    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    , Sep 8, 2006

  2. In message <>,
    wrote:

    > We are looking to add forums to multiple pages in our website.

    I have no direct experience with this, but I've just been reading in the
    September issue of APC magazine about Joomla. Have you looked at that?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 8, 2006

  3. Anony Mouse Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi.
    > We are looking to add forums to multiple pages in our website. We want
    > our profile pages to each have a forum similar to the one found on
    > MySpace profiles (in the MY Friends space where they can leave messages
    > for each other). Our web designer said this would be very hard to do,
    > so we are trying to find an open-source forum that would be similar.
    > Any suggestions?
    > Thanks!

    Not sure how many of these will be useful to you or how relevant.
    These are from old web pages I made. Some won't work.

    You can also ask on Undernet IRC #linuxhelp and #nzlinux (Talk to wishes
    she has nz related pages for debian)

    http://www.getlinuxhelp.org/

    If the link does not work try going to the top level of the url as much
    has changed since I did the pages.

    I would love to see what you end up with.
    bencom at bencom dot co dot nz
    E me if I can be of any help.

    Regards
    Anony Mouse

    http://eunuchs.org/linux/index.html
    http://linuxresources.com/linus.html
    http://linuxresources.com/what.html
    http://lugww.nllgg.nl/
    http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/LDP/gs/
    http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO
    http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/Bridge
    http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/Modules
    http://news.freshmeat.net/
    http://quay.co.nz/
    http://slashdot.org/
    http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP
    http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/
    http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO.html
    http://www.cheapbytes.com/
    http://www.control-escape.com/
    http://www.debian.org/
    http://www.drfloppy.co.nz/linux.html
    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Grid/2272/
    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/9267/fud2.html
    http://www.kernel.org/
    http://www.linux.gen.nz
    http://www.linuxnow.com
    http://www.linuxresources.com/
    http://www.linuxresources.com/help.html
    http://www.linuxresources.com/online.html
    http://www.lwn.net/
    http://www.mlckew.edu.au/~shane
    http://www.phys.canterbury.ac.nz/~physmsa/linux/index.html#GROUPS
    http://www.phys.canterbury.ac.nz/~physmsa/linux/usersgroup/index.html
    http://www.radix.net/~cknudsen/linuxnews/
    http://www.redhat.com/
    http://www.slackware.com/
    http://www.slackware.com/forum/
    http://www.slackware.org
    http://www.sneep-net.gen.nz
    http://www.ssc.com/linux/LDP/index.html
    http://www.ssc.com/linux/resources/apps.html
    http://www.ssc.com/lj/images/english.au
    http://www.suse.com/index_us.html
    http://www.win.co.nz
    http://www.xnet.com/~blatura/linapps.shtml
    http://xlink.zdnet.com
    Anony Mouse, Sep 9, 2006
  4. Adam Guest

    On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 10:06:49 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >In message <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> We are looking to add forums to multiple pages in our website.

    >I have no direct experience with this, but I've just been reading in the
    >September issue of APC magazine about Joomla. Have you looked at that?

    Joomla's only a CMS (content management system) - though it can run a
    forum components. Joomla's main strengths (IMHO) are in the "blog"
    style of site. I hated it at first, but it's really not bad.

    If you're after forums, then a quick google will find heaps - all you
    then need to do is visit a few.

    phpBB is a popular one - but being what they are, they attract a lot
    of attention from the Internet vandals (hacker's too good a word) so
    security is always a problem.

    I set up a phpBB board as a test: http://www.dumpme.net but the
    project never really took off. It gets regularly spammed with dozens
    of bot registrations - even though I have the phpBB"captcha" module
    running - and a secret question (about Auckland). How the bots get
    past that one I'm not quite sure ... yet.

    Adam.
    Adam, Sep 9, 2006
  5. jasen Guest

    On 2006-09-09, Adam <Adam> wrote:

    > phpBB is a popular one - but being what they are, they attract a lot
    > of attention from the Internet vandals (hacker's too good a word) so
    > security is always a problem.

