Looking for Recommendations for a New PC

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Daave, May 6, 2006.

  1. Daave

    Daave Guest

    Well, it's been six years since I purchased my current PC, so I'm
    starting to research what I might like for my next.

    In addition to the ordinary e-mailing, Web surfing, Usenet, etc., I
    would like to edit both audio and video. I am *not* a gamer.

    As everybody else, I'm bombarded with ads for Dells. Worth considering?

    I guess my main questions are about:

    motherboard/processor (dual?)
    hard drive size
    external hard drive, too?
    RAM
    video card
    audio card

    Am I forgetting anything? Anything else I should look for?

    TIA.

    --
    Dave
    Daave, May 6, 2006

  2. Daave

    Trax Guest

    "Daave" <> wrote:

    |>Well, it's been six years since I purchased my current PC, so I'm
    |>starting to research what I might like for my next.
    |>
    |>In addition to the ordinary e-mailing, Web surfing, Usenet, etc., I
    |>would like to edit both audio and video. I am *not* a gamer.
    |>
    |>As everybody else, I'm bombarded with ads for Dells. Worth considering?

    Yes, they are 50% off right now

    *..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:- http://www.nasa.gov/mov/148112main_pia08118-320-cc.mov
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* NASA and Partners Release New Movies Of Titan -16megs
    Trax, May 6, 2006

  3. Daave

    Budweiser Guest

    "Daave" <> wrote in message
    > Well, it's been six years since I purchased my current PC, so I'm
    > starting to research what I might like for my next.
    >
    > In addition to the ordinary e-mailing, Web surfing, Usenet, etc., I
    > would like to edit both audio and video. I am *not* a gamer.
    >
    > As everybody else, I'm bombarded with ads for Dells. Worth considering?
    >
    > I guess my main questions are about:
    >
    > motherboard/processor (dual?)
    > hard drive size
    > external hard drive, too?
    > RAM
    > video card
    > audio card
    >
    > Am I forgetting anything? Anything else I should look for?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > --
    > Dave

    Building your own is realy not the cheapest option these days.
    So many companies offer box plus packages it is unreal.
    Dells kit is in the same area--good value and upgradeable.

    Sound and video edit (assuming you have relavant software ) have a common
    requirement ---loads of spare HD space and more RAM than you can shake a
    stick at, quality add in graphics and sound cards also help.

    Set your budget and stick to it, go for bang for buck ---you can add in
    later --remember todays machines are tomorrows junk--it can prove worthwhile
    buying top end yesterday equipment and collecting pro cards to suit as the
    funds allow.

    From your original question, all your sound and vid can be editted by a
    basic machine--just the quality that changes---are you about to make a
    disney or edit home tapes?
    You will "see" or percieve a faster machine from a better processor ----ooh
    look it loads faster etc.
    Having a Ferrari in the garage generally ends up in expensive bills.

    Ask yourself why you want it, what you need it for, does an extra three
    minutes matter?

    Then open the wallet.
    Budweiser, May 6, 2006
  4. Daave wrote:
    > Well, it's been six years since I purchased my current PC, so I'm
    > starting to research what I might like for my next.
    >
    > In addition to the ordinary e-mailing, Web surfing, Usenet, etc., I
    > would like to edit both audio and video. I am *not* a gamer.
    >
    > As everybody else, I'm bombarded with ads for Dells. Worth considering?
    >
    > I guess my main questions are about:
    >
    > motherboard/processor (dual?)
    > hard drive size
    > external hard drive, too?
    > RAM
    > video card
    > audio card
    >
    > Am I forgetting anything? Anything else I should look for?
    >
    > TIA.

    An operating system.
    Puss in boots, May 6, 2006
  5. Daave wrote:
    > Well, it's been six years since I purchased my current PC, so I'm
    > starting to research what I might like for my next.
    >
    > In addition to the ordinary e-mailing, Web surfing, Usenet, etc., I
    > would like to edit both audio and video. I am *not* a gamer.
    >
    > As everybody else, I'm bombarded with ads for Dells. Worth considering?
    >
    > I guess my main questions are about:
    >
    > motherboard/processor (dual?)
    > hard drive size
    > external hard drive, too?
    > RAM
    > video card
    > audio card
    >
    > Am I forgetting anything? Anything else I should look for?
    >
    > TIA.

    Dave, Dell is cheap for a reason other than the massive business that
    they conduct. The tech support is the worst in the industry, bar
    none, it is horrible. Dell computers do not upgrade well at all, it
    is pretty much buy what you want and that is just about all you will
    ever have. So, buy the best that you can comfortably afford.

    On the other hand, they do support their boxes well, if something goes
    wrong with it while under warranty, you will have prompt service.
    Either a replacement part if you wish or a person sent out to fix it
    for you. If not that, and the problem is unresolvable, they will also
    quickly replace your whole computer.

