    call it.
    Does anyone have experience with one that is known to work well with
    this?

    Mike, Aug 30, 2008

  2. Hi
    Extending Wireless is highly dependent on the environment. A Range booster
    might help, many times it does not.
    The general approach that I take for Coverage issues is the following.
    The best way is to lay few CAT6 cables to central locations in the house,
    install Access Points, or Cable/DSL Routers configured as an Access Points
    (Using a Wireless Cable/DSL Router as a Switch with an Access Point ), and
    connect them to the Main Router.
    You do not want/can not/hate/your client hate to lay Cables.
    Buy a Pair of Wireless Routers that can do WDS (Zyxel, SMC, Belkin have
    models that do WDS as is out of the Box.
    Linksys WRT54GL can do WDS when flashed with DD-WRT firmware.
    Using a Laptop loaded with Netstumbler, do a Wireless survey in the house,
    http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/
    According to the Netstumbler's signal strength reading, identify spots that
    have strong signal, and spot with weak or No signal,
    Evaluate how you can cover the space and start placing WDS units.
    Additional Wireless Routers in WDS Mode (Wireless Network - Configuration
    Modes. ) has to be placed in spots were the signal is good about Half way to
    the dead spots.
    How many WDS units are needed? It depends on your specific environment (that
    is a good the reason to buying WDS units one at the time, try it, and decide
    on the Next step).
    Otherwise.
    Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Wireless Modes - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
    Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
    Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 31, 2008

  3. Mike

    Guest

    On Aug 30, 11:58 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    <> wrote:
    > Hi
    > Extending Wireless is highly dependent on the environment. A Range booster
    > might help, many times it does not.
    > The general approach that I take for Coverage issues is the following.
    > The best way is to lay few CAT6 cables to central locations in the house,
    > install Access Points, or Cable/DSL Routers configured as an Access Points
    > (Using a Wireless Cable/DSL Router as a Switch with an Access Point ), and
    > connect them to the Main Router.
    > You do not want/can not/hate/your client hate to lay Cables.
    > Buy a Pair of Wireless Routers that can do WDS (Zyxel, SMC, Belkin have
    > models that do WDS as is out of the Box.
    > Linksys WRT54GL can do WDS when flashed with DD-WRT firmware.
    > Using a Laptop loaded with  Netstumbler, do a Wireless survey in the house,http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/
    > According to the Netstumbler's signal strength reading, identify spots that
    > have strong signal, and spot with weak or No signal,
    > Evaluate how you can cover the space and start placing WDS units.
    > Additional Wireless Routers in WDS Mode (Wireless Network - Configuration
    > Modes. ) has to be placed in spots were the signal is good about Half way to
    > the dead spots.
    > How many WDS units are needed? It depends on your specific environment (that
    > is a good the reason to buying WDS units one at the time, try it, and decide
    > on the Next step).
    > Otherwise.
    > Extending Distance -http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html
    > Wireless Router as an AP -  http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    > Wireless Modes -http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
    > Wireless Bridging -http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
    > Hi Gain Antenna -  http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Mike" <> wrote in message

    > >I have ATT's Uverse servicce with the 2wire wireless modem & am
    > > looking for a range extender, signal booster or whatever you want to
    > > call it.
    > > Does anyone have experience with one that is known to work well with
    > > this?- Hide quoted text -

    Mike,

    Check out my biquad antennas that I make and sell! They really work
    well!
    I'll give you a money back guarantee if it doesn't work buddy.
    Get a USB adapter that has a jack for an external antena and just
    plug in the Biquad!
    Check out my site>> biquadantenna.com
    Hook this baby up to your router and point it in the desired direction
    and it will extend your range!

    Pete

    , Sep 4, 2008
  4. Mike

    Phil Guest

    I am writing this letter to ALL Wireless Router manufacturers.
    I have a Linksys Wireless Router Model:BEFW11S4. It is 7 years (yes, count
    them, all of seven little years) old. I have visited the Linksys website
    numerous times trying to set up the WEP/WPA security on that wireless router
    (as all responsible wireless router owners should!). I found that there are
    no links to any wireless router setting websites that are congruent with the
    screen shots from Linksys' own self help technical support site. I have had
    to call Linksys several times to resolve this issue only to be placed on hold
    for lengthy times (sometimes my call was dropped and I had to start over ....
    how sad for such a large company to have such poorly trained phone
    receptionists!), then be transferred (see previous comment about the phone
    receptionists) to a supposed supervisor, only to finally be transferred to
    someone who tells me that the warranty has expired and wants me to pay $40.00
    for the technical support to do the right thing that I want and need to do.
    First, the device works fine (as evidenced by this e-mail that you have
    just received)!
    Second, why should I have to pay for doing the right thing?
    Third, if I am going to be EXTORTED into buying a new wireless router so
    that I can do the right thing and set up an encryption key for a secure
    network, what on Gods' Green Earth makes anyone think that I would CHOOSE to
    buy another Linksys product when ALL that I have ever received from them is a
    functional wireless router (yes, even after seven whole years) and the
    crappiest Customer Service/Technical Support I have ever had the displeasure
    to encounter!
    I shall copy this letter and try to find as many Chat Rooms as possible in
    order to spread the word of ALL that I have gone through with the Chain of
    Command at the Linksys phone center, well above and beyond what any
    reasonable person should expect to go through, and still have NO RELIEF
    concerning my singular issue with their product and its capabilities that I
    SHOULD be able to enjoy as the owner of said product! What has happend to
    "The Customer Is Always Right" Customer Service mantra (I can't say "In
    America" because the call was handled in India)? Is the Customer, the ones
    that makes the company what it is through the purchase of products, so
    worthless to the company that they can just be treated with abject contempt
    and scorn? Is the Customer to thus be trampled underfoot? Are we paying to
    be so abused? I, for one (yes, one, the beginning of all), shall NOT be
    treated in such manner, and CERTAINLY shall NOT PAY to be treated as such!
    In this world of expanding technologies, it shall be those with the
    GREATEST Customer Appeal that shall continue to be found worthwile in the
    publics' eyes (and pocketbooks) and shall grow to meet the demands of a
    growing world - ESPECIALLY in the Electronics Department!
    It is now my strongest desire that the Linksys Corporation suffers
    irreparable damage and goes out of business for their Crappy Customer
    Service! I can only hope that I reach enough people around the world to bring
    this desire true!

    Phil, Oct 18, 2008
  5. Mike

    Phil, Oct 18, 2008