    > I set up a phpBB board as a test: http://www.dumpme.net but the
    > project never really took off. It gets regularly spammed with dozens
    > of bot registrations - even though I have the phpBB"captcha" module
    > running - and a secret question (about Auckland). How the bots get
    > past that one I'm not quite sure ... yet.

    you need a different captcha... bots may have been tuned to the phpBB one.

    type the question into google.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Sep 9, 2006
  6. Shane Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi.
    > We are looking to add forums to multiple pages in our website. We want
    > our profile pages to each have a forum similar to the one found on
    > MySpace profiles (in the MY Friends space where they can leave messages
    > for each other). Our web designer said this would be very hard to do,
    > so we are trying to find an open-source forum that would be similar.
    > Any suggestions?
    > Thanks!

    A forum is on my todo list and I have this page bookmarked
    http://www.thinkofit.com/webconf/forumsoft.htm

    Allaire Forums (also known as Cold Fusion Forums)
    Previously a commercial product, now available as free open-source
    software. Based on Allaire's Cold Fusion, a tool for creation of
    interactive Web database applications.
    Developer: ForumSpot.org and Allaire Corp.
    Platform: Windows

    ASP-DEV Discussion Forum
    Linear forum software somewhat similar to Ultimate Bulletin Board
    implemented with Active Server Pages.
    Developer: ASP Resources
    Platform: Windows

    ASP Forums
    Threaded message board software implemented with Active Server Pages,
    Javascript, and VBScript. Any ODBC/SQL compliant database can be used for
    message storage.
    Developer: ASP Forums
    Platform: Windows

    AZbb
    Forum based on PHP. Free for nonprofit and personal use.
    Developer: AZ
    Platform: UNIX, Windows

    Backtalk
    Linear forum software, compatible with YAPP. Comes with C source code.
    Developer: Jan Wolter and Steve Weiss
    Platform: UNIX

    Basic Bulletin Board Script
    See WebBBS.

    Bazaar
    Bazaar is configurable through template files, allowing the creation of
    a variety of applications in addition to message boards, such as polls,
    FAQs, and announcement boards.
    Developer: Mike Sosteric
    Platform: UNIX (written in Perl)

    BBMatic
    Simple bulletin board software.
    Developer: Joe DePasquale
    Platform: UNIX (written in Perl)

    Beehive Forum
    Open-source forum based on PHP and MySQL. Features frame-based layout,
    email notification, private messaging system, and extendable user profiles.
    Developer: Various
    Platform: UNIX, Windows

    BlazeBoard
    PHP-based message board software with email notification, instant
    messaging, polls, and other features.
    Platform: UNIX

    Caucus
    Formerly a commercial product, Caucus is a high-end, powerful, and
    extremely customizable linear forum software, now available as open source.
    Support, services, and add-ons are available for a fee.
    Developer: CaucusCare
    Platform: UNIX

    Ceilidh
    Displays the developer's banner ads. (Buying the commercial version lets
    you eliminate the ads.) Features e-mail notification and listserv
    capabilities.
    Developer: Lilikoi Software
    Platforms: UNIX, Windows, OS/2, Macintosh

    Class-1 Forum Software
    Forum software based on PHP and MySQL, and distributed under the GNU
    General Public License.
    Developer: Class-1 Web Design
    Platform: UNIX, Windows

    Code Project Discussion Boards
    Open source message board software, implemented as an Active-X control
    and ASP scripts.
    Developer: Uwe Keim and Chris Maunder
    Platform: Windows

    Community Server :: Forums (formerly ASP.NET Forums)
    Open source forum software featuring RSS, file attachments, topic
    rating, and email notification, based on Visual Studio .NET C#.
    Developer: Telligent Systems
    Platform: Windows

    ConferWeb
    Simple system with linear discussions. Also suitable for use as a
    guestbook.
    Developer: Brian Johnson
    Platform: Macintosh

    COW - Conferencing On Web
    Exceptionally powerful for a freeware product. Similar to YAPP.
    Developer: Eric Klavins, San Francisco State University, University of
    Michigan
    Platform: UNIX

