    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Apr 17, 2005

  2. Aaron J. Bossig

    Jay G. Guest

    On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:09:04 -0500, Aaron J. Bossig wrote:

    > Hi all.
    >
    > No, I'm not trying to hook up a DVD player to a TV with only
    > RF inputs, I don't need one of those handy Radio Shack boxes.
    > What I'm looking for is advice on a device that does the opposite:
    > takes an RF signal (preferably from an RCA source) and creates a
    > composite signal. These don't seem to be common devices, so I'm
    > asking: What choices do I have, and are some better than others?

    Well, you could buy a cheap VCR with video outputs.

    May I ask why you need one? People here might be better able to help if
    they know the specifics.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Apr 17, 2005

  3. Aaron J. Bossig

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > No, I'm not trying to hook up a DVD player to a TV with only
    > RF inputs, I don't need one of those handy Radio Shack boxes.
    > What I'm looking for is advice on a device that does the opposite:
    > takes an RF signal (preferably from an RCA source) and creates a
    > composite signal. These don't seem to be common devices, so I'm
    > asking: What choices do I have, and are some better than others?

    Can I ask what it is you are trying to do? It would seem to me that
    you probably already have such a device - your VCR (which takes an RF
    signal, and outputs an AV signal.)

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Apr 17, 2005
  4. "Jay G." <> wrote in news:1fhehjehnfxhb$.1pgrtukryj002.dlg@
    40tude.net:

    > On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:09:04 -0500, Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all.
    >>
    >> No, I'm not trying to hook up a DVD player to a TV with only
    >> RF inputs, I don't need one of those handy Radio Shack boxes.
    >> What I'm looking for is advice on a device that does the opposite:
    >> takes an RF signal (preferably from an RCA source) and creates a
    >> composite signal. These don't seem to be common devices, so I'm
    >> asking: What choices do I have, and are some better than others?

    > Well, you could buy a cheap VCR with video outputs.

    I could, but that just seems clunky.

    > May I ask why you need one? People here might be better able to help if
    > they know the specifics.

    I recently got a top-loading NES off of eBay, which has many nice features,
    but a composite out is not one of them. It only has RF out, and I'm trying
    to consider my options: do a mod to put A/V ports on it, or get a very
    clean RF signal out, and demodulate from there?

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Apr 17, 2005
  5. Aaron J. Bossig

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Aaron J. Bossig" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all.
    >
    > No, I'm not trying to hook up a DVD player to a TV with only
    > RF inputs, I don't need one of those handy Radio Shack boxes.
    > What I'm looking for is advice on a device that does the opposite:
    > takes an RF signal (preferably from an RCA source) and creates a
    > composite signal. These don't seem to be common devices, so I'm
    > asking: What choices do I have, and are some better than others?

    "RF Demodulator" is another name for "tuner."

    Or are you looking for an AC-3 demodulator for a Laserdisc player?

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Apr 17, 2005
  6. Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    > "Jay G." <> wrote in news:1fhehjehnfxhb$.1pgrtukryj002.dlg@
    > 40tude.net:
    >

    >>On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:09:04 -0500, Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi all.
    >>>
    >>>No, I'm not trying to hook up a DVD player to a TV with only
    >>>RF inputs, I don't need one of those handy Radio Shack boxes.
    >>>What I'm looking for is advice on a device that does the opposite:
    >>>takes an RF signal (preferably from an RCA source) and creates a
    >>>composite signal. These don't seem to be common devices, so I'm
    >>>asking: What choices do I have, and are some better than others?

    >>Well, you could buy a cheap VCR with video outputs.

    > I could, but that just seems clunky.
    >

    >>May I ask why you need one? People here might be better able to help if
    >>they know the specifics.

    > I recently got a top-loading NES off of eBay, which has many nice features,
    > but a composite out is not one of them. It only has RF out, and I'm trying
    > to consider my options: do a mod to put A/V ports on it, or get a very
    > clean RF signal out, and demodulate from there?

    Just out of curiosity, why'd you go the toploading route? The original
    NES has composite video and mono audio out in addition to RF.

