    a big fan of glossy, which is all I see around here.)

    Please reply here, email addy is for the spammers)

    Thnx

    Dustbunny, Dec 25, 2004

  2. Dustbunny

    Don Lathrop Guest

    Dustbunny wrote:

    >I just bought an Epson R800 photo printer,
    > and would appreciate any advice on matte
    > or luster papers that work well with it.

    I'd stick with Epson myself. I've had good luck
    with Epson paper on my Epson printers, and
    bad luck with Kodak and HP.

    > (I'm just not a big fan of glossy, which is all
    > I see around here.)

    I prefer glossy. I think you get a better image,
    but to each her own.

    Don Lathrop, Dec 25, 2004

  3. The Epson site has a search tool to help you out. I like the Velvet fine
    arts paper. YMMV
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/pamPaperFinder.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes

    Gene Palmiter, Dec 25, 2004
  4. Dustbunny wrote:
    > I just bought an Epson R800 photo printer, and would appreciate any
    > advice on matte or luster papers that work well with it. (I'm just

    not
    > a big fan of glossy, which is all I see around here.)
    >
    > Please reply here, email addy is for the spammers)
    >
    > Thnx

    I've had bad luck with IBM glossy on my Epson C82--I think you use
    different inks in the R800. The magenta ink can rub off within the
    first few minutes of printing. The IBM paper also has an orange peel
    look to it, like a less than great paint job on an automobile. Just
    letting you know.

    Casey dot Hancock, Dec 25, 2004
  5. Dustbunny

    Mike G. Guest

    I suggest you consider trying some of the papers from Red River. They
    get very good reviews from many users in various newsgroups. The
    consensus sems to be 'very good quality at a reasonable price'.

    http://www.redriverpaper.com/

    They have a number of papers which are specifically formulated for
    pigment inks, like Epson's UltraChrome system, they sell a sampler pack
    of a number of different finishes for like $8, plus shipping, so you can
    try a bunch of them for a reasonable price, and they provide free
    downloads of high quality .icm profiles for each paper, specifically
    generated for a large selection of printers, including the R800.

    I've also seen good reviews on Ilford's Galerie series of papers.

    http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/prod_html/galerie/default_prods.htm

    They also provide profiles, including for the R800, but I'm not aware
    that they make it so easy as Red River to try a sampling of their products.

    Mike G., Dec 25, 2004
  6. Dustbunny

    Clyde Guest

    Mike G. wrote:
    <snip>

    > I've also seen good reviews on Ilford's Galerie series of papers.
    >
    > http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/prod_html/galerie/default_prods.htm
    >
    > They also provide profiles, including for the R800, but I'm not aware
    > that they make it so easy as Red River to try a sampling of their products.
    >

    > Dustbunny wrote:
    >
    >> I just bought an Epson R800 photo printer, and would appreciate any
    >> advice on matte or luster papers that work well with it. (I'm just not
    >> a big fan of glossy, which is all I see around here.)
    >>
    >> Please reply here, email addy is for the spammers)
    >>
    >> Thnx

    I will go farther than that on Ilford papers. They are about all I use
    on my R800. Well, in the quality stuff. Ilford's ICC profiles are spot
    on for me. The quality is tops and the price is pretty good too.

    OK, I really like Galerie Glossy Lite. This really is a semi-gloss that
    is close to the gloss. The lite is only a tad less heavy in paper
    weight, but costs a fair bit less. I buy mine here:
    http://www.inkjetart.com/photo_papers/ilford/smooth_gloss.html

    BTW, watch what kind of paper you buy for glossiness. This paper is a
    semi-gloss and Ilford recommends that paper setting. However, that
    setting automatically selects Gloss Optimizer be used. Naturally, that
    will make your final print full glossy.

    You can turn off the "Gloss", but it doesn't look as good to me. Of
    course, Epson Ultrachrome looks pretty glossy on this paper, even
    without the Gloss Optimizer. The Gloss Optimizer smooths out the
    glossiness of the prints. It also helps cover up any 'bronzing' effects
    that you may get. This printer doesn't bronze nearly as much as most,
    but the GO does pretty much eliminate it.

    I don't use it nearly as much, but the Ilford Smooth Heavyweight Matte
    is also a super paper. The driver doesn't use GO on this paper. I don't
    use matte because most of my customers (wedding) don't think a picture
    is 'photo' unless it's glossy. When they see matte they think "just
    inkjet". When it's glossy, they think "professional photo". Go figure.

    Clyde

    Clyde, Dec 25, 2004
  7. Dustbunny

    Kwiter Guest

    Kwe Kwe Hello, I usually bought Epson Glossy Paper at CostCo, CHEAP and
    good quality, $19.95 per 120 sheets. It seems they only carry
    Kodak(Hate it!) and their own house brand Kirkland. I just tried the
    Kirkland and was suitably impressed, can't comment on lightfastness yet
    but the images it produces are STUNNING, super glossy paper. $18.99 per
    125 sheets

    I just finished printing up 35 Calanders for the family with it. I LIKE
    IT! I also liked Konica Paper when I used it

    Kwiter, Dec 25, 2004
  8. Dustbunny

    Kwiter Guest

    Kwe Kwe Hello, I usually bought Epson Glossy Paper at CostCo, CHEAP and
    good quality, $19.95 per 120 sheets. It seems they only carry
    Kodak(Hate it!) and their own house brand Kirkland. I just tried the
    Kirkland and was suitably impressed, can't comment on lightfastness yet
    but the images it produces are STUNNING, super glossy paper. $18.99 per
    125 sheets

    I just finished printing up 35 Calanders for the family with it. I LIKE
    IT! I also liked Konica Paper when I used it

    I have 3 Epson Printers, an ANCIENT 670, a 785EPX Photo printer and I
    just picked up a All in one CX4600

    Kwiter, Dec 25, 2004
  9. Dustbunny

    Dustbunny Guest