    CrazyWWWBoard Limited Edition
    Freeware version of CrazyWWWBoard.
    Developer: Nobreak Technologies, Inc.
    Platforms: UNIX, Windows

    Discus
    Uses a tree structure for categorizing topics and subtopics, but each
    discussion is presented as a continuous, linear stream of responses.
    Available in English and several other languages.
    Developer: DiscusWare, LLC
    Platforms: UNIX, Windows (written in Perl)

    DiscussionWeb
    Remembers what you have read (something most freeware systems can't do).
    Developer: Bob McQueen
    Platform: Windows (Written in Perl; UNIX version planned.)

    D3E - Digital Document Discourse Environment
    Open Source tool for document-centered discussions. Works with
    customized versions of HyperNews and Phorum.
    Developer: Tamara Sumner, Simon Buckingham Shum, and others
    Platform: Windows, UNIX

    E-Blah
    Open source bulletin board implemented in Perl.
    Developer: Justin
    Platforms: Windows, UNIX

    eThreads
    Supports distributed servers. Requires Perl and mySql.
    Developer: Eric Richardson
    Platform: UNIX

    Forum News Gateway
    Usenet News gateway. No longer supported by its developers, but still
    available.
    [Description in WWW Unleashed]
    Developer: Geometry Forum, Swarthmore College
    Platform: UNIX

    FruitWare BBS
    Displays all messages in a forum on one page.
    Developer: FruitWare
    Platform: UNIX (written in Perl)

    FUDforum
    Bulletin board with many features, including tracking which posts each
    user has read, moderation, support for multiple languages, and integration
    with newsgroups and email lists. Requires PHP and MySQL or PostgreSQL.
    Developer: Advanced Internet Designs
    Platform: UNIX

    Hypermail
    E-mail gateway: permits Web browsing of a mailing list archive.
    [Description in WWW Unleashed]
    Developer: Enterprise Integration Technologies
    Platform: UNIX

    HyperNews
    Allows discussions to be distributed across multiple Web servers.
    [Description in WWW Unleashed]
    Developer: Daniel LaLiberte
    Platform: UNIX

    Ikonboard
    Flat (linear) message board software featuring email notification and
    instant messaging.
    Developer: Ikonboard.com
    Platform: UNIX (written in Perl)

    InterMix
    Allows readers to register approval and interest ratings for each
    message. Complete source code is freely available.
    Developer: Collective Communication Inc.
    Platform: Windows

    Invision Power Board
    Based on PHP and mySQL. Requires a license fee if you want to remove the
    Invision "powered by" and copyright notices. Also available as a hosted
    service.
    Developer: Invision Power Services
    Platform: UNIX

    JForum
    Open source forum software implemented in Java. Requires a database
    (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, SQL Server, etc.)
    Developer: Rafael Steil and the JForum Team
    Platform: Windows, UNIX

    jGossip
    Forum software based on Java and the Struts framework.
    Developer: jResearch.org
    Platforms: UNIX, Windows, Mac

    lightNews (previously lwNEWS and vw3news)
    An open source application.
    Developer: Veikko Wünsche
    Platform: UNIX (written in Perl)

    LWGate
    Web interface to mailing lists; includes Web browsing of a mailing list
    archive.
    Developer: David W. Baker
    Platform: UNIX (written in Perl)

    meep!Board
    Developer: Standpipe Studios
    Platform: UNIX (written in Perl)

    MHonArc
    E-mail gateway: permits Web browsing of a mailing list or newsgroup
    archive.
    Developer: Earl Hood
    Platforms: UNIX, MS-DOS

    miniBB
    A minimalist, yet nicely designed, bulletin board. Can be integrated
    with an existing user database. Open source. Requires PHP and either mySQL
    or PostgreSQL.
    Developer: Paul Puzyrev and Sergei Lariono
    Platforms: UNIX, Windows (written in PHP)