    Nicholas Andrade, Apr 17, 2005
  7. Nicholas Andrade <> wrote in

    >> I recently got a top-loading NES off of eBay, which has many nice
    >> features, but a composite out is not one of them. It only has RF
    >> out, and I'm trying to consider my options: do a mod to put A/V
    >> ports on it, or get a very clean RF signal out, and demodulate from
    >> there?
    >>

    > Just out of curiosity, why'd you go the toploading route? The
    > original NES has composite video and mono audio out in addition to RF.

    They're more reliable in terms of getting the games to start up correctly
    the first time around.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Apr 17, 2005
  8. Aaron J. Bossig

    Impmon Guest

    <> wrote:

    >What choices do I have, and are some better than others?

    Your VCR will do the trick easy. just plug the RF source into RF (or
    antenna/cable) input and take AV out and you're set.

    Impmon, Apr 17, 2005
  9. Aaron J. Bossig

    Impmon Guest

    On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 23:05:41 -0500, "Aaron J. Bossig"
    <> wrote:

    >> Just out of curiosity, why'd you go the toploading route? The
    >> original NES has composite video and mono audio out in addition to RF.

    >They're more reliable in terms of getting the games to start up correctly
    >the first time around.

    Personally I don't see paying $100 for a top loading is really worth
    it when a $10 toaster box with a $5 new connector plus a bottle of
    rubbing alcohol (as close to 100% alcohol as possible) and a bag of
    Q-Tips to clean the NES carts. Cheaper in the long run.

    I've replaced the connector in one of my NES oh about 5 or 6 years ago
    when MCM was the only source before resllers flooded eBay and I
    haven't had any problem since then.

    If you must keep the top loading NES, there are already plans on
    internet to add AV support to top loading NES but it will also produce
    horizontal lines, this is a design flaw of top loading NES deck. Or
    just look for a cheap VCR player (not recorder) as they are often
    smaller without record feature.

    Impmon, Apr 17, 2005
  10. Aaron J. Bossig

    Jay G. Guest

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 05:12:23 -0400, Impmon wrote:

    > If you must keep the top loading NES, there are already plans on
    > internet to add AV support to top loading NES but it will also produce
    > horizontal lines, this is a design flaw of top loading NES deck.

    Here's a link to plans for adding an A/V output:
    http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/nes2avmod.htm

    It doesn't mention the horizontal lines

    > Or just look for a cheap VCR player (not recorder) as they are often
    > smaller without record feature.

    The problem is most Video Cassette Players don't have built-in tuners,
    since they don't need one to record.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Apr 17, 2005
  11. Aaron J. Bossig

    theyak Guest

    In article <Xns963AECCF139A9linkvb06SpammersWill@204.186.200.105>,
    says...
    > "Jay G." <> wrote in news:1fhehjehnfxhb$.1pgrtukryj002.dlg@
    > 40tude.net:
    >
    > > On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:09:04 -0500, Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi all.
    > >>
    > >> No, I'm not trying to hook up a DVD player to a TV with only
    > >> RF inputs, I don't need one of those handy Radio Shack boxes.
    > >> What I'm looking for is advice on a device that does the opposite:
    > >> takes an RF signal (preferably from an RCA source) and creates a
    > >> composite signal. These don't seem to be common devices, so I'm
    > >> asking: What choices do I have, and are some better than others?

    > > Well, you could buy a cheap VCR with video outputs.

    > I could, but that just seems clunky.
    >
    > > May I ask why you need one? People here might be better able to help if
    > > they know the specifics.

    > I recently got a top-loading NES off of eBay, which has many nice features,
    > but a composite out is not one of them. It only has RF out, and I'm trying
    > to consider my options: do a mod to put A/V ports on it, or get a very
    > clean RF signal out, and demodulate from there?

    You should get the rf adapter that nintendo shipped with the product. I
    have one sitting in a cabinet somewhere.

    theyak, Apr 17, 2005
  12. Aaron J. Bossig

    sanpablo Guest

    On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 23:21:17 -0400, "Rich Clark"
    <> wrote:

    >"Aaron J. Bossig" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all.
    >>
    >> No, I'm not trying to hook up a DVD player to a TV with only
    >> RF inputs, I don't need one of those handy Radio Shack boxes.
    >> What I'm looking for is advice on a device that does the opposite:
    >> takes an RF signal (preferably from an RCA source) and creates a
    >> composite signal. These don't seem to be common devices, so I'm
    >> asking: What choices do I have, and are some better than others?

