Any others? - I don't want any who lock you into the hardware etc. I take it
    >>that they all work on "pay in advance" rather than "pay as you go".
    >>

    > This is bound to start a my-providers-better-than-yours thread.
    > Gradwell don't work on Pay in Advance, they bill you monthly (although
    > they charge a £25 sign-up fee).

    Only for our IAX outbound service. Our free trial sip service is free
    for the first 3 months (4/month there after).

    peter

    Peter Gradwell, May 9, 2006
  18. Dave Saville

    GwG Guest

    "Peter Gradwell" <> wrote in message
    > Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    >> Dave Saville wrote:
    >>
    >>>Very new here.
    >>>
    >>>Any others? - I don't want any who lock you into the hardware etc. I
    >>>take it
    >>>that they all work on "pay in advance" rather than "pay as you go".
    >>>

    >> This is bound to start a my-providers-better-than-yours thread.
    >> Gradwell don't work on Pay in Advance, they bill you monthly
    >> (although
    >> they charge a £25 sign-up fee).

    > Only for our IAX outbound service. Our free trial sip service is free
    > for the first 3 months (4/month there after).

    £4.70 including VAT ?

    GwG, May 9, 2006
  19. Dave Saville

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "GwG" <> wrote in message
    > "Peter Gradwell" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > > Only for our IAX outbound service. Our free trial sip
    > > service is free for the first 3 months (4/month there
    > > after).

    > £4.70 including VAT ?

    Yes.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 9, 2006
  20. Dave Saville

    Virgo17 Guest

    <> wrote:

    >If the people you call also have SIP accounts, the call is free anyway,
    >regardless of provider. Can you persuade them to get accounts also..?

    Can I just confirm this. If I have an account with Sipgate and I make
    a VOIP call to the ID of a customer on another provider network not
    listed on the Sipgate associate page, the call is free?

    V.

    Virgo17, May 9, 2006