    Overall, Dell is not what they used to be, but still make a decent
    computer that will do just about anything you want a computer to do,
    unless you are a hard core, living, breathing, gamer fanatic that has
    to have the absolute best that there is. Also, all Dell's come with
    Intel processors, period.

    Altie
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ctrl=A4/Alt=A4/Del=A4=AE?=, May 6, 2006
  6. Daave

    Daave Guest

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®" <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net
    wrote:

    > Dell computers do not upgrade well at all, it
    > is pretty much buy what you want and that is just about all you will
    > ever have. So, buy the best that you can comfortably afford.

    Don't upgrade well? I always thought that you just "popped the hood" and
    swapped cards. I guess there are other considerations then. What
    specifically is difficult to upgrade in a Dell?

    > Also, all Dell's come with Intel processors, period.

    As long as the processor is fast enough, why should I be concerned that
    it's not another brand (I know of AMD; any others?)?

    --
    Dave
    Daave, May 6, 2006
  7. Daave

    Daave Guest

    Puss in boots wrote:
    > Daave wrote:

    >> Am I forgetting anything? Anything else I should look for?

    > An operating system.

    I assumed I'd be going with Windows XP.

    Speaking of...

    Does anyone here have experience with XP Media Center 2005 Edition? Is
    it basically a gimmick, or does it have significant advantages over
    regular XP? And is XP Pro advantageous? (I wouldn't be using my new PC
    as a server)

    --
    Dave
    Daave, May 6, 2006
  8. Daave

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 06 May 2006 05:42:38 GMT, "Daave" <>
    wrote:

    >Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®" <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net
    >wrote:
    >
    >> Dell computers do not upgrade well at all, it
    >> is pretty much buy what you want and that is just about all you will
    >> ever have. So, buy the best that you can comfortably afford.

    >Don't upgrade well? I always thought that you just "popped the hood" and
    >swapped cards. I guess there are other considerations then. What
    >specifically is difficult to upgrade in a Dell?

    Not much, depending on the motherboard limitations. I've never had a problem
    fixing or upgrading any Dells I've worked on. You might have to disable some
    onboard stuff if you want to run your own cards, and you do have to check what
    the motherboard will support before you buy one if you think you're going to
    want to do certain upgrades, but they're a lot easier to work on than HPs are.

    <snip>

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r
    Mara, May 6, 2006
  9. Daave

    Trax Guest

    "Daave" <> wrote:

    |>Puss in boots wrote:

    |>> An operating system.

    |>I assumed I'd be going with Windows XP.

    |>Speaking of...
    |>
    |>Does anyone here have experience with XP Media Center 2005 Edition? Is
    |>it basically a gimmick, or does it have significant advantages over
    |>regular XP? And is XP Pro advantageous? (I wouldn't be using my new PC
    |>as a server)

    Big lawsuit, Microsoft lost, had to sale XP without WMP.

    So now it's called media center cause it has WMP.

    --
    *..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    Trax, May 6, 2006
  10. Daave

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-05-06, Trax <> wrote:

    >|>I assumed I'd be going with Windows XP.
    >
    >|>Speaking of...
    >|>
    >|>Does anyone here have experience with XP Media Center 2005 Edition? Is
    >|>it basically a gimmick, or does it have significant advantages over
    >|>regular XP? And is XP Pro advantageous? (I wouldn't be using my new PC
    >|>as a server)
    >
    > Big lawsuit, Microsoft lost, had to sale XP without WMP.
    >
    > So now it's called media center cause it has WMP.

    Not that the 'other one' actually doesn't have WMP; it just doesn't have
    a pointy-clicky icon for it. Or so the European court have been shown.

    Of course, merely being forced to pay Microsoft for the privilege of
    having XP pre-installed on a ready-made computer, doesn't mean that you
    actually have to use it.

    Mac OS has a long history of being the preferred OS for people deeply into
    audio-visual stuff. Linux can do it too, naturally.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, May 6, 2006
  11. Daave

    beenthere Guest

    "Whiskers" <> wrote in message

    >> Big lawsuit, Microsoft lost, had to sale XP without WMP.
    >>
    >> So now it's called media center cause it has WMP.

    > Not that the 'other one' actually doesn't have WMP; it just doesn't have
    > a pointy-clicky icon for it. Or so the European court have been shown.
    >
    > Of course, merely being forced to pay Microsoft for the privilege of
    > having XP pre-installed on a ready-made computer, doesn't mean that you
    > actually have to use it.
    >
    > Mac OS has a long history of being the preferred OS for people deeply into
    > audio-visual stuff. Linux can do it too, naturally.

    I`d like to have linux, (`cos I`m open minded) but I like my music.
    Trouble is, linux Can`t do it for me.
    I`ve got a Creative x-fi card and there is no linux software
    for it (and I`m not clever enough to write my own <g>)
    beenthere, May 6, 2006
  12. Daave

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-05-06, beenthere <> wrote:

    > "Whiskers" <> wrote in message

    >>> Big lawsuit, Microsoft lost, had to sale XP without WMP.
    >>>
    >>> So now it's called media center cause it has WMP.