    >"RF Demodulator" is another name for "tuner."
    >
    >Or are you looking for an AC-3 demodulator for a Laserdisc player?
    >
    >RichC

    RichC, so far off, I've never seen that before.

    http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebCommerce/mcm/en_US/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=33-2060&N=4

    I picked this up on sale for $19.99 from this company

    sanpablo, Apr 17, 2005
  13. Aaron J. Bossig

    Rich Clark Guest

    "sanpablo" <> wrote in message

    >>Or are you looking for an AC-3 demodulator for a Laserdisc player?
    >>
    >>RichC
    >>

    > RichC, so far off, I've never seen that before.

    What have you never seen before? That Laserdiscs that included DD AC-3 (or
    DTS) 5.1 carried it as a modulated track on one of the analog audio
    channels, and required an RF demodulator to turn it into a signal that the
    decoder could handle?

    > http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebCommerce/mcm/en_US/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=33-2060&N=4
    >
    > I picked this up on sale for $19.99 from this company

    Or the concept that a device like this is a TV tuner (in this case, one that
    can only tune VHF Channel 3)?

    The OP didn't originally say what he wanted his demodulator for, so it could
    have been anything.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Apr 17, 2005
  14. "Jay G." <> wrote in news:jt0lnhlfruh.1477oceqr4ywf.dlg@
    40tude.net:

    > On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 05:12:23 -0400, Impmon wrote:
    >>
    >> If you must keep the top loading NES, there are already plans on
    >> internet to add AV support to top loading NES but it will also produce
    >> horizontal lines, this is a design flaw of top loading NES deck.

    > Here's a link to plans for adding an A/V output:
    > http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/nes2avmod.htm
    >
    > It doesn't mention the horizontal lines

    The horizontal line issue is a seperate problem, which as far
    as I can tell is an issue with the PPU. I'm researching that too.

    >> Or just look for a cheap VCR player (not recorder) as they are often
    >> smaller without record feature.

    > The problem is most Video Cassette Players don't have built-in tuners,
    > since they don't need one to record.

    I've thought of this too, I'm just looking for other options.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Apr 18, 2005
  15. "Rich Clark" <> wrote in

    > The OP didn't originally say what he wanted his demodulator for, so it
    > could have been anything.

    Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't think it was all that important, and I
    didn't want to venture too far OT.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Apr 18, 2005
  16. "Aaron J. Bossig" <> wrote in message news:<Xns963AECCF139A9linkvb06SpammersWill@204.186.200.105>...
    > "Jay G." <> wrote in news:1fhehjehnfxhb$.1pgrtukryj002.dlg@
    > 40tude.net:
    >
    > > On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:09:04 -0500, Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi all.
    > >>
    > >> No, I'm not trying to hook up a DVD player to a TV with only
    > >> RF inputs, I don't need one of those handy Radio Shack boxes.
    > >> What I'm looking for is advice on a device that does the opposite:
    > >> takes an RF signal (preferably from an RCA source) and creates a
    > >> composite signal. These don't seem to be common devices, so I'm
    > >> asking: What choices do I have, and are some better than others?

    > > Well, you could buy a cheap VCR with video outputs.

    > I could, but that just seems clunky.
    >
    > > May I ask why you need one? People here might be better able to help if
    > > they know the specifics.

    > I recently got a top-loading NES off of eBay, which has many nice features,
    > but a composite out is not one of them. It only has RF out, and I'm trying
    > to consider my options: do a mod to put A/V ports on it, or get a very
    > clean RF signal out, and demodulate from there?

    Anything that I've looked inside of that has an RF modulator has
    it in a little box so it's easy to trace. If the pins aren't
    outright identified, there is a limited number going into
    the module to make it easy to trace.

    Of course, I've seen modulators that don't take composite video
    in, complicating things.

