    I am a Mac user and have no idea what it (they) is called.
    Does anyone know?

    TIA

    mark, Mar 24, 2009

  2. mark

    oneofus Guest

    mark wrote:
    > I have a friend who has windows XP.
    > He used to have a piece of software which allowed him to right click an
    > image (in windows explorer) with an option in the contextual menu to
    > compress the image.
    > I am a Mac user and have no idea what it (they) is called.
    > Does anyone know?
    >
    > TIA

    Irfanview ?

    oneofus, Mar 24, 2009

  3. mark

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 19:24:03 +1300, mark <> wrote:

    >I have a friend who has windows XP.
    >He used to have a piece of software which allowed him to right click an
    >image (in windows explorer) with an option in the contextual menu to
    >compress the image.
    >I am a Mac user and have no idea what it (they) is called.
    >Does anyone know?
    >
    >TIA

    It's one of the Microsoft Power Toyy for XP. Don't think it works in
    Vista.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

    Craig Shore, Mar 24, 2009
  4. mark

    RoyJ Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 19:24:03 +1300, mark <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a friend who has windows XP.
    >> He used to have a piece of software which allowed him to right click an
    >> image (in windows explorer) with an option in the contextual menu to
    >> compress the image.
    >> I am a Mac user and have no idea what it (they) is called.
    >> Does anyone know?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > It's one of the Microsoft Power Toyy for XP. Don't think it works in
    > Vista.
    >
    > http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

    Are you talking about compressing as in reducing file size or
    compressing as in archiving (zip/rar/7zip)?

    RoyJ, Mar 24, 2009
  5. mark

    Woger Guest

    On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 19:24:03 +1300, mark <> wrote:

    >I have a friend who has windows XP.
    >He used to have a piece of software which allowed him to right click an
    >image (in windows explorer) with an option in the contextual menu to
    >compress the image.
    >I am a Mac user and have no idea what it (they) is called.
    >Does anyone know?
    >
    >TIA

    Mac users use Stuffit..

    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6326

    Woger, Mar 25, 2009
  6. mark

    mark Guest

    In article <gqa5v3$72m$>, RoyJ <>
    wrote:

    > Craig Shore wrote:
    > > On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 19:24:03 +1300, mark <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have a friend who has windows XP.
    > >> He used to have a piece of software which allowed him to right click an
    > >> image (in windows explorer) with an option in the contextual menu to
    > >> compress the image.
    > >> I am a Mac user and have no idea what it (they) is called.
    > >> Does anyone know?
    > >>
    > >> TIA

    > > It's one of the Microsoft Power Toyy for XP. Don't think it works in
    > > Vista.
    > >
    > > http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageRes
    > > izerPowertoySetup.exe
    > >

    > Are you talking about compressing as in reducing file size or
    > compressing as in archiving (zip/rar/7zip)?

    File size sorry.
    Friend scans stuff for email attachments (ISPs choke on >1MB
    attachments).
    He is not very computer literate.
    I am looking for him, not myself.

    mark, Mar 25, 2009
  7. mark

    Sam Guest

    mark wrote:
    > In article <gqa5v3$72m$>, RoyJ <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Craig Shore wrote:

    >>> It's one of the Microsoft Power Toyy for XP. Don't think it works in
    >>> Vista.
    >>>
    >>> http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageRes
    >>> izerPowertoySetup.exe
    >>>

    >> Are you talking about compressing as in reducing file size or
    >> compressing as in archiving (zip/rar/7zip)?

    > File size sorry.
    > Friend scans stuff for email attachments (ISPs choke on >1MB
    > attachments).
    > He is not very computer literate.
    > I am looking for him, not myself.

    Don't scan at such a high resolution

    Sam, Mar 25, 2009
  8. mark

    Richard Guest

    mark wrote:

    > File size sorry.
    > Friend scans stuff for email attachments (ISPs choke on >1MB
    > attachments).
    > He is not very computer literate.
    > I am looking for him, not myself.

    Much less then that and its not worth emailing since it will just be a
    pixely mess at the other end.

    Try to get him up to speed on other ways to get files around the place
    instead.

    Richard, Mar 25, 2009
  9. mark

    John S Guest

    On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 15:13:31 +1300, mark wrote:

    > In article <gqa5v3$72m$>, RoyJ <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Craig Shore wrote:

    >>> It's one of the Microsoft Power Toyy for XP. Don't think it works in
    >>> Vista.
    >>>
    >>> http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageRes
    >>> izerPowertoySetup.exe
    >>>

    >> Are you talking about compressing as in reducing file size or
    >> compressing as in archiving (zip/rar/7zip)?

    > File size sorry.
    > Friend scans stuff for email attachments (ISPs choke on >1MB
    > attachments).
    > He is not very computer literate.
    > I am looking for him, not myself.

    I'll endorse RoyJ's recommendation for the XP Powertoys ImageResizer.

    It's easy to use with a right click, and automatically produces the resized
    file in the same folder as the original, with a modified file name
    indicating its size.

