    Cisco routers, good or bad? What brands? Any drawbacks or things to
    consider, particularly going into a Cisco 7206 DS3 card?

    Thanks in advance.
    Pasquale, Jan 23, 2004

  2. "Pasquale" <> writes:
    >My problem is that we ordered a couple of DS3's and discovered that the
    >demarc is in our basement in the telco room. Our router is in the 40th
    >floor of our building. I don't want to take a chance at reaching the
    >maximum distance of 450 feet for the coax pair, so I'm looking at installing
    >fiber. I've seen a few DS3 modems out there that look like they might work.

    >[Q] Has anyone had any experience with DS3 modems/extenders working with
    >Cisco routers, good or bad? What brands? Any drawbacks or things to
    >consider, particularly going into a Cisco 7206 DS3 card?

    The DS3 fiber loop convertors are all straight forward. Coax goes in and
    fiber comes out. I think we've used the Adtran and Transition Engineering
    units with zero problems. The Transition ones get a leg up for
    having units that can do multimode fiber (if you have that installed)
    as well as the more typical (and expensive) singlemode fiber units.

    I wouldn't worry too much about it, its pretty standard technology
    now-a-days and is about the same as using a media-convertor for ethernet.
    --
    Doug McIntyre
    Network Engineer/Jack of All Trades
    Doug McIntyre, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Pasquale

    Pasquale Guest

    > The DS3 fiber loop convertors are all straight forward. Coax goes in and
    > fiber comes out. I think we've used the Adtran and Transition Engineering
    > units with zero problems. The Transition ones get a leg up for
    > having units that can do multimode fiber (if you have that installed)
    > as well as the more typical (and expensive) singlemode fiber units.
    >
    > I wouldn't worry too much about it, its pretty standard technology
    > now-a-days and is about the same as using a media-convertor for ethernet.
    > --
    > Doug McIntyre
    > Network Engineer/Jack of All Trades
    > Vector Internet Services, Inc.

    I just did some research on the Transition DS3 converters and I noticed some
    key benefits, like available redundant power supplies, SNMP network
    management (important, since physical access will be difficult) and as an
    added bonus, they have a lifetime warranty!

    Thanks for the tip!
    Pasquale, Jan 23, 2004