    OUISoft.com | SharewareOutlet.com | RealEstateShareware.com | ComputerStuffCheap.com
    president/marketing chair, Association of Shareware Professionals
    www.asp-shareware.org |
    Ed L. Pulliam, Apr 16, 2006

  2. Ed L. Pulliam

    Zitty Guest

    "Ed L. Pulliam" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm looking for a light duty (Small Office/Home Office) single user OCR
    > software recommendation.
    >
    > I really don't want to spend US$ 200 - 400, but it doesn't have to be
    > free either.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > Ed L. Pulliam
    > OUISoft.com | SharewareOutlet.com | RealEstateShareware.com |
    > ComputerStuffCheap.com
    > president/marketing chair, Association of Shareware Professionals
    > www.asp-shareware.org |

    Hmm.. I'd of thought a president/marketing chair of the Association of
    Shareware Professionals would have at least *some* idea how to use a search
    engine like Google......
    Zitty, Apr 17, 2006

  3. Ed L. Pulliam

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:5dA0g.22669$,
    Zitty spewed forth:
    > "Ed L. Pulliam" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> I'm looking for a light duty (Small Office/Home Office) single user
    >> OCR software recommendation.
    >>
    >> I really don't want to spend US$ 200 - 400, but it doesn't have to be
    >> free either.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ed L. Pulliam
    >> OUISoft.com | SharewareOutlet.com | RealEstateShareware.com |
    >> ComputerStuffCheap.com
    >> president/marketing chair, Association of Shareware Professionals
    >> www.asp-shareware.org |

    > Hmm.. I'd of thought a president/marketing chair of the Association of
    > Shareware Professionals would have at least *some* idea how to use a
    > search engine like Google......

    Not to mention providing OS info and what scanner he's using. After all,
    every scanner I've ever bought included a basic OCR program. When I've tried
    a purchased version of OCR software, it wasn't significantly better than the
    one that came with the scanner.

    --
    My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
    God and I didn't.
    Toolman Tim, Apr 17, 2006
  4. Ed L. Pulliam

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-04-16, Ed L. Pulliam <> wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm looking for a light duty (Small Office/Home Office) single user OCR
    > software recommendation.
    >
    > I really don't want to spend US$ 200 - 400, but it doesn't have to be
    > free either.
    >
    > TIA

    I use:

    Name: gocr
    Version: 0.39-2mdk
    Size: 446 KB

    under the GNU General Public License. It reads images in many formats
    (pnm, pbm, pgm, ppm, some pcx and tga image files (or PNM from stdin); if
    pnm-tools installed and running linux-like system you can also use pnm.gz,
    pnm.bz2, png, jpg, tiff, gif, bmp and others) and outputs a text file.

    To convert files into a format that GOCR can read, I use the 'convert'
    utility from ImageMagick.

    I use the Gimp to knock files into shape if they aren't good enough to
    start with, or to remove extraneous stuff.

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Apr 17, 2006