    For most purposes choosing "medium" (ie 800x600) for the resultant file
    size will be fine for the recipient to view on a computer screen or TV
    screen, if you don't know what screen resolution the recipient is using.

    Alternatively the "Large" size of 1024x768 will be better for anyone using
    a higher screen resolution but, when viewing, may require scrolling for
    those using a lower screen resolution, which is a bit of a pain.

    Just tried this on one of my digital camera photos, and a 1.3MB file was
    reduced to 195 KB at 1024x768, and 125 KB at 800x600.

    Of course, these lower resolutions won't be satisfactory for producing good
    quality prints - they are intended for viewing on a computer monitor.

    Cheers,

    John S

    John S, Mar 25, 2009
  10. mark

    Me Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > mark wrote:
    >
    >> File size sorry.
    >> Friend scans stuff for email attachments (ISPs choke on >1MB
    >> attachments).
    >> He is not very computer literate.
    >> I am looking for him, not myself.

    > Much less then that and its not worth emailing since it will just be a
    > pixely mess at the other end.

    Really?
    I seem to get pretty reasonable results (for viewing on a computer
    monitor) on image files resized to around 2000x1350 pixels, compressed
    to around 200kb - give or take a bit depending on content.
    With files out of my digital camera, I doubt anyone - assuming that
    they're not aware of what to look for - would even see the difference
    between an uncompressed 16 bit Tiff at 50mb, and a "basic" jpeg at about
    the same compression as above.

    Me, Mar 25, 2009
  11. mark

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-03-25, John S <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 15:13:31 +1300, mark wrote:
    >
    >> In article <gqa5v3$72m$>, RoyJ <>
    >> wrote:

    PIX Resizer. Freeware

    http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

    Gordon, Mar 25, 2009
  12. mark

    RoyJ Guest

    mark wrote:
    > I have a friend who has windows XP.
    > He used to have a piece of software which allowed him to right click an
    > image (in windows explorer) with an option in the contextual menu to
    > compress the image.
    > I am a Mac user and have no idea what it (they) is called.
    > Does anyone know?
    >
    > TIA

    check these links - don't know if they are freeware or not... Do macs
    have freeware apps?

    http://www.fluther.com/disc/20735/what-is-a-good-free-image-resizer-for-mac/

    http://www.macworld.com/article/52776/2006/09/jpegresize.html

    good luck

    RoyJ

    RoyJ, Mar 25, 2009
  13. mark

    Rob S Guest

    RoyJ wrote:
    > mark wrote:
    >> I have a friend who has windows XP.
    >> He used to have a piece of software which allowed him to right click
    >> an image (in windows explorer) with an option in the contextual menu
    >> to compress the image.
    >> I am a Mac user and have no idea what it (they) is called.
    >> Does anyone know?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > check these links - don't know if they are freeware or not... Do macs
    > have freeware apps?
    >
    > http://www.fluther.com/disc/20735/what-is-a-good-free-image-resizer-for-mac/
    >

    > http://www.macworld.com/article/52776/2006/09/jpegresize.html
    >
    > good luck
    >
    > RoyJ

    He is looking for an image resizer for a friend running XP. He's not
    very clear in the OP, but clarifies in a later post.

    http://www.faststone.org/

    http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

    http://www.xemico.com/photogadget/freeware.html

    I've used all three, and they are all easy to use and do a good job.

    --
    Rob
    May the torque be about you.

    Rob S, Mar 26, 2009
  14. mark

    mark Guest

    Thanks for all for help

    mark, Mar 26, 2009
  15. mark

    Richard Guest

    Me wrote:

    > Really?
    > I seem to get pretty reasonable results (for viewing on a computer
    > monitor) on image files resized to around 2000x1350 pixels, compressed
    > to around 200kb - give or take a bit depending on content.
    > With files out of my digital camera, I doubt anyone - assuming that
    > they're not aware of what to look for - would even see the difference
    > between an uncompressed 16 bit Tiff at 50mb, and a "basic" jpeg at about
    > the same compression as above.

    Well it depends on the image, but the stuff I scan which are normally
    magazine articles etc have text that becomes unreadable unless the
    filesizes are about 2-2.5 megs. If it was black text on a white page
    with no pictures/illustrations the it would go heaps lower.

    If they are insistant on emailing it I would be suggesting gmail since
    they are more generous about sizes of them.

    Richard, Mar 26, 2009
  16. In message <gqc88l$dem$>, Sam wrote:

    > Don't scan at such a high resolution

    I like to scan at high resolutions, and shrink down to the final size as part
    of the cleanup processing.

    For example, if you have to make changes to brightness and contrast (or
    levels/curves generally), it's better to do these at the higher resolution.
    Then when you shrink it down, it smooths out the gaps that you introduced
    into the histogram.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 28, 2009
  17. In message <gqf5cf$n8k$>, Richard wrote:

    > If they are insistant on emailing it I would be suggesting gmail since
    > they are more generous about sizes of them.

    Another possibility is to use BitTorrent as a point-to-point file transfer
    protocol.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 28, 2009