    to 8x10.

    Thanks so much

    Paula Sims

    Paula Sims, Jun 22, 2004

  2. Paula Sims

    Roger Guest

    Paula,

    I'm just making the cross over to digital, film will still be my major
    photo interest for a while. However, to fill in the gaps when I can't
    carry my heavy SLR, I just purchased a Canon S60, 5MP small P&S
    digital. The major motivation for this particular camera was the 28mm
    (35mm equivalent focal length lens), the ability to shoot in raw mode
    and the small size. I spent the week end getting familiar with the
    camera and saved a few "Father's Day" snaps. The 8x10 output looks
    good at 100% and the cropped and printed 4x6's were very good.

    I'll be using this along side of my Contax T3 film P&S for those times
    I need to travel light.

    There are a couple of things I wish were different and may not have
    been satisfactory if this were my only camera (e.g. non-center tripod
    socket, no external flash capability, only single custom mode).
    However, for it's intended purpose; a carry anywhere, digital, wide
    zoom range with good low-light assist (at reasonable distances),
    independently controlled flash output exposure (but not hot shoe or
    external sync), RAW mode,\ and single custom mode, this will do the
    job for me for quite a while. (BTW - chromatic aberration looks quite
    low).

    I haven't figured out the "P" mode yet, it has a strong f2.8 (e.g.
    wide open) bias. I have Av mode set with my preferred "aperture"
    results. Also haven't figured out what triggers "auto ISO" just yet,
    but that's coming. Right now my preferred mode is Av. The multi-zone
    focusing works only in "Auto". However, like all small sensor digitals
    the DOF is so great that multi-zone focusing seems to me like a bit of
    over kill. I have the custom mode set to a snap mode with lens manual
    focused to eliminate as much delay as possible - this is for street
    work. You can also force exposure lock and flash-exposure lock rather
    cleverly so that you can meter and then recompose shots.

    Regards,
    Roger

    Roger, Jun 22, 2004

  3. Paula Sims

    Jose Marques Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Paula Sims wrote:

    > I have the Canon 300d and I really like it. However, there are times
    > when I can't bring the camera because it's just too big. I'm looking
    > for suggestions for a P & S camera that take excellent pictures

    [Snip]

    Something from the top-end of the Canon IXUS range. I have a V3 (no
    longer sold). It's only 3MP but I've had 30cmx20cm prints made which look
    good on the wall. The newer models go up to 5MP.

    --
    Jose Marques

    Jose Marques, Jun 22, 2004
  4. Paula Sims

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    I recently bought a Pentax 43WR as my P&S backup to my dSLR. My
    motivation was a bit different: I lost a day of shooting while hiking
    Vikos Gorge in Greece due to heavy rain (had to keep the dSLR in my pack
    well wrapped). The 43WR is a 4 mp P&S with 2.8x zoom and can be
    immersed in one meter of water for 30 min and still work. It is also
    reasonably small and light (8 oz or so loaded).

    Picture quality is not the best (dSLRs tend to spoil!), but certainly
    adequate for my uses. Got some excellent shots in Sequoia NP with it
    last week. Now I tend to keep it with me at all times.

    I'm not sure there is a review anywhere on line yet (it was released in
    May or June). But there is a 33WR review somewhere (43WR adds some
    useful features and a megapixel but is otherwise pretty much the same
    camera).

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 22, 2004
  5. Paula Sims

    nellybly Guest

    In article <QuYBc.59330$>, Phil Wheeler
    <> wrote:

    > I recently bought a Pentax 43WR as my P&S backup to my dSLR. My
    > motivation was a bit different: I lost a day of shooting while hiking
    > Vikos Gorge in Greece due to heavy rain (had to keep the dSLR in my pack
    > well wrapped). The 43WR is a 4 mp P&S with 2.8x zoom and can be
    > immersed in one meter of water for 30 min and still work. It is also
    > reasonably small and light (8 oz or so loaded).
    >
    > Picture quality is not the best (dSLRs tend to spoil!), but certainly
    > adequate for my uses. Got some excellent shots in Sequoia NP with it
    > last week. Now I tend to keep it with me at all times.
    >
    > I'm not sure there is a review anywhere on line yet (it was released in
    > May or June). But there is a 33WR review somewhere (43WR adds some
    > useful features and a megapixel but is otherwise pretty much the same
    > camera).
    >
    > Phil

    Steve's Digicams posted a review not too long ago:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/optio43wr.html
    NB

    nellybly, Jun 22, 2004
  6. Paula Sims wrote:

    > Hello all,
    > I have the Canon 300d and I really like it. However, there are times
    > when I can't bring the camera because it's just too big. I'm looking
    > for suggestions for a P & S camera that take excellent pictures
    > (clear, good color balance) with good autofocus (I have very bad
    > eyes), good in low light, and hopefully a fast shutter speed. Price
    > not an issue, neither is recording media (I have CF cards, dX cards,
    > SD cards, etc). Looking for good quality output that can be enlarged
    > to 8x10.
    >
    > Thanks so much
    >
    > Paula Sims

    I don't think you can go wrong with a Canon S410 (4MEG) or S500 (5MEG).
    I have both and have found them to be effectively foolproof.
    Excellent focus, extremely sharp (great 8x10s, even 11x14s), and
    excellent expsure values. In well over 95% of the shots I have taken, I
    couldn't have done better with a fully manual camera. I'm doing
    exactly the same thing. I want both a super compact camera and a DSLR.
    However, I fear I may almost never carry the DSLR, as the the pictures
    are so good with the smalll camera. Once you get over the idea that you
    have very little choice in settings and just look at the results, it's
    a bit unsettling!

    Joe

    Joseph Miller, Jun 22, 2004
  7. Paula Sims

    bagal Guest

    it seems awfully quiet - and while G & G'ette are absent perhaps all will
    understand if I put:

    have u tried the SDx and Foveon yet?

    There, I did it!

    I am sure all will understand :)