    I seem to recall that at one time you could get cable converters
    that had audio and composite out. At least, there were stereo
    adaptors to go with them, and the only way they could decode
    the audio signal is if there was a video demodulator inside
    the cable converter.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Apr 18, 2005
  17. Aaron J. Bossig

    GMAN Guest

    In article <Xns963AECCF139A9linkvb06SpammersWill@204.186.200.105>, "Aaron J. Bossig" <> wrote:
    >"Jay G." <> wrote in news:1fhehjehnfxhb$.1pgrtukryj002.dlg@
    >40tude.net:
    >
    >> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:09:04 -0500, Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all.
    >>>
    >>> No, I'm not trying to hook up a DVD player to a TV with only
    >>> RF inputs, I don't need one of those handy Radio Shack boxes.
    >>> What I'm looking for is advice on a device that does the opposite:
    >>> takes an RF signal (preferably from an RCA source) and creates a
    >>> composite signal. These don't seem to be common devices, so I'm
    >>> asking: What choices do I have, and are some better than others?

    >> Well, you could buy a cheap VCR with video outputs.

    >I could, but that just seems clunky.
    >
    >> May I ask why you need one? People here might be better able to help if
    >> they know the specifics.

    >I recently got a top-loading NES off of eBay, which has many nice features,
    >but a composite out is not one of them. It only has RF out, and I'm trying
    >to consider my options: do a mod to put A/V ports on it, or get a very
    >clean RF signal out, and demodulate from there?

    I would do the mod, its easy to tap into the composite signals before they
    enter the Rf modulator that is in the NES.

    It will be much cleaner to tap before it exits the NES.

    GMAN, Apr 18, 2005
  18. Aaron J. Bossig

    sanpablo Guest

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:14:39 -0400, "Rich Clark"
    <> wrote:

    >"sanpablo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>>Or are you looking for an AC-3 demodulator for a Laserdisc player?
    >>>
    >>>RichC
    >>>

    >> RichC, so far off, I've never seen that before.

    >What have you never seen before? That Laserdiscs that included DD AC-3 (or
    >DTS) 5.1 carried it as a modulated track on one of the analog audio
    >channels, and required an RF demodulator to turn it into a signal that the
    >decoder could handle?
    >>
    >> http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebCommerce/mcm/en_US/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=33-2060&N=4
    >>
    >> I picked this up on sale for $19.99 from this company

    >Or the concept that a device like this is a TV tuner (in this case, one that
    >can only tune VHF Channel 3)?
    >
    >The OP didn't originally say what he wanted his demodulator for, so it could
    >have been anything.
    >
    >RichC

    The OP was very clear on what he was looking for. It had nothing to do
    with DD AC-3. That was obvious.

    sanpablo, Apr 18, 2005
  19. Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    > Nicholas Andrade <> wrote in
    >
    >>>I recently got a top-loading NES off of eBay, which has many nice
    >>>features, but a composite out is not one of them. It only has RF
    >>>out, and I'm trying to consider my options: do a mod to put A/V
    >>>ports on it, or get a very clean RF signal out, and demodulate from
    >>>there?
    >>>

    >>Just out of curiosity, why'd you go the toploading route? The
    >>original NES has composite video and mono audio out in addition to RF.

    > They're more reliable in terms of getting the games to start up correctly
    > the first time around.

    Interesting, I hadn't heard that. I own two frontloading NES's and I've
    found I have great success getting my games to read when I connect them
    with a Game Genie inbetween (you don't have to enter any codes).
    Sometimes a good cleaning with rubbing alcohol is necessary, but in
    general I haven't had any problems and I have a fairly sizeable
    collection of games. My most reliable system though is definitely my
    Genesis, I think it can still play every game I own and the only problem
    I ever had with it was solved by readjusting some internal cables on my 32X.

    Nicholas Andrade, Apr 18, 2005
  20. Aaron J. Bossig

    Rich Clark Guest

    sanpablo wrote:

    > The OP was very clear on what he was looking for. It had nothing to

    do
    > with DD AC-3. That was obvious.

    Here's the original post in its entirety, moron. Tell me what's "clear
    on what he was looking for"? Especially since everybody else who
    responded also asked him to clarify the applications:

    Rich Clark, Apr 18, 2005