    MyBulletinBoard (MyBB)
    Free bulletin board based on PHP and mySQL.
    Developer: Chris Boulton and others
    Platform: UNIX, Windows (written in PHP)

    mod_virgule
    Open source forum and blog software which drives Advogato. Also see the
    Virgule scripting engine.
    Developer: Raph Levien and others
    Platforms: UNIX

    mwForum
    Open source threaded forum software implemented with Perl and MySQL. The
    user interface is available in English, German, and several other
    languages.
    Developer: Mark Wichitill
    Platform: UNIX

    NeoBoard
    Open source message board software implemented with PHP and MySQL.
    Features e-mail notification.
    Developer: Wankyu Choi
    Platform: UNIX

    Net.Polemics
    Still under development. Uses a threaded structure but displays each
    topic as a continuously scrolling discussion.
    Developer: Jacob Zielinski
    Platform: Windows

    OpenACS
    A suite of open source modules designed for building web-based
    communities, originally based on ArsDigita's ACS.
    Developer: Ben Adida, Don Baccus, and others
    Platform: UNIX

    Phorum
    Open source message board software implemented with PHP and MySQL.
    Features e-mail notification and moderated posting.
    Developer: Brian Moon
    Platform: UNIX

    phpBB
    Popular open source message board software implemented with PHP.
    Features e-mail notification. Requires an external database (MySQL, MS SQL,
    PostgreSQL, or Access).
    Developer: The phpBB Group
    Platform: UNIX, Windows, Macintosh

    PHP/FI Webboard
    Simple bulletin board software implemented with PHP/FI and MySQL. Sample
    discussion is in Russian.
    Developer: Mark Napartovich
    Platform: UNIX

    PHP-Nuke
    A Usenet News system based on PHP.
    Developer: phpnuke.org
    Platform: UNIX

    PHPSlash
    A version of Slash, ported from the original Perl to PHP.
    Developer: Various (open source)
    Platform: UNIX

    Prattle
    Simple open source forum software with a linear conversation structure,
    implemented with PHP and MySQL.
    Developer: Steve Yelvington
    Platform: UNIX

    Quicksilver Forums
    Open source forum software implemented with PHP and MySQL.
    Platforms: UNIX, Windows

    Ruboard
    Simple BBS software, originally modelled after WWWBoard.
    Developer: Andrew Maltsev
    Platform: UNIX (written in Perl)

    Scoop
    Open source system similar to Slash.
    Developers: Brent Metzler, Rusty Foster, Chad Kreimendahl, and others
    Platform: UNIX (written in Perl)

    SEO-Board
    Simple message board implemented with PHP and MySQL. Designed to be
    search engine-friendly.
    Developer: Hristo Hristov
    Platform: UNIX

    SKForum
    Open source system based on J2EE and MySQL, which also features an
    address book, a wiki, polling, a guest book, and other widgets.
    Developer: Anders Hovmöller
    Platform: UNIX

    Slash
    Open source news and message board software implemented with Perl and
    MySQL.
    Developers: Patrick Galbraith, Chris Nandor, Brian Aker, and others
    Platform: UNIX

    SMF (Simple Machines Forum)
    Open source community software based on PHP and MySQL.
    Developers: Jeff Lewis, Joseph Fung, David Recordon, and others
    Platform:Windows, UNIX, Macintosh

    Snitz Forums
    Feature-rich message board software similar to UBB, based on ASP.
    Developers: Snitz Communications
    Platform: Windows, UNIX with ASP-enabled server

    Sporum
    Freeware. Supports both threaded and linear discussions; stores messages
    in an SQL database.
    Developer: KaYue Mak, Smallpig.net, Mike Robb, and others
    Platform: UNIX (written in Perl)

    Squishdot
    Open source blog and discussion software inspired by Slashdot. This is a
    plug-in module for Zope.
    Developer: Butch Landingin and others
    Platform: UNIX

    Synthigence Forum
    Threaded message board software. Requires Microsoft .NET Framework and
    MS Access or SQL Server. Pro version (not free) includes C# source code.
    Developer: Synthigence
    Platform: Windows

    Teemz
    Customizable, linear message board software.
    Developer: Elated Communications, Ltd.
    Platforms: UNIX, Windows (written in Perl)