    >> Not that the 'other one' actually doesn't have WMP; it just doesn't have
    >> a pointy-clicky icon for it. Or so the European court have been shown.
    >>
    >> Of course, merely being forced to pay Microsoft for the privilege of
    >> having XP pre-installed on a ready-made computer, doesn't mean that you
    >> actually have to use it.
    >>
    >> Mac OS has a long history of being the preferred OS for people deeply into
    >> audio-visual stuff. Linux can do it too, naturally.
    >>

    > I`d like to have linux, (`cos I`m open minded) but I like my music.
    > Trouble is, linux Can`t do it for me.
    > I`ve got a Creative x-fi card and there is no linux software
    > for it (and I`m not clever enough to write my own <g>)

    That seems to be true, sadly :(( A good reason not to buy 'Creative
    Labs' products in future. Unless they mend their ways, of course!

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, May 6, 2006
  13. Daave

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Mara spewed forth:
    > On Sat, 06 May 2006 05:42:38 GMT, "Daave"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®" <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dell computers do not upgrade well at all, it
    >>> is pretty much buy what you want and that is just about all you will
    >>> ever have. So, buy the best that you can comfortably afford.

    >> Don't upgrade well? I always thought that you just "popped the hood"
    >> and swapped cards. I guess there are other considerations then. What
    >> specifically is difficult to upgrade in a Dell?

    > Not much, depending on the motherboard limitations. I've never had a
    > problem fixing or upgrading any Dells I've worked on. You might have
    > to disable some onboard stuff if you want to run your own cards, and
    > you do have to check what the motherboard will support before you buy
    > one if you think you're going to want to do certain upgrades, but
    > they're a lot easier to work on than HPs are.

    Can't argue with that. My HP has put me through h***.

    We have mostly Dell computers at work. I've added drives, video cards,
    memory, PCI cards for extra expansion (I need two serial ports, not one),
    etc., without ever having any complications.

    Toolman Tim, May 7, 2006
  14. Daave

    Spuds Guest

    On Sat, 6 May 2006 16:22:24 -0700, "Toolman Tim" <>
    wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Mara spewed forth:
    >> On Sat, 06 May 2006 05:42:38 GMT, "Daave"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®" <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net

    >>> Don't upgrade well? I always thought that you just "popped the hood"
    >>> and swapped cards. I guess there are other considerations then. What
    >>> specifically is difficult to upgrade in a Dell?

    >> Not much, depending on the motherboard limitations. I've never had a
    >> problem fixing or upgrading any Dells I've worked on. You might have
    >> to disable some onboard stuff if you want to run your own cards, and
    >> you do have to check what the motherboard will support before you buy
    >> one if you think you're going to want to do certain upgrades, but
    >> they're a lot easier to work on than HPs are.
    >>

    >Can't argue with that. My HP has put me through h***.
    >
    >We have mostly Dell computers at work. I've added drives, video cards,
    >memory, PCI cards for extra expansion (I need two serial ports, not one),
    >etc., without ever having any complications.

    Tim, do you know who supplies Dell motherboards?
    If you build a man a fire, he will be warm for a day.
    If you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life.
    Spuds, May 7, 2006
  15. Daave

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Spuds spewed forth:
    > On Sat, 6 May 2006 16:22:24 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In news:,
    >> Mara spewed forth:

    >>> Not much, depending on the motherboard limitations. I've never had a
    >>> problem fixing or upgrading any Dells I've worked on. You might have
    >>> to disable some onboard stuff if you want to run your own cards, and
    >>> you do have to check what the motherboard will support before you
    >>> buy one if you think you're going to want to do certain upgrades,
    >>> but they're a lot easier to work on than HPs are.
    >>>

    >> Can't argue with that. My HP has put me through h***.
    >>
    >> We have mostly Dell computers at work. I've added drives, video
    >> cards, memory, PCI cards for extra expansion (I need two serial
    >> ports, not one), etc., without ever having any complications.

    > Tim, do you know who supplies Dell motherboards?

    The last one I replaced was manufactured by Intel. But the system was about
    3 years old, so I don't know if they still are.

    Toolman Tim, May 7, 2006
  16. Daave

    Spuds Guest

    On Sat, 6 May 2006 19:35:32 -0700, "Toolman Tim" <>
    wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Spuds spewed forth:
    >> On Sat, 6 May 2006 16:22:24 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In news:,
    >>> Mara spewed forth:

    >>> Can't argue with that. My HP has put me through h***.
    >>>
    >>> We have mostly Dell computers at work. I've added drives, video
    >>> cards, memory, PCI cards for extra expansion (I need two serial
    >>> ports, not one), etc., without ever having any complications.

    >> Tim, do you know who supplies Dell motherboards?

    >The last one I replaced was manufactured by Intel. But the system was about
    >3 years old, so I don't know if they still are.

    That's consistent with what I've heard. Thanks.
    Spuds, May 7, 2006