    Thread-IT
    Simple message board software implemented with Active Server Pages.
    Developer: yMonda
    Platform: Windows

    Ultimate Bulletin Board
    A stripped-down freeware version of the commercial product.
    Developer: Ted O'Neill, Prime Web
    Platform: UNIX, Windows

    UltraBoard
    Free for personal and nonprofit use.
    Developer: Ultrascripts.com
    Platform: UNIX, Windows (written in Perl)

    UseBB
    Free, open source bulletin board software based on PHP and MySQL.
    Features RSS and topic subscriptions via email.
    Developer: Dietrich Moerman and others
    Platform: UNIX

    Vanilla
    Free, open source, multi-lingual discussion forum software based on PHP
    and MySQL.
    Platform: UNIX, Windows

    Venice Web Communities System
    Linear forum software with open source, under development.
    Developer: Eric Bowersox and others
    Platform: UNIX, Windows (written in Java)

    vw3news
    See lightNews.

    W-Agora
    BBS software that features a multilingual user interface and ability to
    upload file attachments to messages. Comes with full source code in PHP.
    Developer: Marc Druilhe
    Platforms: UNIX, Windows

    Washington Candidates Forum
    Free Perl scripts designed to support online debates between candidates
    for office.
    Developer: Sanford Morton
    Platform: UNIX

    WebBBS
    A template you can hack to suit your own needs. Formerly known simply
    as "Basic Bulletin Board Script."
    Developer: Selena Sol
    Platform: UNIX (written in Perl)

    WebMoot (formerly known as WebÞing)
    Features realtime chat and e-mail participation.
    Developer: Nick Kew, WebThing Ltd. (WebÞ)
    Platform: UNIX

    Web Wiz Forums
    ASP-based bulletin board software. Free download, but there is a modest
    fee if you want to remove the Web Wiz branding and links from the user
    interface. Requires MS Access or SQL Server.
    Developer: Bruce Corkhill
    Platform: Windows

    WikiWikiWeb
    A simple but powerful tool that's unlike anything else. Essentially, a
    wiki is an open-ended, interlinked set of web pages that anyone can edit or
    add to. A wiki can be used as a discussion forum, a database, an
    organically grown encyclopedia... you name it. There are now many versions,
    written for many different platforms. A list is available here.
    Developer: Ward Cunningham and others
    Platforms: Many

    WWWBoard
    Very widely used.
    Developer: Matt Wright
    Platform: UNIX

    W3 Interactive Talk (WIT)
    Highly structured forum software designed for group decision making.
    Probably the first Web forum system (created June 1994).
    [Description in WWW Unleashed]
    Developer: Ari Luotonen, CERN
    Platform: UNIX

    W3news
    CGI-based Usenet newsreader. Connects directly to NNTP servers. Page
    layout is configurable through template HTML pages.
    Developer: Kasper Peeters
    Platform: UNIX

    XMB Forum (Extreme Message Board)
    Based on PHP and MySQL.
    Developer: XMB Group
    Platforms: UNIX

    YaBB (Yet another Bulletin Board)
    Perl-based message board software.
    Developer: Zef Hemel and others
    Platforms: UNIX, Windows (written in Perl)

    YaBB SE
    Enhanced version of YaBB. No longer being supported, since the
    development team has gone on to create SMF.
    Developer: various
    Platforms: UNIX, Windows (written in Perl)

    Yazd
    Open source, Java-based forum software. Uses JDBC to connect to a wide
    range of supported databases. The user interface is available in several
    languages.
    Developer: various
    Platform: UNIX

    zForum
    Zope-based forum. Works with MySQL or Postgres.
    Developer: various
    Platform: UNIX, Windows

    Zorum
    Based on PHP and MySQL. Supports both linear and threaded discussion
    views. A commercial release is planned, but the original will remain free
    for noncommercial users.
    Developer: Zoltan Nagy
    Platform: Linux
    --
    Fry: We're in the middle of nowhere, which is the safest part of nowhere.

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Sep 11, 2006